NCL Cruise with 4 Ports - Which Ones Are Worth Doing Excursions In?

Hi all,

I am doing an NCL cruise this Fall to the following 4 Western Caribbean Ports. I can't do an excursion at all of them. Help! Which ones have a safe beach nearby the ship vs. which ones would you do an excursion in? Any information is greatly appreciated :)

Roatan, BayIslands, Honduras

Harvest Caye,Belize

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am doing an NCL cruise this Fall to the following 4 Western Caribbean Ports. I can't do an excursion at all of them. Help! Which ones have a safe beach nearby the ship vs. which ones would you do an excursion in? Any information is greatly appreciated :)

Harvest Caye,Belize

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

Thanks!

I would highly recommend a visit to the Mayan Ruins in Cozumel, preferably Chicen Itza. Amazing sights!

There will be safe beaches in every port, especially HC and Roatan.

Hi all,

Harvest Caye,Belize

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

There are

Thanks!

Harvest Caye is the only one with a close beach, but at Costa Maya, a short cheap shuttle ride will take you to Mahahual, which is all beach front. Most places have a charge for you to use their beach or a minimum amount to spend at their restaurant. There are very few these days that let you just order what you want to use their chairs/shade. Most have WiFi.

In Coz, there are tons of excursions to choose from. When in Roatan, we either do a pre-booked private tour of the island, with our usual stops from Victor Bodden or paddle boarding with Anita Tennyson (her daughter will pick you up) - also pre-booked.

Hi all,

Harvest Caye,Belize

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

Thanks!

Harvest Caye is NCL's private island. They have a huge pool area and beach with lounge chairs. This is one place you can definitely just enjoy without having to do a planned excursions. Costa Maya has a great shopping area with a large pool and swim up bar. I would plan to do excursions in Cozumel and Roatan and enjoy the free stuff in the other ports. Just my thoughts:cool:

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I just did this itinerary a month ago and did something each day.

Roatan - We went to Little French Key for a perfect beach day with some of the best snorkeling I've had the privilege of doing. There was a small cove we found where there was some sun, some shade, lounge chairs, a few hammocks, with beach going out into the water that was so calm. The best part was we were the only ones in that area. It was heaven!

Harvest Caye - We rented a pool cabana and an amazing pool day. We enjoyed and service and shade that came from the cabana and when things got too warm, we cooled off in the pool. It was a nice change of pace from the crowd and noise at the ship pools.

Costa Maya - We did the Chacchoben ruins. My husband gets into these ancient cultures and totally gets into these tours. Not my cup of tea, but it was actually really interesting. Native tours took great care of us even when we were late showing up to the meeting point.

Cozumel - We had booked a dolphin encounter at Chankanaab Park for $145 for all 3 of us. We took a cab there and once we arrived upon checking in we were offered a sea lion and manatee encounter, buffet lunch, and cab back to the ship for another $60. For just over $200 we got to do all of that. It was so much fun! The only downer is you are not allowed to take your own pictures and the pictures they take are expensive. It was tempting to pay the extra $300 for the pictures but in the end I just couldn't do it.

Hi all,

Harvest Caye,Belize

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

Thanks!

Harvest Caye can be a beach/pool day at zero cost. If you want to eat/drink on the island it will cost you, but you could just walk back to the boat and eat for free.

The other islands have beaches that you can either do an excursion to or take a taxi to. I'm not a very experienced snorkeler, but the snorkeling at Tabyana Beach in Roatan was very cool.

Hi all,

Harvest Caye,Belize

Costa Maya,Mexico

Cozumel,Mexico

Thanks!

Roatan - you do not walk to walk around HOnduras on your own.

Harvest Cay - from what people have said, good day to stay on the ship and enjoy the pool, etc. without the crowds.

Costa Maya - there is a free pool when you get off the ship.

Cozumel, this would be worth going on the excursion to Tulum. A long day, btu amazing.

In Cozumel we have been to Tulum twice. Great Mayan ruins in a beautiful setting. It is far away so you would do an NCL excursion.

