Celebrity Solstice

We are looking at the Xmas/New Year cruise - 12 days. We are mainly Princess passengers so therefore I do not know terribly much on the Solstice. From what I have read on these boards, it appears to be a very popular ship with few complaints. Would anyone out there in cruise land be able to advise:

Is it worth upgrading the drinks package from Classic to Premium - cost is an additional $718 p/p. We enjoy a tipple but don't pretend to be experts on wine etc.

Upgrading from a Veranda cabin to Concierge class - apart from priority embarkation and upgraded bathroom toiletries - is it worth an additional $600.00 p/p over 12 days?? Cabin sizes appear to be the same?

I believe that the gratituties are now included in the fare.

As my husband is a smoker - does anyone know where the smoking areas are on board.

Many thanks for any adice given

Judy

I had the premium drinks package on a cruise on Solstice in November 2016 as was offered Gossips Sav Blanc after a few days into the cruise as a "premium" white wine, which it is not.

I would stick with the Classis drinks package for at least the first couple of days and and see how you go - you may find wines etc in that package that will suit your needs or if necessary can upgrade on the ship.

Solstice is a lovely ship, very similar to Princess in some ways. We are happy on both cruise lines.

You have a wider choice of cocktails and wines under the Premium package. Solstice has sommeliers and we usually just tell our sommelier what we have chosen to eat and allow him to pick matching wines. They usually allow you to taste the wine first and will bring something else if you don't like the first choice.

From what I've heard the Concierge cabins aren't worth the extra. We like the 2A cabins on deck 7, midships and low down. The Solstice cabins alternate:

- one with the bed by the bath and the sofa by the balcony - pluses are having the sofa by the balcony but the downside is that it's awkward for dressing. These cabins often have a square on the deck plan indicating they sleep 3, one on the pull-out sofa.

- the others have the sofa next to the wardrobe and the bed next to the balcony which gives more space between the bathroom and bed for dressing. The hairdryer is in a drawer of the desk and it's easier using that in this configuration. These cabins only sleep 2.

Yes, gratuities are included in the fares but we usually give a little extra at the end of the cruise to any crew who have given excellent service.

Smoking areas are port side deck 5 (undercover), port side of the Sunset Bar on deck 15, and possibly one side of deck 14 near the Mast Bar or else somewhere on the pool deck, I'm not sure exactly.

Just got off Solstice today and found the Classic Package to be adequate for our needs.

Be prepared for very aggressive staff trying to get you to upgrade once on board, we were accosted four times within the first half hour of being on board.

Other than that, we love the ship and the staff are just a little more professional and friendly than other lines we have experienced.

Did a Christmas/New Year cruise on her two years ago. They do it very well, with decorations etc.

Have cruised previously on Princess, just find Celebrity a touch better.

Hope this helps, have a great cruise.

Both passengers don't have to upgrade to Premium, so if only one of you wants Gentleman Jack instead of Jim Beam for instance, it can be worth it. If you have excess OBC, try it out.

On Celebrity Eclipse (a Solstice class) we have upgraded to a Concierge cabin - but only becase there was a promotion giving C2's at ocean view cabin prices! NOT a difficult choice. Otherwise not worth an extra $100 per night IMO.

Earlier advice about changing from Classic to premium says wait a couple of days to see if the classic package meets your needs. I endorse that advice. With the exception of the Martini Bar and World Class bar I have only found one cocktail that couldn't be accommodated under the Classic package. Where are "Premium" spirit is called for in a cocktail a "Classic" brand can generally be substituted. Coffees in Al Bacio are covered as are all non alcoholic drinks in the Classic package.

The real benefit of Concierge Class is if you want to get the extra Captains Club points. Sure you get a fluffy robe, a golf umbrella and fruit delivered everyday but quite frankly its not worth the extra price. Sometimes if one is keeping a regular check on pricing Concierge cabins are cheaper than Verandah.

The solstice is my favourite ship. As the other have said, unless there are particular wines or drinks that are not covered by the classic package, I wouldn't bother. You can wait until on board to upgrade if required.

As for concierge, the rooms are very similar to the normal delux balconies, and unless you are getting it for cheaper or the same prices I do not think it is worth it (canapes, better robes, extra points per night).

We have booked 22 January - 12 nights - New Zealand. Decided against the Xmas/New Year cruise.

Settled for a veranda cabin on deck 7 which looks fine for us. Followed Ozkiwijj's advice and went for a cabin with the small square so hopefully the sofa will be next to the window.

We have opted to stay with the classic package as I am sure it will include more than enough variety for us.

Agree, Conceige class is not worth the additional cost.

Now all we have to do is wait - for a very long time!!

Thanks again to all of you for your advice

Judy

Waiting is half the fun [emoji6]

I really liked deck 7 on solstice. So much so that when I went to book the next cruise while onboard I had to ask them to find me a cabin on the same deck and they did.

Enjoy your cruise it's a great ship [emoji568][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked 22 January - 12 nights - New Zealand. Decided against the Xmas/New Year cruise.

Settled for a veranda cabin on deck 7 which looks fine for us. Followed Ozkiwijj's advice and went for a cabin with the small square so hopefully the sofa will be next to the window.

We have opted to stay with the classic package as I am sure it will include more than enough variety for us.

Agree, Conceige class is not worth the additional cost.

Now all we have to do is wait - for a very long time!!

Judy

Good choices.

Hi judy.

Bob and Chris from the Gold Coast. Doing the same cruise on the 22nd January. We took have a 1a mid ships verandah stateroom just off the hump deck 7. Ship looks great. It will be our first cruise with celebrity and to New Zealand.

Judy

Waiting is half the fun [emoji6]

I really liked deck 7 on solstice. So much so that when I went to book the next cruise while onboard I had to ask them to find me a cabin on the same deck and they did.

We've also booked our next (third) cruise on Solstice and picked deck 7 again. It's a great location. That's when I worked out how to tell which cabins were Bed by Bath or Bed by Balcony - the ones that have extra berths are always Bed by Bath.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise, Judy. :)

I've only sailed concierge and aqua on celebrity, but each time I've upgraded at the last minute from a regular balcony due to price drops just before sailing.

In saying that I have a cruise booked in a 2a, deck 7, on the hump, I'm sure I'll be very happy, if there aren't any price drops.....

I've only sailed concierge and aqua on celebrity, but each time I've upgraded at the last minute from a regular balcony due to price drops just before sailing.

In saying that I have a cruise booked in a 2a, deck 7, on the hump, I'm sure I'll be very happy, if there aren't any price drops.....

We normally book a balcony and then upgrade if price drops warrant it. Got a suite on one cruise due to a strange anomaly where the suite prices went really low.

Concierge seemed like a waste of time from what we could surmise. We got robes and 2x umbrellas in our interior 'peasant' cabin :p

We had concierge on our only, to date, Celebrity cruise. We took it for two reasons,

1. Location

2. It was less than the top grade balcony, not by much but still....

Was it worth it?

Well when we paid less, yes it was, but at the normal price differential no.

Priority boarding, I wouldn't pay extra for.

The stuff in the cabin, now I do use the leather card holder frequently, but that's it.

The afternoon canapés were nice, but could just as easily have grabbed something from the buffet.