Okay we have the smoking thread, what about BALCONY MUSIC

There's a big difference between standing on your balcony while at the port for the last 20 minutes or so to watch the 'runners' and relaxing/reading while out at sea. I don't think many folks sit on their balconies for hours while at port. Additionally, I've never called security on (or reported) another passenger (not even the cigar smokers or spring break partiers)! I was young once:)

I just try to be considerate of everyone's time and money. I wouldn't want to infringe on anyone else's enjoyment of their vacation.

There's a big difference between standing on your balcony while at the port for the last 20 minutes or so to watch the 'runners' and relaxing/reading while out at sea. I don't think many folks sit on their balconies for hours while at port. Additionally, I've never called security on (or reported) another passenger (not even the cigar smokers or spring break partiers)! I was young once:)

I just try to be considerate of everyone's time and money. I wouldn't want to infringe on anyone else's enjoyment of their vacation.

Good comment, thank you.

So what I gather from those that consider this rude in what is being likened to "public space" (completely and coveniently opposite the usual "this is my private space I paid good money to use and you can't invade it or stop me from enjoying it" of this thread's devilish predecessor) and one should conduct themselves accordingly, anyone on a balcony must not speak, giggle, move, fart or even breathe.

I wasn't aware there are library rules now because some people want to sit on their balcony in silence that everyone has to as well or risk being considered rude, nasty and inconsiderate.

What about when the ship is in port and they have music blasting from speakers on the pier for an hour or two before all aboard? Our last cruise was 13 days with 7 ports. Most times our balcony was facing the pier so we heard the music loud and clear. I certainly didn't have a problem with it even though they played some music I wouldn't normally have listened to. I wonder if the people who complain about the music on balconies would complain to Guest Services or call Security. :') :D
yep, the music while in port can be very annoying. I think noise, overdone anywhere can be annoying.

As for the young girls, they should have been polite enough to say I am sorry and turned it down, but kids are kids. Would I call security? Nope probably not.

This happened to us on MSC Divina. The people next to us were playing spanish music very loudly. We did ask them to turn it down and they did, but they said "let us know when you leave so we can crank it up." However, we never heard the music again. As a matter of fact, we never even saw them again.

There is definitely a happy medium in there somewhere. People can be annoying loud, whether it's balcony music or conversation or something else. Just as annoying are folks who demand near-silence to enjoy their cruise.

Agreed. I bring a bluetooth box to use on the beach while in port. But I do play it in my room in the evenings while getting ready for dinner. I would never BLAST it on my balcony or in my room though. Although this upcoming trip there are 8 in my group and I am the only one with an aft balcony. I would assume we will all spend a lot of time on my balcony for sail away parties. And I will have music going on at a low level on the balcony then. I will not play it at night though. Hopefully if it bothers someone they will speak up. I dont want to make anyone elses cruise miserable either.

Wow if this ruins your cruise stay home.

People who play music without headphones clearly don't consider anybody else before they do. No one should have to stay home to avoid rude people.

Thankfully, most people don't act like that. Generally, I think most people do try to be considerate of others. Imagine a world of people whose approach is "I just do whatever I want and everyone else needs to just get over it." :eek:

Bottom line, there really is just no reasonable excuse not to use headphones to listen to music in close proximity to other people. As others have said, it's just a matter of respect and courtesy.

People who play music without headphones clearly don't consider anybody else before they do. No one should have to stay home to avoid rude people.

You are right, I don't consider other people when I don't wear headphones. That is because they hurt my ears, so I wear them as little as possible. And I especially don't wear them if I am sitting with another person. Now that would be extremely rude. My husband and I will enjoy sitting on our balcony, with our mini speaker, playing our music at a comfortable volume. Now, if my husband was sitting out there alone, he would be wearing his earbuds, because he routinely listens to them via his earbuds. I on the other hand, get extreme ear aches when I use my earbuds for any length of time.

SaveSave

You are right, I don't consider other people when I don't wear headphones. That is because they hurt my ears...SaveSave

See, if this were me, I'd probably just be bummed that I couldn't listen to music on my balcony instead of making my earbud/ear pain issue someone else's problem.

Luckily, most people don't look at life this way and are naturally considerate of others. I cruise quite frequently and I've never encountered anyone playing music on their balcony, so I'm not sure this is a huge problem.

In any case, I think it's just common courtesy to ask anyone BEFORE you do something that might be intrusive - such as "Do you mind if I play music?" or "Do you mind if I smoke?" - rather than just doing whatever you feel like and putting it on others to ask you to stop.

