Cabin 3128 on Summit - loud noise?

Cinerama

I thought I had a great cabin with the large window and also quiet. But I did a search on this web site and now I'm finding there is a large humming noise in cabin 3128. Anyone else stay in this one or one close to it?

Thanks

Edited by Cinerama

I was in 3126 last year I believe and it was fine. And those windows are amazing. It is the very back cabins that get some complaints.

Someone posted the following for 3128 back in January, 2016.

"...the motor noise was so loud I slept with ear plugs that I use for the plane. The people on either side of my cabin (they were sailing with me) said the noise was less in their rooms. Not sure why."

I don't know what noise she was talking about.

Someone posted the following for 3128 back in January, 2016.

"...the motor noise was so loud I slept with ear plugs that I use for the plane. The people on either side of my cabin (they were sailing with me) said the noise was less in their rooms. Not sure why."

I don't know what noise she was talking about.

Not sure what to say. I remember there being a hum near the very back cabins only.

We stayed (or tried to) in 3128 for our 14 night Canada/New England cruise in the Fall of 2016. It was with great anticipation that we "moved in" -- wonderful, huge window with the normal exceptional Celebrity stateroom accommodations, and really convenient to the seldom used aft elevators not to mention a great price. As we settled in for our first quiet night at sea away from all the "noise of civilization," I noticed a continuation of what I thought was a minor dock-side annoyance; the hum of a Diesel engine. It wasn't loud, rather a continuous throbbing similar to a utility company testing their emergency power stand-by system; a constant RPM with a soul penetrating low frequency hum. No problem, I said. We're on a much anticipated cruise. I'm bullet-proof. Nothing is going to bother me!

I awoke the next morning feeling like I had endured some kind of subliminal torture. Not a restful night at all. Returning from breakfast upstairs, it was apparent that the humming was specific to our stateroom. Day 1 was a sea day. A day for complete relaxation. We didn't notice the humming anywhere else on the ship and unfortunately, it was having an impact on the enjoyment of our stateroom and the cruise in general.

Several of the ship's officers were introduced at our connections (meet & mingle) party including the Chief Engineer and Hotel Manager. After exchanging pleasantries and the usual "how is everything" question, I mentioned the incessant hum that seemed to be limited to our stateroom. The Hotel Manager asked if a staff member could check it out while we were ashore the next day in Halifax.

When we returned from our day of tromping around town, a voicemail message from the Hotel Manager asked that I call Guest Relations to see about moving to a different stateroom with their complements and assistance. Housekeeping brought two hotel-style garment/suit case carts and facilitated our move to an unsold balcony stateroom on deck 7. It took less than an hour. Heavenly quiet. And happy cruisers!

Much later in the cruise, I ran into the Chief Engineer who offered this logical explanation: The Millennium-Class ships use gasoline powered engines that turn generators and make electricity for both propulsion (infamous pods) and domestic services (lights, heating, air conditioning, toilets, etc). The gas turbines are much cleaner to operate than the traditional diesel power plants. But gasoline is more expensive than diesel. A few years after the Summit entered service, a diesel generator was added specifically for the domestic services and is located just below what was then the conference rooms on deck 3 (no harm, no foul). When the Summit was "solsticized," among other revenue generating changes, the conference rooms were replaced with the staterooms we see today that happened to include the very large windows. The generator remained and is run continuously as the primary source of electricity for the domestic operations of the vessel. This makes total sense to me.

We enjoyed a great cruise and thanked the staff repeatedly. After many months of anticipation of the quiet stateroom with a huge window, we were disappointed. But Celebrity's on-board staff listened to us and responded in a wonderful and much appreciated way.

My disclaimer: the humming bothered me more than my spouse. Your experience and sensitivities may be different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 7 years later...

Well its 2024 now and 3128 is still directly above a generator. We went on the summit for an Alaska cruise and immediately upon entering the room I heard what I could describe as a 'semi-truck' idling outside the window. I thought 'ohh, its probably just sound being reflected from the cruise terminal and should be quiet once we are underway'. We departed the port, went and had dinner and come back to the room to find the still with this sound. I figured it just white noise I guess, maybe all the rooms are like this. However upon laying down on the bed to fall asleep I noticed that the bed was actually vibrating as well due to the sound.

I went and talked to guest services (conveniently only about 200ft away on the same deck) and they gave me the 'surprised pikachu face' look when I explained the problem. I said is this a normal noise for this deck/room. They said no, they don't have any recorded issue with my room and they would send house keeping to investigate. About 30min later they offered us another room, which was on the same location but on the port side. We visited the room and it was much quieter confirming its an issue with out room. I then went back and explained that although the room was much quieter I specifically booked a room on the starboard side due to this being a one way cruise and wanting to be on the land side. I asked if there was anything else they could offer us.

The next day at about 10am we got a call saying that they could move us to a room on deck 7. We went and had a look at that room and it was a balcony room. So we moved and had a great cruise. I appreciated how we could find a solution however I don't believe celebrity it being 100% honest when selling this room. I booked directly through celebrity's website and even paid extra to pick a specific room. There was no mention of a noise or vibration issue. I would expect they should put issues like this as notes on the room much like they do with obstructed view rooms.

While we were waiting on another room I did some googling (thanks to their fast premium wifi) and found this thread. I finally remembered I needed to give a status update.

We were in that room 2 years ago on a Charleston Bermuda cruise. After a sleepless night we went to guest services. They were not much help. Being elite we went to the Captain’s club hostess. She was amazing. We were relocated to a Concierge cabin on deck 7. As well we each received $200 future cruise credit.