In Costa Maya we have done MAYA CHAN twice. It is owned by an American Expat. Great food and high liquor. All inclusive.

In Roatan we have done Victor Bodden twice. Very good. We have also done Little French Key. Fabulous.

Jay

There's no NEED to take an excursion at any of these ports.

Harvest caye is a man made beach destination on an island off the coast of Belize. It was paid for by NCL and is partially private (local vendors operate businesses but locals can't just come out there to use the beach). Perfectly fine to just walk off the ship and use.

Cozumel - an island off the coast of Mexico. Touristy area and pretty safe to explore via taxi. No reason to do ruins here, requires u to cross the island, and take a ferry to mainland, and drive hours inland; plus all that back round trip. There are all inclusive beaches, regular beaches, and a sea world like park all an easy taxi ride from the pier.

Costa maya - tourist town on the mainland. haven't been there but read that there are ruins not too far from here. If you are inclined to do ruins IMO this is the better stop. But as others said, there r beaches/pools easily accessible here too.

Roatan - island off the coast of Honduras. This is the stop I'd be the most likely to arrange something. I've heard French key is nice, I've heard there's nice snorkeling if you take a boat trip. We just did an island tour here so don't know the specifics of any of the beaches.

So if you want to do a beach at ever stop u can. If you want a mix of beaches and excursions I'd pick roatan and/or costa Maya for the excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just did this same itinerary and did excursions in Cozumel & Roatan. You definitely don't need one in Harvest Caye - it's just a short walk to the huge pool and beach. You don't need one in Costa Maya either - there's a shuttle that will take you to Mahahual for $3 pp for a gorgeous public beach or there is a nice pool, restaurants and shopping right there at the pier. I'd strongly recommend going into Mahahual though - it was our favorite stop of the whole trip!

In Roatan, I'd book something - there weren't any beaches within walking distance that I could see. It was a 5 minute walk to downtown for shopping if you want to do that.

Cozumel has TONS of choices so you could go either way there. I think you have to take a cab to any beach from the pier though - I didn't see any within walking distance.

As others have said, check out the ports of call board. Also, just do some internet searches of activities in those ports. I did this itinerary in January and I would say get an excursion in Roatan. We didn't book anything there and just wandered in the port area shops. As others have said, Harvest Caye is a free beach/pool day - you pay for food and beverage but there are free water stations positioned around.

I highly recommend Maya Chan in Costa Maya. It's a private excursion you book through them and includes transportation, open bar, food, private seating area for your group. It's a beach day and they offer 1/2 hour or hour massages that are amazing and cheap!!

In Cozumel we went to Tulum. The ferry ride was the worst part of our whole trip. People got sick. It was so rough. We asked and the crew was like "oh this is normal." But then talking to each other they said it was the worst they ever experienced.

Harvest Caye is NCL's private island. They have a huge pool area and beach with lounge chairs. This is one place you can definitely just enjoy without having to do a planned excursions. Costa Maya has a great shopping area with a large pool and swim up bar. I would plan to do excursions in Cozumel and Roatan and enjoy the free stuff in the other ports. Just my thoughts:cool:

Is the pool area and beach with lounge chairs free to use in Harvest Caye? Is it walkable from the ship? Thanks for your input!

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I just did this itinerary a month ago and did something each day.

Roatan - We went to Little French Key for a perfect beach day with some of the best snorkeling I've had the privilege of doing. There was a small cove we found where there was some sun, some shade, lounge chairs, a few hammocks, with beach going out into the water that was so calm. The best part was we were the only ones in that area. It was heaven!

Harvest Caye - We rented a pool cabana and an amazing pool day. We enjoyed and service and shade that came from the cabana and when things got too warm, we cooled off in the pool. It was a nice change of pace from the crowd and noise at the ship pools.

Costa Maya - We did the Chacchoben ruins. My husband gets into these ancient cultures and totally gets into these tours. Not my cup of tea, but it was actually really interesting. Native tours took great care of us even when we were late showing up to the meeting point.

