Princess onboard app

Ladybuggers

Last May I was on the Regal and using the appseemed to be a hit or miss. Sometimes it would work showing the itineraryof the day I would save it then few hours later it would not show it saved. Iwas never able to message my sister (in the same stateroom) I also tried addingpeople to the “friends” list and could not send them messages either eventhough they had me added on theirs. Anyone know if they have updated their app?

I just used it last week on the Regal and it worked really well.

Glad to hear, my biggest concern was being able to send messages. This will be my moms first cruise and she is freaking out she will get lost and not be able to text or send a message.

Had no problem using Princess@Sea (no app) on the Star Princess last week. Was able to check activities, message, my folio, go on the Internet, etc. I've never used nor needed the app.

Sounds like they did some updates to it since last year. :) This will put moms fears to rest.

Had no problem using Princess@Sea (no app) on the Star Princess last week. Was able to check activities, message, my folio, go on the Internet, etc. I've never used nor needed the app.

ahh yes I meant Princess@Sea

The only reason that an App was ever required to be downloaded was to provide audible signalling on your device that you had received a message from someone. Otherwise, not required. I don't know of that the App/signalling ever worked and I am not sure if the App is still available or not. Have used all other features without any problems in the past.

AE_Collector

It was easily over 1 1/2 years ago when I tried the communicator part of it. At that time there were lots of conversations on here about that function (audible signaling) not working fleet wide, then the App disappeared from the App store so the speculation was that it was back to the drawing board. I never heard anymore about it nor tried the communicator part of it again but the rest of it seemed to work properly from the get go.

AE_Collector

Is it an app that you download to your phone (android available? - can't locate it at the google play store) or do you just access it through the browser while on the ship? If you access it through the internet does it use the internet minutes you purchase?

I am mostly interested in the messaging aspect of the app to communicate with other friends we are travelling with on the cruise.

Thanks!

Glad to hear, my biggest concern was being able to send messages. This will be my moms first cruise and she is freaking out she will get lost and not be able to text or send a message.

Tell Mom to stop worrying...you can't get lost, it's a ship. Just keep going round and round until you spot a helpful crew member (that would be approx. every 4 feet in any direction) and ask them to help you figure out where you are and where you want to go.

Princess@Sea would not be helpful in staying in contact because it doesn't alert you when a message comes in. You have to keep checking to see if you're getting a message.

In Dec on Coral it worked and we liked having it. We had a group of 12 people in 6 cabins. Only thing is the message did not make a noise of any kind on the phones to alert you. You had to check it. That was fine, but keep that in mind, unless they've changed that.

As I mentioned previously, this all works, no app required. The App was only needed to allow an audible signal with messages. Don't know if the App is available or not or whether it ever worked. It had to be downloaded before boarding or using minutes from your internet plan. But my info is over 1 1/2 years old, haven't bothered with it more recently than that.

AE_Collector

Is it an app that you download to your phone (android available? - can't locate it at the google play store) or do you just access it through the browser while on the ship? If you access it through the internet does it use the internet minutes you purchase?

I am mostly interested in the messaging aspect of the app to communicate with other friends we are travelling with on the cruise.

Thanks!

No longer available (or needed) from the store. You just access it through the browser once onboard. Does not use internet minutes. Be aware that you probably have to reload the page to see if you have received messages.

?..The App was only needed to allow an audible signal with messages...AE_Collector

We never managed to get the app version to send an audible alert no matter how hard we tried, including this last January on the Crown with an old downloaded version. Glad to hear yours did make some sort of alert. Don't think it does that any longer, though. YMMV.

Sorry everyone I meant the Princess@sea not an actual app.

Princess@sea is basically the web page from which you select intranet use (no-fee access to messaging passengers, Patter, onboard account, etc.) and Intranet use (fee for most uses).

We never managed to get the app version to send an audible alert no matter how hard we tried, including this last January on the Crown with an old downloaded version.

You need to have the downloaded app on your phone; open the app while connected to the internet. (It will say try later when you are connected to ship board wifi).

Connect to ship board wi-fi, and create account / log in.

Share you user id code with someone.

Log out.

Have someone send you a message.

Connect to the internet, and you should get a notification.

Of course, you then have to disconnect from the internet, and connect to shipboard wifi to read the message.

None of this is actually worth doing.

I think who ever wrote the app didn't understand the internet restrictions of shipboard wifi.

As I mentioned previously, this all works, no app required. The App was only needed to allow an audible signal with messages. Don't know if the App is available or not or whether it ever worked. It had to be downloaded before boarding or using minutes from your internet plan. But my info is over 1 1/2 years old, haven't bothered with it more recently than that.

AE_Collector

Didn't get any notification for messages.

You need to have the downloaded app on your phone; open the app while connected to the internet. (It will say try later when you are connected to ship board wifi).

Connect to ship board wi-fi, and create account / log in.

Share you user id code with someone.

Log out.

Have someone send you a message.

Connect to the internet, and you should get a notification.

Of course, you then have to disconnect from the internet, and connect to shipboard wifi to read the message.

None of this is actually worth doing.

I think who ever wrote the app didn't understand the internet restrictions of shipboard wifi.

We've used it on two cruises quite successfully. You don't connect to the internet at all, just the ship's intranet. Also you no longer need the app. Just pull up a browser and connect to Princess@Sea. Instructions on how to do this will be in your cabin.

When we're not together on the ship we just check for messages at regular intervals. It's no big deal.

We've used it on two cruises quite successfully. You don't connect to the internet at all, just the ship's intranet.

There is no app to download.

Um ... I was replying to a post about how to get notifications.

It was quoted in my post, and looked like this:

Originally posted by cherylandtk We never managed to get the app version to send an audible alert no matter how hard we tried, including this last January on the Crown with an old downloaded version.

You do need the app for that, not that it ever worked in any useful way.

Bring an HDMI cable.

Edited by pablo222