When to request a new room for the third person in our party?

AngInTampa

Hello - My spouse and I booked our room on Carnival Paradise a few weeks ago. We were just able to talk my mother in to coming with us, which is so exciting since she's never been on a cruise or even on a vacation outside of her home state. I planned on paying for her trip and assumed that her room would be about half of what we spent. Whoops! I didn't realize that whether you book a room for two people or one person, the price is the same. Anyway, I panicked and just paid to add her to our room. After thinking about it, I'm pretty sure she would be much more comfortable in her own room. My question is, should I wait until right before our cruise to try to get her a room for herself? Will the prices be cheaper at that time? Or should I just suck it up and pay full price for her own room now?

Hello - My spouse and I booked our room on Carnival Paradise a few weeks ago. We were just able to talk my mother in to coming with us, which is so exciting since she's never been on a cruise or even on a vacation outside of her home state. I planned on paying for her trip and assumed that her room would be about half of what we spent. Whoops! I didn't realize that whether you book a room for two people or one person, the price is the same. Anyway, I panicked and just paid to add her to our room. After thinking about it, I'm pretty sure she would be much more comfortable in her own room. My question is, should I wait until right before our cruise to try to get her a room for herself? Will the prices be cheaper at that time? Or should I just suck it up and pay full price for her own room now?

Do it now. You are not going see a special for solo rooms and the close cabins may get booked.

Be aware that if you get her a room for herself, you'll be paying double fare for her. It will most likely be less expensive to add her to your room as the third passenger. Otherwise, you are paying 4 fares.

Yes....other thing to think of, if you are sharing a bed with your husband, is the third bed in that particular room a sleeper sofa or is it the pullman bed on the wall. If it is a Pullman, is she going to be able to climb up there or will either you or your husband sleep up there instead?

You are better off getting all this worked out now. Your reservation will be affected by moving your mother. IF the booking is for three and you want to move her, depending on when you do it, you might need to cancel the entire reservation and make a new booking. This could result in a higher price for all of you. Please set things up like you want them nowl

Is there someone else you could bring, so your mom is not by herself in the cabin and the additional rate is not "wasted"?

This is my exact thought. Either get a 4th passenger to room with your mom, or put her in your room (most rooms have 2 twins, not ideal for 2 grown people, but not unheard of (my DH and I will be sharing the twin on our cruise and our DS (8) and DD (9) will be in the other twin- unless they have those pull down beds, which in that case we'll figure out the sleeping arrangements then). I just know there is no way I am paying DOUBLE for one more person. We are never in the room anyway so if you are like us, it might not be that much of a big deal for you either.

This is my exact thought. Either get a 4th passenger to room with your mom, or put her in your room (most rooms have 2 twins, not ideal for 2 grown people, but not unheard of (my DH and I will be sharing the twin on our cruise and our DS (8) and DD (9) will be in the other twin- unless they have those pull down beds, which in that case we'll figure out the sleeping arrangements then). I just know there is no way I am paying DOUBLE for one more person. We are never in the room anyway so if you are like us, it might not be that much of a big deal for you either.

You can't book 3 or 4 people in a 2 person room, they will not allow it. So your room would be designed to hold 4, not 2

The twin beds make into a big bed and your kids should have pull downs. No reason for you guys to all be miserable when sleeping.:cool:

Look up your cabin on Carnival deck plans, it will tell you the exact configuration.

You might want to check now, and see if there are any 1A cabins available. Although, a solo would still need to pay double (minus tax and port charges), they do tend to be a little less than a regular interior.

I travel solo and I look at the daily cost, not that I am paying double. That is normally $200 per day, which includes room, food, and entertainment. For me, personally, it's a small price to pay for having a cabin all to myself.

You can't book 3 or 4 people in a 2 person room, they will not allow it. So your room would be designed to hold 4, not 2

An extra bed (trundle or rollaway) can be added to the Fantasy Class cabins.

OP--do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An extra bed (trundle or rollaway) can be added to the Fantasy Class cabins.

OP--do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I learn something new every day....the only fantasy class ship I've been on was the Sensation, and my sister and I (she was 11 at the time, I was 16) had our own cabin down the hall from our dad's. So we didn't need the extra bed

This is my exact thought. Either get a 4th passenger to room with your mom, or put her in your room (most rooms have 2 twins, not ideal for 2 grown people, but not unheard of (my DH and I will be sharing the twin on our cruise and our DS (8) and DD (9) will be in the other twin- unless they have those pull down beds, which in that case we'll figure out the sleeping arrangements then)

This does not make any sense with the number of posts this poster has and the number of cruises they have listed in their signature. This poster should know that the 2 twin beds convert into a king for 2 adults and the kids would have pulldowns/sofa or some other sleeping device. Strange posting....

OP: as the other posters have stated, you cannot wait until later to make these arrangements, if you plan to get another cabin for your mother you would need to make that plan now. The solo price for a single person in a cabin will be very expensive as has been noted. Does she have a friend that would be willing to come on the vacation with her?

Cabins are priced "based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY"....it says it right there. She should have her own space. Get her an inside cabin....and while it will still cost the price of 2 people, everyone will be happier!

Cruise lines should stop with the "per person" pricing, and go to "up to 2 people" pricing, like hotels do. Maybe folks wouldn't get so confused!

This is my exact thought. Either get a 4th passenger to room with your mom, or put her in your room (most rooms have 2 twins, not ideal for 2 grown people, but not unheard of (my DH and I will be sharing the twin on our cruise and our DS (8) and DD (9) will be in the other twin- unless they have those pull down beds, which in that case we'll figure out the sleeping arrangements then)

This does not make any sense with the number of posts this poster has and the number of cruises they have listed in their signature. This poster should know that the 2 twin beds convert into a king for 2 adults and the kids would have pulldowns/sofa or some other sleeping device. Strange posting....

Your comment is rude and unnecessary. I've never cruised with my children before, and when I checked my cabin configuration on the deck plan it mentioned only 2 twin beds, nothing was said about pulldowns. Also, my confirmation on the Carnival website says 2 twin beds. It's obvious from my post that my main idea is that I would not pay for a whole separate room-period. I stated clearly in this post that we'll figure out alternative sleeping arrangements if there were indeed pull down beds. In the past, my husband and I had the twins converted to a king so this wasn't an issue.

The twin beds make into a big bed and your kids should have pull downs. No reason for you guys to all be miserable when sleeping.:cool:

Thanks!!! I figured this, but the deck plans only showed twins and my confirmation on the website said 2 twins. I figured we'll just play it by ear when we got there since we aren't picky. Also, thank you for being nice. People can be so darn judgmental! (See above post...).