Adjoining rooms/doors don't lock?

i have read in a recent post that the doors of adjacent rooms do not lock. Is this true on all ships?

Details may depend on the ship.

On some ships, the doors are locked by default. If you want them open, the stateroom attendant must unlock them. Once unlocked by the attendant, the door will close, but cannot be locked by the guest.

I know this question comes up periodically about connecting cabins and the lack of soundproofing. I can attest to the fact it does seem a little less quite if sitting directly by the door. On our last cruise on Allure we had an OS with a connecting JS. If I was sitting right by the connecting door, and I assume they were also, I could hear the conversation. It was muffled, but I could hear the voices. It wasn't enough to deter me from getting a connecting cabin.

We just had connecting Boardwalk cabins on HOTS and the connecting door had to be unlocked by someone other than the cabin steward...problem was we had to use two doorstops on top of each other to keep it open.

Can you request the doors be unlocked before the trip or do you have to wait till you get on board. We have a connecting stateroom for us and the kids.

You can request anything before the trip, but I would plan on having it be locked until you speak to your stateroom attendant.

Details may depend on the ship.

On some ships, the doors are locked by default. If you want them open, the stateroom attendant must unlock them. Once unlocked by the attendant, the door will close, but cannot be locked by the guest.

This is what happened to us on Freedom. I may be the poster from the other thread you are referring to. Once we checked in to both rooms, the attendant told us we could either have the doors locked the whole time or unlocked the whole time. The door would close, but never lock, as we chose for him to open the door to allow us access to both rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums