Thoughts on a 5 day cruise

NOSaints1

I enjoy the 5 night cruises. I am always ready to get back to my animals and cannot imagine leaving my dogs with hubby for 2 weeks. And I do have to fly to port. I am going from Anthem to Infinity and am looking forward to it. If I have to return to destinations I have already visited at least the ship will be different

What do you get with the drink package my DW is a diabetic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am Type 2..the Classic package works for me ..list of inclusions is posted on the website

Bottled water, teas, coffee...dtinks that can be non sugary...and a few cheats!

We had two short cruises with X (shortest out of all our cruises) Once it was five dayer on Century and four dayer on Silhuette. Yes it is short, but on Celebrity it is still nice in terms of atmosphere and pax (not cruise and booze!) and we combined them with either trips thru Florida or another cruise.

This summer we will try another 5 dayer on QM2. Just a convenience of sailing out of near port of NY.

We only try short cruises with premium lines.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Constellation for 5 days to Cozumel and Key West for Christmas. We had a great deal, I think, in an OV for $574 pp which included the drink package and $300 obc (We upgraded to the Go Better). We loved it and will be doing a 7 day on Silhouette in about 2 weeks.

5 days did seem to fly by, especially since we were in Key West the day before disembarking. For a 5 day cruise, the M Class was great. There was plenty to do or not do. Also, we had 3 OV cabins in the "newer" OV cabins. These have the large round windows. They are in a very quiet hallway (because there are no inside cabins across from them) on Deck 3 midship.

Our schedule revolves around our children's school vacation and how much time off we have from work. Would love to do a longer cruise but that will have to wait for a few years.

We have done a handful of 5 days. The difference in feel from 5 to 7 days is noticeable for being only 2 extra days. We never chose the 5 day cruises when prices for those were near 7 day prices either. We don't plan on returning to any 5 day cruises in the future. It's just not long enough. If you're interested in some of the onboard activities, the 5 night cruises are usually somewhat abbreviated too. I really think you get a better feel for the overall experience if you do a full week. You tend to have so much fear of missing out on your first cruise that you go to bed late, up early and try to pack in every single thing that you can.

I would ideally like to try a 10-11 night, but for those of us still stuck in corporate American, it's tough. Especially the Monday-Friday 11 nights. At that point you're already taking 2 full weeks off and should just do a full 14 nights. Royal does some 9 nighters that you can realistically do with vacation days. That seems like a good balance to me.

You can plan 10-11 dayers around holidays. For example our last Princess cruise started on Friday 30th and went to January 9th. We used 6 work days. The first one was from previous year.

Also if you are living near port you can use disembarkation day as a work day. :)

If you are taking a 5 night cruise because of a shortage of vacation days, I can understand that. If you are taking the short cruise to see if you are going to like it, I would advise against it. Chances are that you will love the cruise and you will be sorry to have to leave so quickly. The worst time on the cruise is when you get the disembarkation baggage tags 2 - 3 days before the end of the cruise. If you have a short cruise, you will receive the baggage tags shortly after your cruise has begun. I have also found that the work tension that I boarded the ship with took 3 - 4 days to dissipate. By day 4, I was first starting to relax.

The demographics on a 5 day cruise usually mean that there is more of a party atmosphere. I enjoy them and my DW and I usually take a B2B with a 4 day and turn it into 9 days and we do it over a long weekend at the end. The 4 and 5 day cruises to Key West bring out the younger demographic. It is not a true feel of Celebrity but the services are the same. I would say go for it and enjoy yourself. Key West and Cozumel mean that you will have two sea days and two port days which would give you a good feel for the line.

I was thinking the same as the above poster...cabin?...ship..? I love the S Class ships: the M Class do nothing for me at all, but that is just me. You have such great information above that your decision should be easy...

Would you book an OV on a 5 day cruise to Key West/Cozumel to see if we like Celebrity for a couple in there 30s . I believe the ship was the infinity and the price was 769pp with the drink package

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did a 5 day cruise on the Constellation (Same class as Infinity) with the same itinerary. We also invited a couple and this was their first cruise. For me, 5 days was too short and 7 is perfect but for our friends 5 days was an ideal way to try cruising. We were in our late 30's and our friend in their early 30's.

A 5 day cruise has different demographics than a 7 or 10 day cruise but it is fun and our first time cruising friends loved it. I think it is a good way to test a cruising or try a new cruiseline. If you are left wanting more, then you will be back and if you can't wait to get back on land, then you don't have to wait too long.

While it wasn't our first cruise, we did a 4-night cruise in December because it fit our schedule. We couldn't do a longer cruise and we love Key West and Cozumel. We wanted to relax and we did. Key West is a great port to visit on a first cruise. It's an easy DIY port and there is so much to do in Cozumel that there is something for everyone. You'll get to see what a sea day is like too, so this sounds like a good "sample" of a cruise.

Did you fly or drive

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How long of a drive would it be to the port for you? We're in Atlanta and from past experience, we will drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa and Charleston which are all 6-7.50 hour drives. Anything from Miami or Fort Lauderdale though, we fly. Even driving the day before with a hotel stay overnight beforehand, the drive still seems like too much. Especially if vacation days are a factor. I was miserable at work the following week and felt like I needed a vacation after the one time we drove to Miami for a cruise...never again...lol.

Edited by rain_bowbrite