Let's talk EDGE - what are your first impressions?

russg140

Difficult to judge, based on the renderings. My initial impression is that the "clean lined" cabin spaces look a little cold. I don't want a hotel room on a ship. I want an inviting and practical room that will serve as my "home away from home." I want decent storage spaces where I can put all my stuff and keep the cabin organized. Shelves, hooks, drawers and functional closet space.

And while I'd have to experience the new balcony set up before commenting, I'm not so sure it would work for me.

We'll have to wait and see.

I know they mentioned extra storage, but where is it? Perhaps the drawings are incomplete, but from what I can see, there is less storage than S-class since the over the bed storage is gone. At least the end tables seem to have a drawer but where is the rest?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To me it looks like Celebrity are getting confused with Royal Caribbean and adding gimmicks rather than focusing on a quality product. The magic carpet seems to stand out like a sore thumb, making the ship look very unbalanced. I have my doubts about the mechanism for the magic carpet and virtual balcony 'windows' in a salt air environment and can see them becoming a maintenance nightmare in the making, and bi-fold doors tend not to be very durable.

It will be interesting to see what the public areas are like, as these are pretty important to the majority of passengers.

Overall I think Edge looks great so far. But I'm not sure about those infinite verandas. It feels more like a bigger room with a giant window you can open or close, rather than an balcony. The walls go right up to the edge of the ship and it just looks a touch claustrophobic when compared to a traditional balcony.

I thought the same thing. A regular balcony is open all around it so air flows (too much sometimes) all around for an out-door feel. A large open window isn't going to be the same. Will it be enough?

Magic Carpet seems a little silly. With its limited capacity and approximately 3500 passengers, how often do you think you will be able to enjoy it, if at all?

Think about the Anthem of the Seas -- you need to make a reservation or line up an hour before or more to get into that thing that goes out over the ocean -- and it only operates under optimal weather conditions.

Yes, many people cruise for just the ship, but the ports of call at this point are the same old thing.

I'm sure the ship will be beautiful once it is completed, but we will wait to see how the reviews come in to book a cruise on it or the next ship due.

Sailing the Summit this summer for the 4th time, so I think it's time we try the S-class first before jumping on board the Edge class.

My only critique at this point is wondering who was in charge of determining cabin/veranda sizes.

I cant fathom that all three levels of Sky Suites have a larger balcony then the Royal Suite. 72 sq ft for the RS? 2-3xs the price of a SS?

Are they intending to have whirlpools on the balcony of a RS? Where would they put it?

I am very excited by the Edge. I think the infinite cabins are a great idea, since it will provide more interior room when wanted. I am concerned about the French doors though. Since they open in, it would seem that the wind could push them open. I would have thought they would open out toward the sea. We live in south Florida where homes are built with outside doors opening out, due to the hurricane requirements, so I thought it would be desirable for the Edge doors too. I am sure the ship designers have considered this; but it was just a thought.

I like the Magic Carpet, since it will be very nice for tender ports, although, I don't think there are many tender ports on the current itineraries. It should also provide some great views. I don't think I would want to have a cabin anywhere near it though.

I was happy to put a deposit down on a January 2019 infinite veranda. I don't want to be in the sun but I do want to look at the ocean. This seems perfect! Also I'm interested in seeing some different restaurants and lounge areas. I absolutely love the S Class ships, but we sail several times a year on them and find ourselves ready for something different! But I certainly still plan on sailing on S Class again.

Love the look and feel of Edge! Interior design is trend forward and is in line with what is currently happening at high end hotels and resorts worldwide, much like Solstice back when she was introduced almost a decade ago. I love that Celebrity stays current with interior trends and doesn't maintain stagnancy in traditional ship design like so many other cruise lines. That is one of the many things about the Celebrity product that keeps me hooked. Had a fabulous week aboard Silhouette earlier this month!!

1. Magic Carpet - impinges on cheapest Aqua rooms, empty when not hot, ugly hanging off of one side, gimmicky like cheaper lines

2. A clear introduction of first and second class

3. Muted and modern colours without a hint of luxury (yet)

4. The garden area looks nice, but no better than the lawn area on S Class

5. Same old itineraries

6. Very expensive

7. Great walkway above the pool

Hopefully, when the areas regular passengers are allowed into are released, it will look more appealing, because so far, it looks very similar to MSC Mereviglia, when it should be aiming much higher

The ship, for the most part, is nice.