Cozumel - We had booked a dolphin encounter at Chankanaab Park for $145 for all 3 of us. We took a cab there and once we arrived upon checking in we were offered a sea lion and manatee encounter, buffet lunch, and cab back to the ship for another $60. For just over $200 we got to do all of that. It was so much fun! The only downer is you are not allowed to take your own pictures and the pictures they take are expensive. It was tempting to pay the extra $300 for the pictures but in the end I just couldn't do it.

Thanks for breaking down - it sounds like a great itinerary! What port was your favorite?

Is the pool area and beach with lounge chairs free to use in Harvest Caye? Is it walkable from the ship? Thanks for your input!

Yes, the pool and beach are free and have loungers. You are on a private island in which everything is in walking distance

There's no NEED to take an excursion at any of these ports.

Harvest caye is a man made beach destination on an island off the coast of Belize. It was paid for by NCL and is partially private (local vendors operate businesses but locals can't just come out there to use the beach). Perfectly fine to just walk off the ship and use.

Cozumel - an island off the coast of Mexico. Touristy area and pretty safe to explore via taxi. No reason to do ruins here, requires u to cross the island, and take a ferry to mainland, and drive hours inland; plus all that back round trip. There are all inclusive beaches, regular beaches, and a sea world like park all an easy taxi ride from the pier.

Costa maya - tourist town on the mainland. haven't been there but read that there are ruins not too far from here. If you are inclined to do ruins IMO this is the better stop. But as others said, there r beaches/pools easily accessible here too.

Roatan - island off the coast of Honduras. This is the stop I'd be the most likely to arrange something. I've heard French key is nice, I've heard there's nice snorkeling if you take a boat trip. We just did an island tour here so don't know the specifics of any of the beaches.

So if you want to do a beach at ever stop u can. If you want a mix of beaches and excursions I'd pick roatan and/or costa Maya for the excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very helpful info. Thank you! Did you like the island tour in Roatan?

We just did this same itinerary and did excursions in Cozumel & Roatan. You definitely don't need one in Harvest Caye - it's just a short walk to the huge pool and beach. You don't need one in Costa Maya either - there's a shuttle that will take you to Mahahual for $3 pp for a gorgeous public beach or there is a nice pool, restaurants and shopping right there at the pier. I'd strongly recommend going into Mahahual though - it was our favorite stop of the whole trip!

In Roatan, I'd book something - there weren't any beaches within walking distance that I could see. It was a 5 minute walk to downtown for shopping if you want to do that.

Cozumel has TONS of choices so you could go either way there. I think you have to take a cab to any beach from the pier though - I didn't see any within walking distance.

The shuttle that will take you to Mahahual for $3 pp - can you use US dollars or must it be pesos? Was it safe enough on the shuttle that you would go alone?

The shuttle that will take you to Mahahual for $3 pp - can you use US dollars or must it be pesos? Was it safe enough on the shuttle that you would go alone?

Yes, US dollars and you buy tickets right there in the port shopping area - there is a stand at the far end after you walk through the entire mall. We felt totally safe, it was an open air tram with a thatched roof and they had tons of them. Each one was full of passengers before it took off and there was another right behind it to load up. They explain the three stops to you when you buy tickets. The shuttle is only one way, so you have to catch a cab back to the pier. That was $2 pp and the driver was super friendly. It's a beautiful place!

Yes, US dollars and you buy tickets right there in the port shopping area - there is a stand at the far end after you walk through the entire mall. We felt totally safe, it was an open air tram with a thatched roof and they had tons of them. Each one was full of passengers before it took off and there was another right behind it to load up. They explain the three stops to you when you buy tickets. The shuttle is only one way, so you have to catch a cab back to the pier. That was $2 pp and the driver was super friendly. It's a beautiful place!

Sounds good! Thank you!

I have asked this in another post, but no definitive answer.

For Belize (Harvest Caye) is there way to get to the mainland without taking a shore excursion. My step-son lives a few miles from there and I want to see him. When I asked before no one had been to that area of Belize to give an answer. I don't want to go to Belize City, but just to see him near Punta Gorda.

Appreciate any help anyone can give