Voom usage

RRLLAL

My wife and I will be on the Anthem. We both have iphones with Verizon as our carrier. Our kids who will be in the states, also have iphones with Verizon.

Will we be able to text them exactly like we do when we're all in the states?

My wife and I will be on the Anthem. We both have iphones with Verizon as our carrier. Our kids who will be in the states, also have iphones with Verizon.

Will we be able to text them exactly like we do when we're all in the states?

Yes, you can send SMS texts to them via the ship's cell service. This costs $0.50 per text and will be billed on your cell bill from Verizon.

You can also text if you have WiFi Calling or use an internet based texting app, and buy the ship's internet service.

You can do exactly the same thing as in the states, however, you will be roaming. If you have Iphones, then data roaming will be turned off as a default. Texts will cost per text and not subject to your plan as anytime you use the celltower on the ship (or in other countries for the most part) will be considered roaming. However, check with your carrier, AT&T recently started covering Mexico and Canada, so I was covered voice and datawise when i was in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas.

If you're sending "a couple of texts" then if you don't mind the cost, go with the roaming texts. You should get a text from Verizon (or at least I do with AT&T) when you connect to the tower and it will give you the new roaming rates. Also, you might look into seeing if Verizon has a "cruise ship plan" like AT&T which will allow a limited number of calls/texts/data at a set price which is generally much lower than the ala carte roaming fees. It depends on how much contact you want, and if the plan exists and it works for, its probably cheaper that way (AT&T's plan was like 30 bucks for 50 minutes to talk time, 60 bucks for 50 minutes of talk plus 200 texts, i think and 120 is 50 minutes talk, 200 text and a certain amount of data). Verizon may have something similar.

Alternatively, you can use voom, which generally, prior to the cruise, is 11.99/day, you can text (imessage through iphones) and facetime, but no actual phone calls. Anything that uses wi-fi will be accessible and the Anthem is a better system then the older ships. If you wait to board the ship, its 12.99/day for the slow net, and 17.99/day for the surf and stream option. The pre-cruise price is the surf and stream option, which actually does allow you to stream video, albeit slowly, but fast enough to actually enjoy tv and movies from netflix and hulu.

Cellular Data on board and VOOM are two different things... if you buy a VOOM package, then you will turn your iPhone on airplane mode.... then turn wifi on. After you connect, you can send iMessages just as you normally do and people on land will receive them.. this will be fine for anyone using iMessage. SMS texts will not go thru.

Also, another plus.... you can turn wifi calling on your phone and make voice calls to for no charge... if you have the VOOM internet package.

The key is to make sure your devices stay on airplane mode to avoid the expensive cellular data charges on your cellular bill.

You can do exactly the same thing as in the states, however, you will be roaming. If you have Iphones, then data roaming will be turned off as a default. Texts will cost per text and not subject to your plan as anytime you use the celltower on the ship (or in other countries for the most part) will be considered roaming. However, check with your carrier, AT&T recently started covering Mexico and Canada, so I was covered voice and datawise when i was in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas.

If you're sending "a couple of texts" then if you don't mind the cost, go with the roaming texts. You should get a text from Verizon (or at least I do with AT&T) when you connect to the tower and it will give you the new roaming rates. Also, you might look into seeing if Verizon has a "cruise ship plan" like AT&T which will allow a limited number of calls/texts/data at a set price which is generally much lower than the ala carte roaming fees. It depends on how much contact you want, and if the plan exists and it works for, its probably cheaper that way (AT&T's plan was like 30 bucks for 50 minutes to talk time, 60 bucks for 50 minutes of talk plus 200 texts, i think and 120 is 50 minutes talk, 200 text and a certain amount of data). Verizon may have something similar.

Alternatively, you can use voom, which generally, prior to the cruise, is 11.99/day, you can text (imessage through iphones) and facetime, but no actual phone calls. Anything that uses wi-fi will be accessible and the Anthem is a better system then the older ships. If you wait to board the ship, its 12.99/day for the slow net, and 17.99/day for the surf and stream option. The pre-cruise price is the surf and stream option, which actually does allow you to stream video, albeit slowly, but fast enough to actually enjoy tv and movies from netflix and hulu.

