Carrying cell phone and solo travel?

I am taking my first cruise next month and traveling by myself. I've been doing all the usual planning and thinking things through. One thing that has crossed my mind is when I go to hang out by the pools or hot tubs, or beach. I'm trying to decide what to do with my phone. I have the iPhone 7 which is water resistant I also have it in the lifeproof case which is water proof. Ive considered the idea of just keeping it in my pocket in the water and expecting it to be ok, not quite sure how a hot tub would be.

I've thought about leaving it in my room if I'm doing a water activity but I'd like to have it with me for photo ops and what not. Also on beach days it's not like I'm going to leave it on the ship so once again do I just let it be in my pocket in the water.

I can't fathom placing it down somewhere and expecting no one to touch it the whole trip.

Just thought I'd post here and get some ideas or opinions from anyone. Thanks!

... I can't fathom placing it down somewhere and expecting no one to touch it the whole trip.

Everyone is in the same boat (PI). Just put in in a tote bag with your other things on your lounge chair, and keep it in sight.

You can get waterproof pouches that are large enough for a cellphone, that is on a lanyard. I have one I bought for taking my phone to our neighborhood pool, although I use it more as a case than to actually carry it around. I saw a bunch of people using them on our vacation which is where I got the idea.

I am taking my first cruise next month and traveling by myself. I've been doing all the usual planning and thinking things through. One thing that has crossed my mind is when I go to hang out by the pools or hot tubs, or beach. I'm trying to decide what to do with my phone. I have the iPhone 7 which is water resistant I also have it in the lifeproof case which is water proof. Ive considered the idea of just keeping it in my pocket in the water and expecting it to be ok, not quite sure how a hot tub would be.

I've thought about leaving it in my room if I'm doing a water activity but I'd like to have it with me for photo ops and what not. Also on beach days it's not like I'm going to leave it on the ship so once again do I just let it be in my pocket in the water.

I can't fathom placing it down somewhere and expecting no one to touch it the whole trip.

Leave it in the safe.

Travelling solo... you'll make more friends, in fact you'll be forced to make more friends, if you leave your phone in the safe when you are scheduling some water sports.

I would be hesitant to interrupt somebody who is engrossed in their social media hobby. But a person who is otherwise a free spirit would be a more welcome recipient of my conversation overtures in the hot tub, for example.

I think you'll have a whole lot more fun if you only get the phone out for use as a camera.

Yes, I had an internet connection for my phone. But it was for surfing while in my stateroom. When out and about I enjoyed the company of others and I felt that my phone was a barrier.

I always carry my phone around while on board. I got a case that has card slots for my seapass/S&S card. Besides social media, 90% of people these days use their cell phone as their camera - Yes, of course you can get an additional camera, but then you need to transfer all the pics back to your phone to post on social media anyway, and that's a pain.... so I just use the phone! I echo what others have said about just tucking it in your towel and keeping your stuff as close as possible. The waterproof pouch is another idea. I can tell you I HAVE NEVER PLACED MY PHONE IN THE SAFE, LOL. My phone is in my hand, pocket, or tucked in my towell 100% of my cruise.

FYI - there is usually only ONE outlet in most stateroom cabins ... so if you have more than one device that needs charging, you may want to bring a USB hub with you.

Do you have any old phones?

Take it, too.

For many years, I took and old iPod Touch on vacations where I knew we would be very beachy and wanted to take pictures. If that gets taken or broken, it's not a big deal. Now, having upgraded phones, we have two old iPhones that are still great picture takers, still can connect to the internet, still can run the iQ app.

Heck, one of the two is unlocked, so when we go overseas, I'm going to use it, since it's also a working phone.

Hi! - I have one of the following products (sorry - I couldn't get it to copy the picture or make the print smaller!). It is an amazing product! It is a soft sided purse-like safe, that goes over the metal tubing of the chair or railing that you are near, and locks with a 3 digit combination lock that SAFELY holds your iPhone, SetSail pass, glasses, etc. inside while you swim, go to the restroom, etc. I LOVE IT!!! I got it after seeing it on Shark Tank and I highly recommended it. It is not terribly large but for a single person or a couple it is perfect! You won't be sorry!

Hope this helps you! - Miriam

FLEXSAFE BY AQUAVAULT (THE ULTIMATE TRAVEL SAFE)

You can't buy an underwater camera for under $100. Leave the phone. Take the camera.

The Fugi underwater camera is $89 at Walmart & it's a good camera

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never carry a cell phone around, but I have my Seapass card or frequently my camera. Of course you don't lay something down for the whole trip ;). If I'm in the pool my "stuff" is on a chair that I can see. I usually have a towel with my stuff on it when in the hot tub. Normal hot tubs I would not take a phone into as they have a higher than normal chlorine level which could eat at seals, but I don't believe Royal uses Chlorine in their tubs as a sanitizer.

I wish Royal would put a cubby near its pools and hot tubs for people to place their things and not take up a chair. I have no trouble leaving things like that while I'm in a pool as long as they are in sight. I don't worry about leaving without it since I put it on my towel.

Talking about having a phone in your submerged pocket while in a hot tub...you're probably a guy? So probably carrying a tote bag isn't something that comes naturally to you?

Leave it in the room or set it in easy reach in the side of the hot tub. Since you have the life proof you don't have to worry about splashes or an accidental dunking. But I think just the heat of a hot tub would mess up the phone after awhile even if the lifeproof functioned perfectly.

I did not realize that the 7 is water resistant. Thanks for that info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Talking about having a phone in your submerged pocket while in a hot tub...you're probably a guy? So probably carrying a tote bag isn't something that comes naturally to you?

Leave it in the room or set it in easy reach in the side of the hot tub. Since you have the life proof you don't have to worry about splashes or an accidental dunking. But I think just the heat of a hot tub would mess up the phone after awhile even if the lifeproof functioned perfectly.

I did not realize that the 7 is water resistant. Thanks for that info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The heat of the hot tub is never more than 104F, and rarely above 102F. I'd be more concerned about the chemical reaction of whatever sanitizer Royal uses in hot tubs. I don't know what that is