We love those new cabins on Deck 3 but have since only chosen balconies. Now that others have identified this specific cabin we may go back to another cabin on deck 3. Thanks for sharing.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, drinksta said:

......About 30min later they offered us another room, which was on the same location but on the port side. We visited the room and it was much quieter confirming its an issue with out room. I then went back and explained that although the room was much quieter I specifically booked a room on the starboard side due to this being a one way cruise and wanting to be on the land side. I asked if there was anything else they could offer us........The next day at about 10am we got a call saying that they could move us to a room on deck 7. We went and had a look at that room and it was a balcony room. So we moved and had a great cruise....

I booked directly through celebrity's website and even paid extra to pick a specific room. 

Not challenging your experience or comments, but want to respond to a couple of things for clarity. 

First, IMO you were very fortunate that there were additional staterooms available for GS to be able to move you as most sailings, in particular Alaska, sail completely full.  IMO they worked hard to find a very favorable resolution for you with a significant upgrade.

Second, you did not pay extra to be able to choose your stateroom. The everyday standard stateroom fares provide for you to select your location. There is no extra charge.  To allow the cruise line to do this on your behalf provides for a reduced fare as this option is more restrictive and with less flexibility to you.  They offer the lower fare than standard as a trade off.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not challenging your experience or comments, but want to respond to a couple of things for clarity. 

First, IMO you were very fortunate that there were additional staterooms available for GS to be able to move you as most sailings, in particular Alaska, sail completely full.  IMO they worked hard to find a very favorable resolution for you with a significant upgrade.

Second, you did not pay extra to be able to choose your stateroom. The everyday standard stateroom fares provide for you to select your location. There is no extra charge.  To allow the cruise line to do this on your behalf provides for a reduced fare as this option is more restrictive and with less flexibility to you.  They offer the lower fare than standard as a trade off.

"Not challenging your experience or comments", then precedes to challenge them.

I feel like your first point is a bit of gaslighting and trying to make celebrity out to be some hero or savior coming to our rescue by graciously moving us to a room that doesn't vibrate. "they worked hard", yes and so did we to pay for the cruise. I'd like to remind you of this threads age and how celebrity have obviously not worked hard to fix this problem in this room or at least make people aware of the issue.

To your second point, this room is advertised as a 'Prime Oceanview' room. Prime meaning more expensive than the rest. Also, no matter how you want to put it, we paid more money than a guarantee room of the same type. To the customer, that is the definition of paying extra. Not sure why you want to point out this wasn't some 'fee' to pick a room. It could be very well considered a fee, similar to how picking a seat on a plane often costs 'extra' and could be a fee. "They offer the lower fare than standard as a trade off", yeah its their business model to maximize revenue by either getting customer to pay more to have certainty or foregoing that certainty so the cruise line has the freedom to sell rooms until the last minute at a higher price and put you in a room that suits them best.

The cruise was excellent, but celebrity is aware of this issue and has been for years and isn't doing anything about it.

58 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

I hope this noise and/or vibration is only on the Summit, next year we will cruise on the Connie 3126

I asked the person in that room and they didn't hear anything. I think there must be a bulkhead protecting the other rooms. Also the other room they offered us was 3127 and was dead quiet.

41 minutes ago, drinksta said:

"Not challenging your experience or comments", then precedes to challenge them.

I feel like your first point is a bit of gaslighting and trying to make celebrity out to be some hero or savior coming to our rescue by graciously moving us to a room that doesn't vibrate. "they worked hard", yes and so did we to pay for the cruise. I'd like to remind you of this threads age and how celebrity have obviously not worked hard to fix this problem in this room or at least make people aware of the issue.

To your second point, this room is advertised as a 'Prime Oceanview' room. Prime meaning more expensive than the rest. Also, no matter how you want to put it, we paid more money than a guarantee room of the same type. To the customer, that is the definition of paying extra. Not sure why you want to point out this wasn't some 'fee' to pick a room. It could be very well considered a fee, similar to how picking a seat on a plane often costs 'extra' and could be a fee. "They offer the lower fare than standard as a trade off", yeah its their business model to maximize revenue by either getting customer to pay more to have certainty or foregoing that certainty so the cruise line has the freedom to sell rooms until the last minute at a higher price and put you in a room that suits them best.

The cruise was excellent, but celebrity is aware of this issue and has been for years and isn't doing anything about it.

Not gaslighting at all and I meant my comments of not challenging you sincerely. In fact I was being supportive.  It was just an honest observation. IMO they recognized your concern and resolved it favorably with an upgraded stateroom, which by your own words seemed to be to your satisfaction: We went and had a look at that room and it was a balcony room. So we moved and had a great cruise.

IMO that was also fortunate in that an alternative higher category stateroom was available that was provided at no additional charge.

And I never said anything about the description of your stateroom or its relative expense.  I said correctly that there is not a premium paid to select your stateroom - that is part of the normal fare paid for any stateroom, and that GTY staterooms are offered at a reduced fare as a trade off.  The fact that your "Prime" stateroom was at a higher fare is irrelevant to you being able to select your location as there is no premium paid for that.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

That Room should be well marked as having an issue. It won't get better! Maybe put staff there.

We had a cabin once  in a normal location  but it had a constant back and forth  whooshing noise.  We stuck with it, but learned it had something to do with flow in and out of pool or hot tub.

Also had one with very loud 24/7  air flow noise from a vent.. We were told it  was part of the ship's ventilation system.  We lived with it..

We were told Cabins where there is nothing  on the deck plan but an empty box across the hall  have something to do with the stacks..very noisy.

Just luck of the draw.. Guess we could make a list of Excuses by Celebrity!  Gad OP  and others  got relief! Sometimes you are just SOL.