Do you think shorts are okay in the MDR for dinner?

Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?  

476 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think shorts are appropriate in the MDR for dinner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care

No. How hard is it to put on a pair of nice pants to eat in a nice dining room.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Goes for you too then. No Capri's or Sundresses. Pants or go back to your room. Gowns on formal night; spandex pants and bedazzled blouses won't cut it. So you tell us, how hard is it?

I'm not really for allowing people who wear shorts into the MDR, but not necessarily because I don't feel they are inappropriate, but because I know it's never enough. Once shorts are allowed, then they'll want tee's allowed. Then ball caps, then bathing suit cover and then next then you know, people are in there straight from the pool in their bathing suits. If you can't meet a basic standard in the main dining room of a cruise, then just go eat pizza at Sorrentos, or go the the windjammer or Johnny Rockets. Is this little requirement of pants really that difficult?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why does it matter? You're sitting down when you eat anyway .. who really sees ur legs?!

Besides ... Hellooooo ...... its vacation ... loosen up a little, people.

I agree, if you don't want to wear shorts, don't. It is that easy!

This past Feb we did Chops and Gio's every night on our 6 night Freedom OTS cruise. There were shorts in there every night, including the silly formal night! My meals tasted the same as if those people had long pants!

I'm not really for allowing people who wear shorts into the MDR, but not necessarily because I don't feel they are inappropriate, but because I know it's never enough.

So penalize everyone because some people have poor taste? :confused:

It's not a penalty to wear pants, it's simply a minimum standard.

I never realized so many cruisers were anti-freedom and so into micromanaging others. You think it is okay to penalize ME and limit my choices, because of what some other person might try to push the limits with. Textbook strawman argument.

The penalty isn't the pants, it is the lack freedom to choose what I want. I am not telling you what to do, you won't tell me.

I believe in freedom for adults. I also understand that along the way there's always a handful that will do things I don't like or agree with. That doesn't mean I get to be the one that limits everyones freedoms. In order to enjoy freedom myself I have to accept some things I don't like, oh well, it has no real negative impact on me if someone is in a t-shirt. It just doesn't "get to me" like that.

I never realized so many cruisers were anti-freedom and so into micromanaging others. You think it is okay to penalize ME and limit my choices, because of what some other person might try to push the limits with. Textbook strawman argument.

The penalty isn't the pants, it is the lack freedom to choose what I want. I am not telling you what to do, you won't tell me.

I believe in freedom for adults. I also understand that along the way there's always a handful that will do things I don't like or agree with. That doesn't mean I get to be the one that limits everyones freedoms. In order to enjoy freedom myself I have to accept some things I don't like, oh well, it has no real negative impact on me if someone is in a t-shirt. It just doesn't "get to me" like that.

It's simply a minimum dining room standard. It has nothing to do with your freedom or penalties or anyone else. You are making a lot to do over nothing. And, you are free to choose some other relaxed standard type vacation if you don't like the minimum standards chosen by this cruise line... as am I should RCI decide to relax their dining room standards.

This poor horse was beaten to death long ago,but as Bob pointed out, as long as Royal does not enforce any guidelines what the "official" code is or what any one person thinks really has no relevance. Personally, I think the decor and atmosphere of the main dining room does not lend itself to shorts and its odd that so often now the waitstaff is dressed so much nicer than the passengers, but it is what it is. And for those who are ok with "nice" shorts, I would not want to put it on the crew to delineate between "nice" ones and "not nice" ones. Just sounds like another excuse for some to raise a fuss.

I love wearing tailored shorts during the day but would never wear them on a night in a ships restaurant.

43 cruises and counting.

I've thought about this too. For those in favor of shorts, I wonder if they'd be OK if the waitstaff were allowed to wear shorts.

Great point.

When you see the waiters all dressed up i wonder what opinion they must have of guests who haven't made much effort to look smart.

43 cruises and counting.

Goes for you too then. No Capri's or Sundresses. Pants or go back to your room. Gowns on formal night; spandex pants and bedazzled blouses won't cut it. So you tell us, how hard is it?

Exactly with all the word about equality between men and women,women do tend to be treated more leniently when it comes to dress although i.personally wouldn't complain if a lady wore a short skirt and neither do the male restaurant managers.

43 cruises and counting.

I'm not really for allowing people who wear shorts into the MDR, but not necessarily because I don't feel they are inappropriate, but because I know it's never enough. Once shorts are allowed, then they'll want tee's allowed. Then ball caps, then bathing suit cover and then next then you know, people are in there straight from the pool in their bathing suits. If you can't meet a basic standard in the main dining room of a cruise, then just go eat pizza at Sorrentos, or go the the windjammer or Johnny Rockets. Is this little requirement of pants really that difficult?

Perfectly said.

43 cruises and counting.

I agree, if you don't want to wear shorts, don't. It is that easy!

This past Feb we did Chops and Gio's every night on our 6 night Freedom OTS cruise. There were shorts in there every night, including the silly formal night! My meals tasted the same as if those people had long pants!

