Who would like to see late evening hours in Windjammer?

"Your competitors do this. Holland America, Princess, MSC, NCL, even Carnival. Please match their offerings, it would be appreciated for our vacation dollars"

Asking any company to match a competitive offering isn't really a tough argument to make. You're letting the company know an area they can improve on that would satisfy you. RCI spends plenty of time giving surveys and talking about surveys; I'm a bit cynical, but some may say they use those surveys to improve things.

Carnival does not charge for room service, however.... There are a few items on the menu that are at a cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival does not charge for room service, however.... There are a few items on the menu that are at a cost.
I myself mention that in this forum yesterday perhaps In This Very thread I don't recall. However, subsequently I had an opportunity to take a look at the room service menu on Carnival. It's really really thin in my estimation. Unless I'm missing something, comparing room service on Carnival to room service on Royal Caribbean or Holland America or Princess doesn't really have much Merit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I myself mention that in this forum yesterday perhaps In This Very thread I don't recall. However, subsequently I had an opportunity to take a look at the room service menu on Carnival. It's really really thin in my estimation. Unless I'm missing something, comparing room service on Carnival to room service on Royal Caribbean or Holland America or Princess doesn't really have much Merit.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Your correct, there is not a big menu on Carnival. The free stuff is all cold food. The charged food, like cheesesteaks, are an up charge.

Does RCI have fridges on their new/re ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now that they are charging for room service I certainly won't hold my breath for better free offerings late at night. Where they have a Promenade Cafe the offerings are pathetic. I'd rather eat cardboard than Sorrento pizza.

Love O'Sheehans!! Once we hit Diamond Plus we will probably spend more money on NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, I disagree with late night windjammer because overnight food will get wasted, however a cooked to order style restaurant that's open 24hrs would be good, it would not have food wastage and could be the point for coffee etc 24/7 like Cafe Promenade. You know, something basic like burger and fries, pancakes, easily cooked food just for those who do want food late

To be fair, I disagree with late night windjammer because overnight food will get wasted, however a cooked to order style restaurant that's open 24hrs would be good, it would not have food wastage and could be the point for coffee etc 24/7 like Cafe Promenade. You know, something basic like burger and fries, pancakes, easily cooked food just for those who do want food late

I agree with your thinking except that I think the menu should be a very limited menu. I know in my younger days I used to love to have breakfast at 2AM after a night of drinking. Now, I rarely, if ever, eat after dinner. No matter what was served in a late night buffet, there would be complaints and wasted food. Having an area with a limited menu will still results in some complaints, but won't have the waste.

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening as it isn't a revenue maker for Royal Caribbean. I am not one to order room service either, but the reasoning for it is BS. It's solely to make money just like everything else. Geez, now with the new price for room service, maybe they can eliminate a couple of employees and use that cabin for guests making even more money!

To be fair, I disagree with late night windjammer because overnight food will get wasted
I appreciate the concern about food waste, however it's really hard to reconcile our Noble intentions like that with a lot of the aspects that we have to accept are standard parts of the way Cruise Lines offer their service. In a way it's kind of like the attitude, "I'm on vacation right now so I need to put the diet on hold for a week." It is not exactly the healthiest perspective but one that helps ensure you get the greatest Value out of the vacation that you purchased. Otherwise you are incurring a different kind of waste.

... maybe they can eliminate a couple of employees and use that cabin for guests making even more money!
I I know you were kidding about repurposing a crew cabin for use by guests, but what I read on the Holland America board they are actually looking to reduce their operational staff a bit to free up some crew cabins for more sales focused Holland America crew members. I suspect all of the main line cruise lines might be looking to do a little bit of that.

Now that they are charging for room service I certainly won't hold my breath for better free offerings late at night. Where they have a Promenade Cafe the offerings are pathetic. I'd rather eat cardboard than Sorrento pizza.

Love O'Sheehans!! Once we hit Diamond Plus we will probably spend more money on NCL.

With the $7.95 room service charge, I do not see the Windjammer expanding hours of operation. NCL's O'Sheehans almost 24 hours service with wait staff would be a better solution to cut down on food waste. It takes less staff to operate than having the buffet open. There are also extra charge menu items available as well as drinks (more $ revenue).

IMO $7.95 is too much to charge for what is on the menu.

MARAPRINCE

Room service would be a better option IMHO.

NO need to get dressed, schlep to WJ. Less folks opening/closing cabin doors, yaking up and down the hall late at night/early moring. Even with a fee, it would work for me:D

Compared to the overall cost of a cruise, $8 ain't breaking the bank. Even on a 7 day cruise, what the heck. It is the time to relax and spoil yourself!

Edited by FireStation46

I always found complimentary hot food choices on at least Freedom class and below ships to be very limited in the evening as Windjammer shuts by 9pm. Your only choice is hot pizza or cold sandwiches/wraps from Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's.

Especially now that RCI are charging $8 for room service I can only wish the Windjammer can shut at 11pm or midnight. All they need to serve like their afternoon tea menu like burgers, hotdogs, nachos etc.

Agreed! And that pizza is pretty gnarly. I've had better frozen pizza.

• 4 weeks later...
Please add my vote for later Windjammer hours. Once upon a time they were open for a midnight snack.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Forums mobile app

I think this is a good idea to have a station or two available for late snacks and coffee.

A limited menu would be appreciated.

My preference is to have the WJ open earlier than the 7 am so that I can gather breakfast items and enjoy them on my balcony. This is important especially when dealing with early tours. Sometimes, I can usually get some fruit and other minor stuff in the D or C lounge, but no muffins, bagels or English muffins.

Whatever staff and food was being used for room service could easily be used to operate a small food station. Probably less wasteful too. I know my kids were hungry when we'd pick them up from Adventure Ocean and the offerings at Cafe Promenade were terrible. On Vision it was even worse at the Park Cafe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

So, I'm gathering there is no food available on the ships after 9 PM other than room service, which I understand now has a charge? Is this correct? Given you are done dinner?

There is pizza available and on ships with a Promenade Cafe, small sandwiches and cookies.

If they are charging for room service now they should expand their buffet hours. That's way too early. No other lines close that early.

NCL charges for room service but the buffet is open until 11pm or later, sometimes with just snacks but it's open. And like another poster said O'Sheehans is open 24 hours. So there is always something available especially after a late party or if you just can't sleep.

And Princess has so much available all the time. I'm still dreaming about those late night pizzas.

How is this going to work?

Edited by Siora7777

Our first cruise, on Carnival, in '91 had late and late late buffets. We didn't cruise again until 2012, on Princess. We stopped in and had a late snack around 11 on a couple of occasions.

When we tried Royal in 2015, we were quite surprised at how early the buffet closed, and how few other options were available. Even nights when the ship didn't leave port until 8 or later, the buffet kept the same hours! That just seemed rude to us.

Needless to say, later hours in the Windjammer would be more than welcome in our opinion. Hopefully, people are saying as much on their post-cruise surveys. If Royal hears it often enough, they just may change it. Maybe.