Passports in Port

littlemoos

I take them. Simple thing is if you actually need it for something (which you probably won't), only the original will do. And if you want it stamped, of course, only the original will do. People take copies so they won't lose the original. Copies are pretty worthless except to help you get a replacement original at an embassy. The good news is Carnival would help get your original from the ship to you if needed.

A personal decision that everyone with a passport needs to make. My personal choice is to leave them in the safe unless the port requires them or they are required for an excursion (that our EDLs won't work for).

Hmm...quoting isn't working for me for some reason.

Regarding this statement:

"Copies are pretty worthless except to help you get a replacement original at an embassy"

^^Yep, this is why I take photocopies. And I have had to make use of them in the past (not on a cruise though)...oops. Would have been in a world of hurt if I didn't at least have copies. Of course, having the original is best but I just choose not to worry myself with potentially losing them....but that's just me :)

I agree. Color copies (or any copy for that matter) wont do you any good if you were to miss the ship for any reason. The card that comes with your Passport that has the PP # and expiration date would be just as useful in helping get a replacement.

If Im gonna be out of sight of the ship (which isnt very often) I will take my Passport. If Im just gonna hang out at the port area and shop and drink, Drivers license only.

I actually have a picture of my Passport saved on my phone so at least I have the # and expiration date in case I ever need it.

I really think it's a matter of personal preference. I have never taken it off the ship. In my mind it's the balancing of the risk of loss vs. the slight chance you'll need it because of missing the ship. It's not like we're leaving the ship with our luggage so it can be safely tucked away so I consider the risk of loss to be the greatest threat albeit small either way. Of course your S&S card and your driver's license is necessary.

Here's one thing to recall. Essentially all of the places Carnival goes are used to American tourists. So mechanisms are in place to resolve problems and safeguard you. Contrast that with travel in eastern Europe, for example. There, I'd have my passport on my person at all times.

Passports left in ships safe,

We have copies of the two pages with our photos folded back to back then laminated .

Fits in your wallet or a pocket

This is for a UK Passport and works around the armed

Not sure about other countries passports

Ours stay in our cabin's safe. That decision is based on the fact that we feel the risk of losing the passports or having them stolen while in port is greater than us missing the ship's departure time...and needing the passport to arrange travel to another port. There are times when in port that we both may be swimming in the ocean, with our bag some distance away strapped to a beach chair...the last thing I want in that bag are our passports!!

We took ours with us last time, because it was the kids first passports and they wanted to get them stamped. I had them safely in a thin money belt against my body under my shirt not in the bag we carried. Our excursion didn't involve swimming, so it was fine.

These threads always bring out the "I'm afraid to lose my passport" entourage. :cool:

Our passports always go with us, whether cruising or on a non-US land vacation.

I just don't understand some folks unrealistic theft phobias but their cabin safe must be awful full with their passports, watches, phones, cameras, wedding rings & other jewelry, pictures of their kids, grandkids, and every other thing they own that they are afraid to use for it's intended purpose.

We have never taken our passports off the ship. They stay in the safe.

We do take our Driver's licenses along with our S&S cards.

As one of the previous posters said, you would need it only if you missed the ship which would never happen as we always get back way before it sails.

Happy Sailing!

Passports left in ships safe,

We have copies of the two pages with our photos folded back to back then laminated .

Fits in your wallet or a pocket

This is for a UK Passport and works around the armed

Not sure about other countries passports

We do this also.

We only copy the picture page, it's reduced to the size of a business card. This copy was good enough to use as ID when getting a SIM card in Rome.

Our passports are kept in the cabin safe when ashore.

I've got mixed feelings on this. Never had anything but the card before so it didn't matter. But now that we have the books it's a tough decision. Most of our time off the ship includes a lot of time in the ocean. Don't want to leave it on the beach and can't really trust most waterproof containers (and don't really want to carry them in the water anyhow).

These threads always bring out the "I'm afraid to lose my passport" entourage. :cool:

I just don't understand some folks unrealistic theft phobias but their cabin safe must be awful full with their passports, watches, phones, cameras, wedding rings & other jewelry, pictures of their kids, grandkids, and every other thing they own that they are afraid to use for it's intended purpose.

Just as with any other personal choice people will make a choice different than you will. No need to deride them for their choice.

Personally, I am not worried about theft so much as losing them....which I have done. We travel abroad pretty frequently and I used to carry mine with me at almost all times but it only took one experience of losing ours in west Africa to convince me that it is better for my own peace of mind to keep ours in the safe. It works for me and it is my choice. Everyone can choose what works best for them...and I'm certainly not going to put anyone down who decides to bring theirs with them.

I dont have any phobia but it stays in the safe, i wear my watch only take sufficient cash as is needed and most of the time we are ashore independently of any organised trips. and yes we love exploring the back streets.just use common sense

A personal decision that everyone with a passport needs to make. My personal choice is to leave them in the safe unless the port requires them or they are required for an excursion (that our EDLs won't work for).

That's how we do it, also. Unless told that it's required to have ashore, we leave ours onboard in the safe.

That's how we do it, also. Unless told that it's required to have ashore, we leave ours onboard in the safe.

three years ago we were told we had to take them ashore when we docked in Barcelona, waste of fresh air that announcement was, the only item they wished to look at were the cruise cards showed the passport reult they were not interested