My designer shorts and tee shirts cost a lot of money but i personally wouldn't wear them in a restaurant on a night but if other people do and as long as they are smart I don't mind.

43 cruises and counting.

It's simply a minimum dining room standard. It has nothing to do with your freedom or penalties or anyone else. You are making a lot to do over nothing. And, you are free to choose some other relaxed standard type vacation if you don't like the minimum standards chosen by this cruise line... as am I should RCI decide to relax their dining room standards.

Very true statement.

43 cruises and counting.

Great point.

When you see the waiters all dressed up i wonder what opinion they must have of guests who haven't made much effort to look smart.

43 cruises and counting.

I'm confident in saying the staff don't notice or care. And if they did, so what?

Exactly with all the word about equality between men and women,women do tend to be treated more leniently when it comes to dress although i.personally wouldn't complain if a lady wore a short skirt and neither do the male restaurant managers.

43 cruises and counting.

Sexism against men is not only condoned on this board, but loudly promoted. No one will dare say a woman should be held to the same standard as a man. When you bring it up you get crickets for replies. Your statement about short skirts is sad but true. Free pass.

If i felt like that i would stick to a hotel/ beach based holiday.

43 cruises and counting.

Beach based would propose to say swim trunks or active wear. Many are immediately going there with any mention of shorts. I work in a professional office building (insurance industry) and no matter how much some disagree, times have changed. We are business casual every day, but that has changed to include shorts (nice, clean, no active wear) and collared shirts. There is a big difference.

I (along with many others) have plenty of very nice, but comfortable clothes and still like to dress decent, but just don't feel the need to try and impress somebody else. I really don't care what others think of the way I dress, as I dress for myself and my wife. On my last cruise, on formal night, there were people that looked like they just came from the basketball court sitting next to some young woman that, while dressed in a nice dress, it was more suited for a playboy shoot than a formal occasion, as it was cut low enough, you could see her playboy tatoo that was below her waste. Neither of these should even come close to being allowed if there were a "Dress Code". Even those 2, however are fine in my book, as it does not effect my wife's or my dinner. We had fun either way.

If RCI wants to make a dress code and enforce it for all people (not just men, and some times), I will abide or just go on another line. Right now, it is only a suggestion, and (at least on the last cruise I was on) the formal night seemed like just a way to get people to buy more pictures with nothing else really worthy of dressing up for. I did bring dress clothes, but had to buy a suit for it, and then had to lug an extra suitcase (extra cost) for mine and my wifes formal clothes, shoes, accessories.

For a vacation in the carribean (a little hotter than Iowa in the winter), I think people should have the freedom to wear what is comfortable. I don't care what others wear, as it is none of my business and does not effect my enjoyment.

Beach based would propose to say swim trunks or active wear. Many are immediately going there with any mention of shorts. I work in a professional office building (insurance industry) and no matter how much some disagree, times have changed. We are business casual every day, but that has changed to include shorts (nice, clean, no active wear) and collared shirts. There is a big difference.

I (along with many others) have plenty of very nice, but comfortable clothes and still like to dress decent, but just don't feel the need to try and impress somebody else. I really don't care what others think of the way I dress, as I dress for myself and my wife. On my last cruise, on formal night, there were people that looked like they just came from the basketball court sitting next to some young woman that, while dressed in a nice dress, it was more suited for a playboy shoot than a formal occasion, as it was cut low enough, you could see her playboy tatoo that was below her waste. Neither of these should even come close to being allowed if there were a "Dress Code". Even those 2, however are fine in my book, as it does not effect my wife's or my dinner. We had fun either way.

If RCI wants to make a dress code and enforce it for all people (not just men, and some times), I will abide or just go on another line. Right now, it is only a suggestion, and (at least on the last cruise I was on) the formal night seemed like just a way to get people to buy more pictures with nothing else really worthy of dressing up for. I did bring dress clothes, but had to buy a suit for it, and then had to lug an extra suitcase (extra cost) for mine and my wifes formal clothes, shoes, accessories.

For a vacation in the carribean (a little hotter than Iowa in the winter), I think people should have the freedom to wear what is comfortable. I don't care what others wear, as it is none of my business and does not effect my enjoyment.

We do 3 cruises and 3 beach holidays a year so IMO i bring different clothes to match my holiday but everyone has the right to do what suits them.

BTW i wore a suit and tie for 40 years at work.

43 cruises and counting.

I voted that I don't care. Because I don't.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to call it sexist or anything crazy like that.

Crap like this just isn't worth getting all heated up about. JMHO.

Happy holidays.

43 cruises and counting.

Hey, I can't get used to shorts in Church !!! I know some nice silk Tommy Bahama mens shorts and a shirt can be very classic and a great look...unfortunately it's the torn cargo pants and cheap t-shirt that usually shows up with that "don't look at me I'm on vacation" attitude.

Rule of thumb...if you garden, play outside or do chores in your chothes please don't sit in a restaurant that you will be served a 4 course meal in those clothes.