Haven't cruised in 5 years, what's changed?

We made a spur of the moment decision to get away. Booked yesterday for 3/26 sailing on Liberty! How much has changed in past few years? Do they still use the cards or have they gone to wristbands? What can we do for communication on board? This will be the first time we are taking just our youngest with us. He is 12 and will want some freedom to roam. I looked at the Royal IQ app, but it only looks like it is for certain ships.

Cards are still used on Liberty.

You are allowed to bring on two 750ml bottles of wine per stateroom, no corkage fee anywhere on the ship.

If you don't prepay gratuities, they are automatically added to your onboard account.

No smoking on stateroom balconies.

Prepaid gratuites no longer required for My Time Dining.

I don't think THAT much has changed in the last 5 years....lesser quality of food, perhaps....unless you pay for a specialty restaurant...and drink prices are MUCH higher than you will remember...

I don't think the drink packages 5 years ago were as expensive...and there were all sorts of "levels"...

Overall, the "extras" cost more now!

I agree with the quality of food not what it was. RCCL has been adding more specialty restaurants , more people ignore dress code than before. Liberty was totally refurbished last year, really good Broadway show "Saturday night fever" , ice show also is amazing we sail on her again end of April.

Last time we were on Royal Caribbean dinner in the main dining room and in the Windjammer was pretty much the same with very minor exceptions such as lobster tails and such. And of course the Windjammer had the added benefit of being able to put together your own meal from what's available rather than having to take this protein with that side of that side specifically. Is that all still the same? While we see a lot of value in the main dining room experience we had some really nice meals sitting pretty much by ourselves in the Windjammer.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Last time we were on Royal Caribbean dinner in the main dining room and in the Windjammer was pretty much the same with very minor exceptions such as lobster tails and such. And of course the Windjammer had the added benefit of being able to put together your own meal from what's available rather than having to take this protein with that side of that side specifically. Is that all still the same? While we see a lot of value in the main dining room experience we had some really nice meals sitting pretty much by ourselves in the Windjammer.

Windjammer will have one or two entrees from the MDR, but will also have additional selections.

Windjammer will have one or two entrees from the MDR, but will also have additional selections.
Hmmm... Could someone please expand on that? It sounds like some good news and some bad news, but I'd prefer to be sure I'm understanding it correctly.

Staff cuts. Even in specialty restaurants that charge upwards of $40-50, the service is not what is used to be. Dirty dishes sit longer, service is slower in general, apparently due to reductions in staff.

Specialty restaurants on Liberty range from 20-35, They also have a deal for 3-5 nights , we are doing 5 for 105, the newer ships seem to charge more

In my opinion the drink prices have changed the most in the past 5 years..they are almost forcing you into a drink package if you plan to drink more than 2-3 drinks per day..which is easy to do if you want to have a drink at the pool, then maybe one before dinner and one with dinner..that adds up very quickly! In the "old" days, you could get a glass of wine for around 6.00..now that same glass is around 10.00-12.00.

The Muster drills are much easier now..they used to almost always be outside in the heat. Now many times they are inside and you don't have to take your life jacket anymore.

The check in process is also much quicker and easier. No more really long lines to board the ship. You will notice that Galveston has really improved their check in procedures!

You can do many things from your TV screen where you used to have to go to the Purser's desk.

Food is very subjective but many feel that the quality in the MDR has gone way down. I have to agree in many aspects. We eat in the specialty restaurants much more often than in the past...although I really love the atmosphere in the MDR and getting to know our waiters.

Totally agree on increase on drinks cost, did drink package last 3 years in 2014 everything we liked including Johnny walker Plaitium which is 18 year old scotch was covered , now many of the wines that were covered are now 2 or 3 dollars above the package so we pay the extra few dollars

Hmmm... Could someone please expand on that? It sounds like some good news and some bad news, but I'd prefer to be sure I'm understanding it correctly.

Seems like Indian foods, ham carving station & sushi were on my January Liberty cruise in the windjammer at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums