First Celebrity cruise question

BuckeyeMan

Many cruisers also get $2 bills from the bank at home to use as tips.

On a past cruise I went to the bank and got a bunch of Sacagawea dollar coin. They rememberd those. At first they would look kind of puzzled. Once they figured out what they were they knew me for the rest of the trip. It was kind of neat to do.

Yes, guest relations will be happy to give you change.

I would suggest dollar bills, not oddball things like two dollar bills or coins (which are heavy). Dollar bills are readily accepted just about everywhere and people know what they are. Two dollar bills, not so much. If you want to give the person two dollars, just give them two one dollar bills.

I just go to the bank and get a stack of 25 dollar bills. Keep it in the safe along with my other extra money and take it out as needed.

Yes, guest relations will be happy to give you change.

I would suggest dollar bills, not oddball things like two dollar bills or coins (which are heavy). Dollar bills are readily accepted just about everywhere and people know what they are. Two dollar bills, not so much. If you want to give the person two dollars, just give them two one dollar bills

I just go to the bank and get a stack of 25 dollar bills. Keep it in the safe along with my other extra money and take it out as needed.

I don't get the $2 'oddball' comment. We give them out both in U.S. and cruising. Actually many comment that they collect them and are glad to receive it. It's currency and never been a problem for us.

PLEASE...do NOT use $2 bills...no other country recognizes them as "legal tender"....

Yes..the ship will break down bills for you. But, you do NOT need to be throwing bills about as tips! Tipping is traditionally done on the LAST EVENING of the cruise. You will want to tip more than $1 on the last night....so don't worry about having wads and wads of ones!

Where the U.S. Dollar is accepted in many of the islands, the $2 is not the usual currency they see and it is more difficult to spend it. i've never understood the need to make things more difficult with some sort of "gimmick' like $2 bills and the coins. Even some places in the U.S. don't want to accept them because it's a pain to take them to the bank with the rest of your money. I gave some "Santa" dollars, and (YES...they were legal tender) one year to some of the children in the family. They actually got turned down at a few places when they tried using them for purchases. Just give them $1, 5 or whatever.

The $1 tips are for room service, porters, etc., exclusive of the mandatory tipping.

Do you not prepay for the tips? 18%? I always leave more but really how much more should you leave? At the end of a 14 day cruise what would be appropriate? Thanks

Yes..the ship will break down bills for you. But, you do NOT need to be throwing bills about as tips! Tipping is traditionally done on the LAST EVENING of the cruise. You will want to tip more than $1 on the last night....so don't worry about having wads and wads of ones!

I think you will find that the bartenders, servers in Bacio, servers in the Elite Lounge or Michael's Club, and those who deliver your room service order will happily receive your extra tips at the time of service. It would be tough to find all those folks on the last night.

On a past cruise I went to the bank and got a bunch of Sacagawea dollar coin. They remembered those. At first they would look kind of puzzled. Once they figured out what they were they knew me for the rest of the trip. It was kind of neat to do.

I get those too along with paper money. They do make a good conversation starter. I have given them out to the kids on the pier in a few of the ports we have visited.

Laurie

We will be cruising in Europe, our first time overseas. Should I plan on using Euros for tipping for room service,,,, or are US dollar bills acceptable? Thanks

Euros will be very useful to the crew while sailing in Europe.

Don't try to get cash for tips on the last night from Customer Service. I tried on my last trip and they told me I had to use the ATM even tho they gave cash to the lady in front of me. Meant I had to go back to the cabin, get my wallet and pay the stupid ATM fee to give out the extra tips. Not onerous, but poor customer service IMO.

We always bring a bunch of $1s with us. They are in limited supply at guest services and they will only exchange small amounts. We like knowing we have them without lining up at GS all the time.

Yes we have the auto grats, but we occasionally tip the bar servers in the theatre, the servers in Al Bacio, use them for local buses or craft markets, etc.

First cruise with Celebrity. Silly question. Can I get change ($1 bills) at guest services so I don't have to carry a large stack of bills? I am guessing so just wanted to be sure before boarding.

Thanks in advance

Along this line, can they change a 5 Euro for 1's or 2'S? Our local bank only provides paper currency and no coins (like 1's and 2's) and we need a few of these smaller ones for the excursion we take immediately upon arriving in Lisbon. Thanks in advance for your assistance.