Okay we have the smoking thread, what about BALCONY MUSIC

You are right, I don't consider other people when I don't wear headphones. That is because they hurt my ears, so I wear them as little as possible. And I especially don't wear them if I am sitting with another person. Now that would be extremely rude. My husband and I will enjoy sitting on our balcony, with our mini speaker, playing our music at a comfortable volume. Now, if my husband was sitting out there alone, he would be wearing his earbuds, because he routinely listens to them via his earbuds. I on the other hand, get extreme ear aches when I use my earbuds for any length of time.

SaveSave

Why should I be forced to listen to YOUR music on MY vacation? "Comfortable volume." Comfortable for who, for you? You are making the unilateral decision that if you feel like listening to music, then your neighbors have no choice but to listen to it also. It's so inconsiderate.

And they make plenty soft headphones. Unless there is something physically wrong with your ears, there are pairs that won't hurt you. I promise.

People who play music without headphones clearly don't consider anybody else before they do. No one should have to stay home to avoid rude people.

Thankfully, most people don't act like that. Generally, I think most people do try to be considerate of others. Imagine a world of people whose approach is "I just do whatever I want and everyone else needs to just get over it." :eek:

Bottom line, there really is just no reasonable excuse not to use headphones to listen to music in close proximity to other people. As others have said, it's just a matter of respect and courtesy.

As I mentioned in my previous post on this thread I keep it at a low level and I will not repeat that long post but I am curious how I could address the headphones thing in my situation. We have two joining rooms/balconies with 4 people in each room for a total of 8 people and we will sit on the balconies and relax and have a drink and have background music play while we chat. I have never seen an 8 port headphone jack and that seems ridiculous anyway to have 8 people all plugged in. I am not sure how there is "no reasonable excuse not to use headphones to listen to music". I think playing music at a reasonable volume loud enough for all 8 people to hear it but low enough that all the neighbors do not need to hear it is very reasonable.

As I mentioned in my previous post on this thread I keep it at a low level and I will not repeat that long post but I am curious how I could address the headphones thing in my situation. We have two joining rooms/balconies with 4 people in each room for a total of 8 people and we will sit on the balconies and relax and have a drink and have background music play while we chat. I have never seen an 8 port headphone jack and that seems ridiculous anyway to have 8 people all plugged in. I am not sure how there is "no reasonable excuse not to use headphones to listen to music". I think playing music at a reasonable volume loud enough for all 8 people to hear it but low enough that all the neighbors do not need to hear it is very reasonable.

Here's your solution. If you want to listen to music, go to the friggin' pool. How often do you get the chance to sit on a balcony in the middle of the ocean, away from the hustle and bustle of the world, and take in the sound of wind and waves? You can have a great time with the ocean as your soundtrack.

And who decides what the "reasonable" volume is? You? You realize those little barriers aren't soundproof, right? We're all on the same freaking ledge. So if you decide to listen to music, you're deciding that your neighbors have to listen to it also, regardless of how "reasonable" the volume is.

What about people above or below you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's your solution. If you want to listen to music, go to the friggin' pool. How often do you get the chance to sit on a balcony in the middle of the ocean, away from the hustle and bustle of the world, and take in the sound of wind and waves? You can have a great time with the ocean as your soundtrack.

And who decides what the "reasonable" volume is? You? You realize those little barriers aren't soundproof, right? We're all on the same freaking ledge. So if you decide to listen to music, you're deciding that your neighbors have to listen to it also, regardless of how "reasonable" the volume is.

You are not a very Happy Happy person are you?

The neighbors Don'T Have to listen.

If sensitive to reasonable sound one may bring earplug.

What if I wanted to leave a bucket of stinking, rotting fish chum on my balcony? Neighbors don't HAVE to smell it! If sensitive to reasonable noise, one may bring a nose clip.

Bringing your own open food onto the ship is prohibited .

What's the verdict on playing music out on your balcony?

I was on the BA 2/26, and these two younger girls were blasting their godawful music on little speakers they connected to their iPhone. I leaned over and politely tried to explain that I wouldn't force them to listen to MY music, but they responded with "Look we're paying for this, too."

Would you call security? Done something else? It annoyed me because the BA has pretty much ZERO outdoor quiet zones, which is why I booked a balcony in the first place.

That is why we go inside rooms now.

My take is that the line is wherever both parties (neighbors) feel comfortable. If one party wants music and the other doesn't - then the line is that the music lover wears headphones/ear buds or shuts off the music. If they can compromise about time frames/volume, that's the line. If they both want music, then no headphones or line needed.

The line, as with anything in life, is where there is mutual respect.

No one is saying that music lovers can't enjoy music on their balcony - they CAN and SHOULD. Just privately, please. :)

I am sorry but I do not understand. How is mutual respect, do what I want you to do with a space you purchased as well?

Mutual respect in this case, I would argue, the music listeners having a respectable volume and the non players respecting their balcony is where there authority ends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually I do, I don't blare it. It is at a comfortable level in which you can still have a conversation with others. Nor do I play it late into the night. But during daylight hours, I am going to enjoy myself on my balcony without being bullied by others. I also will not talk in whispers or not laugh either while on my balcony.

I just hit the like button.

There's no reason they can't wear earbuds.

Exactly. If they're wearing airbuds, they can enjoy their music AND I can enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

If they're playing on speakers, they get to enjoy their music but I DON'T get to enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

If that logic doesn't work for you, then you're a selfish, inconsiderate putz.

Exactly. If they're wearing airbuds, they can enjoy their music AND I can enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

If they're playing on speakers, they get to enjoy their music but I DON'T get to enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

Exactly. But it's impossible to make inconsiderate people recognize themselves - they only see the world from a selfish perspective, so they will just never get it. I was told upthread to "just stay home" if I want to just enjoy the sounds of the ocean on my balcony. (That I ALSO "rented for the week", btw.) That response alone is a clue to how "considerate" some of these folks are in real life. :eek:

It is selfish of them to use what they paid for in a manner that isn't against the rules, however you wanting to impose additional rules on people (that you are arbitrarily choosing) is not selfish?

Again I am only speaking about the case where a person is acting in a responsible manner.

Exactly. But it's impossible to make inconsiderate people recognize themselves - they only see the world from a selfish perspective, so they will just never get it. I was told upthread to "just stay home" if I want to just enjoy the sounds of the ocean on my balcony. (That I ALSO "rented for the week", btw.) That response alone is a clue to how "considerate" some of these folks are in real life. :eek:

You did rent it for the week, which is why you get to choose what goes on within the space you rented. If you rented a space that promised you quiet ocean sounds, every day all day, then I completely agree with you. This isn't the case though. You are wanting to impose additional rules on other because you want something more than what you agreed to.

Granted if a person is being a complete jerk and annoyance that is something different.

I would have reported their rude response.

Why there is no rule against playing music on the balcony. Until there is there are going to be people who do and don't mind music. As long as it's not late at night or out of control volume I don't know what you can do about it. When I went on my cruise last summer there was a couple above us who constantly argued and cursed while on their balcony, I found this to be more annoying than music would've been.

We now live in a society where, quite frankly, people do not consider others, just themselves. They "deserve" what makes them happy.

Three years ago I sold my home and moved to a highrise downtown. Close quarters like a cruise ship. I have a neighbor who slams his door. Every time. And he goes to work at 11:30 pm. Sometimes he wakes me up. But he is a nice guy so I grin and bear it. Maybe I do something that annoys him?

The thing is we all have our own preferences. Some things bother us and somethings don't. Some people don't like loud music other people don't like music with a lot of bass. A little consideration goes a long way.

On our epic cruise a few weeks ago, we thought it was hilarious that whenever we went out to dinner they would set the loudest drunkest people next to us. It didn't matter where we went what time there were the loud family. We just made a big old joke out of it. No sense letting it ruin our dinner.

Now that I think of it, my sister made a tape of Sail-away music. It was pretty calm stuff and she wanted to play it for me… It was sweet of her and yeah it was nice but I'd much rather be listening to George Strait. Or Luke Bryan. There was only one balcony next to us we were at the very forward… And I'm sure they couldn't even hear it.

Edited by DMH15

It's TECHNICALLY not against the rules to have loud, screaming sex on your balcony either, right?

Well it is is the balcony that I PAID FOR, and I should get to use it how I WANT, right? I mean we'll keep the sex to a level that we feel to be reasonable, so why isn't that enough for you?

If it bothers you so much, you can just wear earplugs.

Committing a lewd act in the possible presence of minors is actually a crime. So there's that. As far as the music, there could be rules about noise pollution. I think management would side with proper etiquette and decorum. Someone needs to get on the horn with NCL and ask these probing questions. Haha ;)

It's TECHNICALLY not against the rules to have loud, screaming sex on your balcony either, right?

Well it is is the balcony that I PAID FOR, and I should get to use it how I WANT, right? I mean we'll keep the sex to a level that we feel to be reasonable, so why isn't that enough for you?

If it bothers you so much, you can just wear earplugs.

Normally when you have to qualify a point like that you already know that it might not actually hold. It was clear most of us are saying in a responsible manner.

Sex on the balcony would be against the rules. Also possibly illegally .