You can actually make voice calls if you turn on wi fi calling on your iPhone... cellular data isn't used. Phone is on airplane mode.

We got the VOOM package at $9.99 per phone (x2). So it sounds like from all these responses, just put the phone on airplane mode and send/receive text as usual.

We got the VOOM package at $9.99 per phone (x2). So it sounds like from all these responses, just put the phone on airplane mode and send/receive text as usual.

Assuming you are using a data-based text program. For example, if everyone has an iPhone and are using iMessage, then wifi works. If you use WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger, then wifi works. If your texts require celluar, then they won't work. If you aren't sure, put your phones on airplane mode someplace where you have wifi and see if your texts go through.

Cellular Data on board and VOOM are two different things... if you buy a VOOM package, then you will turn your iPhone on airplane mode.... then turn wifi on. After you connect, you can send iMessages just as you normally do and people on land will receive them.. this will be fine for anyone using iMessage. SMS texts will not go thru.

Also, another plus.... you can turn wifi calling on your phone and make voice calls to for no charge... if you have the VOOM internet package.

The key is to make sure your devices stay on airplane mode to avoid the expensive cellular data charges on your cellular bill.

You can send SMS and MMS via wifi calling.

If you have unlimited data will the iphone work ? or do you need to have the wifi signal thru RCL?

Unlimited data does not include coverage while at sea. If you want internet access while at sea, you should purchase the ship's package. While it is possible to get cellular data at sea, the cost is prohibitive.

Yes. I text with my kids all the time. And I use Wifi Calling on Verizon and can call them, too.

Assuming you are using a data-based text program. For example, if everyone has an iPhone and are using iMessage, then wifi works. If you use WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger, then wifi works. If your texts require celluar, then they won't work. If you aren't sure, put your phones on airplane mode someplace where you have wifi and see if your texts go through.

Hmmm... I put it on airplane mode and have it on my home wifi and the text didn't go through. The error message says turn off airplane mode or use wifi, which I'm doing. Weird. Time to call verizon.

Hmmm... I put it on airplane mode and have it on my home wifi and the text didn't go through. The error message says turn off airplane mode or use wifi, which I'm doing. Weird. Time to call verizon.

Sounds like your phone is not set up for WiFi calling.

Yes. I text with my kids all the time. And I use Wifi Calling on Verizon and can call them, too.

Do the kids at home have to have their iphones turned on to wifi calling? Or just us on the cruise?

It's two steps. You have to turn airplane mode on, but then you have to specifically turn just WiFi back on.

Just putting the phone in airplane mode will turn off data and WiFi by default.

Dan.

With Verizon Wireless WiFi Calling on iPhone you need to set up your account in advance to use it by calling them or going to their website - you need to do this one time only not every trip. Also it appears to be only supported on iPhone 6s or 7 models. It did not work on my 5s.

With Verizon Wireless WiFi Calling on iPhone you need to set up your account in advance to use it by calling them or going to their website - you need to do this one time only not every trip. Also it appears to be only supported on iPhone 6s or 7 models. It did not work on my 5s.

Same with AT&T. Not an option on the 5s, but is an option on the SE, 6, and 7.

Just a heads up. Wife has an iPhone 6 and I a Droid Turbo. We have a family medical situation going on and when we were on Adventure a few weeks ago she could text with other iPhone users but she wasn't getting group texts even from other iPhone users. The kicker was I receiving them on my Droid no matter who they were from using Message+. Maybe someone else can explain it.

I recently used Google Hangouts for making WiFi calls via VOOM on Harmony. Worked perfectly. I was able to call anyone - and the quality was fine. If you want to use Hangouts for texting, the recipient will need a Hangouts account as well.

PS: The VOOM speeds were great.