See, if this were me, I'd probably just be bummed that I couldn't listen to music on my balcony instead of making my earbud/ear pain issue someone else's problem.

Oh but see, it is not a problem, as I can listen to music on my balcony, that I have in effect rented for a week. Nor do I need to ask anyone for permission to do so. Until there is a ruling, as in the case of smoking on balconies, we all can listen to music on our balconies.

Or they could do what I do, I wear headphones when I watch a movie on a flight, because the earbuds get uncomfortable after some time.

Oh but see, it is not a problem, as I can listen to music on my balcony, that I have in effect rented for a week. Nor do I need to ask anyone for permission to do so. Until there is a ruling, as in the case of smoking on balconies, we all can listen to music on our balconies.

Or to put another way, you have no consideration of others. We got it the first time around.

Or to put another way, you have no consideration of others. We got it the first time around.

Actually I do, I don't blare it. It is at a comfortable level in which you can still have a conversation with others. Nor do I play it late into the night. But during daylight hours, I am going to enjoy myself on my balcony without being bullied by others. I also will not talk in whispers or not laugh either while on my balcony.

You are right, I don't consider other people when I don't wear headphones. That is because they hurt my ears, so I wear them as little as possible. And I especially don't wear them if I am sitting with another person. Now that would be extremely rude. My husband and I will enjoy sitting on our balcony, with our mini speaker, playing our music at a comfortable volume. Now, if my husband was sitting out there alone, he would be wearing his earbuds, because he routinely listens to them via his earbuds. I on the other hand, get extreme ear aches when I use my earbuds for any length of time.

SaveSave

I am sure you did not intend you post to sound as self centred as it does. The fact you need to listen to your music is of prime importance to you, I get that. The admission that you do not consider other people is quite a statement. The reason you cannot use headphones is unfortunate. I am sure your fellow passengers in the surrounding balconies would be sympathetic but not consider this a good reason to subject them to second hand music. It is not just about your needs but other passengers comfort. In saying that, if you do not consider others then there can be no more constructive dialog.

I think this is a very good thread as it has made some of us more aware of our surroundings and the comfort of others when living in close quarters. Not unlike the military, only with way more creature comforts.

So where's the line?

Can music be played if the volume is equal to or under that of normal conversation? And if not, does that mean the couple having breakfast/lunch/dinner on the balcony next door has to do so in silence and can't have a normal conversation? Or do they have to whisper? And if they can have a normal conversation, what's the difference between that and light-playing background music?

Come on folks, I think most of the "pro-balcony music" people on here are probably pretty respectful and wouldn't be blaring music at all hours of the morning/night. There's got to be a middle ground between complete silence and a Metallica concert.

You are right, I don't consider other people when I don't wear headphones. That is because they hurt my ears, so I wear them as little as possible.

You need to invest in a better pair of ear buds that have different sizes; then, when they don't hurt your ears you might be able to consider other people.

So where's the line?

My take is that the line is wherever both parties (neighbors) feel comfortable. If one party wants music and the other doesn't - then the line is that the music lover wears headphones/ear buds or shuts off the music. If they can compromise about time frames/volume, that's the line. If they both want music, then no headphones or line needed.

The line, as with anything in life, is where there is mutual respect.

No one is saying that music lovers can't enjoy music on their balcony - they CAN and SHOULD. Just privately, please. :)

First morning at sea the neighbor next to us started playing beautiful, soulful music on his guitar. Brought tears to my eyes that I had been blessed with yet another magical moment on our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The DW and I listen to music on our balcony through a small blue tooth speaker on sea days as she is crocheting at a low volume, if I hear somebody I will ask them if it's to loud. The music on the DWs ipod is quite eclectic a few rap songs where they drop the Fbomb but mostly Jimmy Buffett style. I put a few I like on there also :evilsmile::confused::'):halo:

Some posters have said they play music on their balcony at a comfortable level. I must say, that for me, my comfortable level would be extremely loud to another person. I like my music loud and that is why I wear my earbuds or headphones, so as not to interrupt someone else's enjoyment of their balcony, etc.

If you want to play music on your balcony without earbudgs/headphones, how about being considerate and if there is someone out on their balcony, ask them if the music is too loud and if they say yes, respect your neighbor enough to turn it down. It is all about being considerate, respectful and a good neighbor, because it is not always about me or you, it is about us.