The dreaded dress code question

Bruin Steve

I can't remember the new breakdown schedule of number of Gala nights on cruises of given lengths. I do know that it is much less than the old 2 per week we had under the formal nights schedule, so it will be fewer than the 8 we had on 30-35 day cruises.

I also know that it will be listed in your final documents, when you get them. I can't remember which page it's on, but think it's on the first page. It's near the bottom, in fairly small print.

So as not to start a new thread... I have a question about shoes. I have only cruised once before and it was a very laid back 3 days on another line so I am not sure about HAL.

Are open toed shoes acceptable for a Gala night? I am not talking about flip-flops but just open toed heels or dressy sandals (lower heels)?

So as not to start a new thread... I have a question about shoes. I have only cruised once before and it was a very laid back 3 days on another line so I am not sure about HAL.

Are open toed shoes acceptable for a Gala night? I am not talking about flip-flops but just open toed heels or dressy sandals (lower heels)?

Yes, either would be perfectly fine.

Even before HAL relaxed the dress code, it was silent on the subject of shoes. I suspect that's because so many of HAL's passengers are older, and foot problems come with the territory.

you all should see what my son mentioned he'd bring along when I told him about the dress up nights..... he's in his twenties..... and his version of a collared shirt is covered in pineapples and tikis (hawaiian shirt) along with a tie with a star wars theme...... technically, that's the 'dress code' on the website.... I encouraged him to toss in a plain button down shirt and simple tie for those evenings.... we shall see what he packs. :') our pictures are probably going to be interesting.My husband will be wearing simple twill pants that dress up or down along with a button down shirt and a tie. That's all our suitcases will hold anyway,we have no extra room for 'real' dress clothes. Which are nice, but harder to pack.

you all should see what my son mentioned he'd bring along when I told him about the dress up nights..... he's in his twenties..... and his version of a collared shirt is covered in pineapples and tikis (hawaiian shirt) along with a tie with a star wars theme...... technically, that's the 'dress code' on the website.... I encouraged him to toss in a plain button down shirt and simple tie for those evenings.... we shall see what he packs. :') our pictures are probably going to be interesting.My husband will be wearing simple twill pants that dress up or down along with a button down shirt and a tie. That's all our suitcases will hold anyway,we have no extra room for 'real' dress clothes. Which are nice, but harder to pack.

I have worn Hawaiian shirts in the past. Some can be loud, while others more refined. Never heard a peep from anyone. Collared shirt and pants gets you in just fine. Bottom line is no one cares except a dozen or so long time cruisers who continue to wax fondly about the "good old days" when tux and gown were the norm. And somehow wearing them now makes you feel more in place and the meal more enjoyable. Don't care what other wear, though we have seen some interesting outfits. We use to wear them but tossed the tux and suits a while ago. Meal tastes the same in a tux, suit or collared shirt. But in all fairness if you want to wear them then go for it.

Dan

I can't remember the new breakdown schedule of number of Gala nights on cruises of given lengths. I do know that it is much less than the old 2 per week we had under the formal nights schedule, so it will be fewer than the 8 we had on 30-35 day cruises.

I also know that it will be listed in your final documents, when you get them. I can't remember which page it's on, but think it's on the first page. It's near the bottom, in fairly small print.

We will have two on our 7-night Canada/New England cruise in May. Thanks, Ruth, for mentioning where to find that information -- the bottom of the first page, left side.

We will have two on our 7-night Canada/New England cruise in May.

Two in a seven day cruise is standard, and three in either 13- or 14-days (I can't remember). It increases from there, but at a fairly slow rate, as compared to the past.

There is a table, and if I ever see it again, I will either commit it to memory, or write it down.