Too much WHITE for me; much like Cruise Critic's new format.

The chairs at the desk/dressing table look CHEAP and uncomfortable.

I'll wait for the novelty to wear off before I jump in. The prices WILL drop once the newness wears off and reality sinks in....

I think the big win of the magic carpet will be at tendered ports. Looks like a much more civilized way to get on a tender. We'll see how it works out though.

I love the infinite balcony idea and I think that if you're paying the prices they're asking for a suite I have no problem at all if you get a retreat area and private dining room included. What some people are missing is that when they venture into the common areas the level of service will need to remain and that will benefit everyone.

I'm not surprised the prices are higher - the one recently that surprised me was the new Oasis class ship that wasn't more expensive on release, probably because it was the 4th ship in the class though. There is an extra benefit to some to being the first and I'm totally okay with them charging more for that. I'll wait a bit to try it out although I think the next cruise I book I'll lean towards Edge class if possible. Will be the next release of dates though since I'm already booked for 2 in 2018 and not enough vacation time or budget for a third :)

I just posted asking if anyone knew if there are two versions of where the beds are. On S class they are by the balcony or by the bathroom. Anyone know?

Both. See the illustration on this page: http://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/edge-staterooms/

The rooms aren't rectangular: the bed is in the wider part of the room, the counter/couch in the narrower section. (I think I recall a similar design when NCL Epic was unveiled).

Both. See the illustration on this page: http://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/edge-staterooms/

The rooms aren't rectangular: the bed is in the wider part of the room, the counter/couch in the narrower section. (I think I recall a similar design when NCL Epic was unveiled).

It is also like that on the Solstice Class ships. I am concerned that the folding doors can completely open where the bed is next to the balcony. That would be a problem for an infinite balcony.

It is also like that on the Solstice Class ships. I am concerned that the folding doors can completely open where the bed is next to the balcony. That would be a problem for an infinite balcony.

I think it has been figured out. In the lower cabin (bed by bathroom), the bottom doors hinged right at the walls-- the first panel folds out, then the second panel folds in on it; the upper door is hinged out from the wall by that white thingy -- neither of these seems to fold completely flat because there is some obstruction, but it doesn't affect the flow. In the upper cabin (bed by balcony), there is a small partition sticking out from the wall by the beaded the lower door is hinged there -- the first panel is smaller and will fold out, then the second panel will fold in to the bedside table; the other door in that cabin is hinged flush to the wall and there is no obstruction, so I'm guessing that panel folds flat [otherwise there wouldn't be enough room past the end of the bed].

I think it has been figured out. In the lower cabin (bed by bathroom), the bottom doors hinged right at the walls-- the first panel folds out, then the second panel folds in on it; the upper door is hinged out from the wall by that white thingy -- neither of these seems to fold completely flat because there is some obstruction, but it doesn't affect the flow. In the upper cabin (bed by balcony), there is a small partition sticking out from the wall by the beaded the lower door is hinged there -- the first panel is smaller and will fold out, then the second panel will fold in to the bedside table; the other door in that cabin is hinged flush to the wall and there is no obstruction, so I'm guessing that panel folds flat [otherwise there wouldn't be enough room past the end of the bed].

You are most correct and have settled my concerns. I should have looked more closely at it. Thanks so much.

First of all, I love Nate Berkus - he used to be in Bed, Bath, and Beyond and on the Ellen Show. The ship looks beautiful but very modern. My concern as a women in her late 50's is that it is designed for a much younger crowd. That being said, I would love to go on the Edge someday. My husband and I are moving to Florida next year and can drive to Fort Lauderdale saving a ton of money which will give us more access to cruise.

1. Magic Carpet - impinges on cheapest Aqua rooms, empty when not hot, ugly hanging off of one side, gimmicky like cheaper lines.

I think the Magic Carpet is stupid. I would hate to be in one of those rooms it affects.

I like the fresh, modern design of the ship but I think gimmicks like MC should be left for the larger family lines like RCI, NCL and CCL. JMHO.