Fallmouth inquiry?

Is Fallmouth a safe port and surrounding area outside of port. We've been to Ocho Rios and has to cut our exploring off early due to town safety and constant haggling by local for rides and weed? Just didnt feel comfortable so we left back to ship. Should we expect the same in Fallmouth?

Is Fallmouth a safe port and surrounding area outside of port. We've been to Ocho Rios and has to cut our exploring off early due to town safety and constant haggling by local for rides and weed? Just didnt feel comfortable so we left back to ship. Should we expect the same in Fallmouth?

I'd take a taxi to Red Stripe Beach, but that's about it.

We did the trolley tour a few years ago (maybe 4yrs) and felt very safe. The guide gave some history of the area and we visited an historic church which had a small straw market nearby. The vendors here were very polite and not pushy at all which is sometimes the case. The trolley leaves from the shopping area outside the ship and returns you there. The whole tour was a little over an hour. The cost is about $20 pp. We enjoyed it!:)

Like others have said I wouldn't just try to leave the port area without a plan. There are quite a few private guides that you can use for the day on the Jamaica board. We used Tour Jamaica Today with our guide Winston and he took us to Blue Hole, lunch and back. He was a good and cautious driver and he wasn't pushy about where to go...he asked if we wanted to go shopping, when we said no, he let it drop. I am so glad we took the chance to do this tour (originally I thought to stay onboard) as it was one of our family favorites. There were quite a few reviews about drivers/guides and companies on these boards with lots of great ideas on things to do there.

We did the trolley tour a few years ago (maybe 4yrs) and felt very safe. The guide gave some history of the area and we visited an historic church which had a small straw market nearby. The vendors here were very polite and not pushy at all which is sometimes the case. The trolley leaves from the shopping area outside the ship and returns you there. The whole tour was a little over an hour. The cost is about $20 pp. We enjoyed it!:)

I agree, we did that a few years back and now days we go outside the port and yes get the hassle, but that is part of making a living, this is not hometown midwest. We usually go to a grocery store and buy a couple of beers and set on the bench and talk to locals. The local vendor really appreciate you buying something from them.

When we were there in 2016, we did a walking tour of Falmouth, an excursion booked through RCL. We felt safe throughout the entire walk. The guide was great and it was really a good insight into the town and how things work in Jamaica. We even got to walk through an elementary school, and interact with the kids during recess. All in all a fun time.

I do agree though that the area outside the cruise terminal can be sketchy if you are going it alone. But I wouldn't hesitate to take a guided tour, either by foot or bus.

If you felt uncomfortable in Ocho Rios you'll feel the same outside the port in Falmouth.

Last time in Falmouth we went to Montego Bay. Hit the beach at Doctors Cave, checked out the shops nearby. Had lunch at Margaritaville (the view is GREAT). We had a great day there, but again if you were uncomfortable in Ocho you might not like that either.......

Falmouth is fine. If you go into town guess what you will see, cruise ship pax walking around, shopping, eating etc.. They also do walking tours and trolley tours. You can also get a cab over to mo bay and walk the strip with no problems.

I agree, we did that a few years back and now days we go outside the port and yes get the hassle, but that is part of making a living, this is not hometown midwest. We usually go to a grocery store and buy a couple of beers and set on the bench and talk to locals. The local vendor really appreciate you buying something from them.

That"s the difference between a tourist and a traveller. You choose to live within the gates or venture beyond and experience life as a citizen of the world. Bravo.

Dawn

Thanks guys for the info and some ideas as well.

Try the food tour listed on Trip Advisor....

Excellent food, interesting local tour and wonderful guides. I don't usually do this type of tour but I am so glad I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yikes. I was hoping for something better in Ocho Rios when I visit in November.

We have walked around Falmouth with no issues at all. You will not find much shopping but the local culture is very interesting. If you are concerned about safety for some reason there is a strong police presence walking around. We also one took the Trolley Tour (boards inside the port area) and once we did the Jamaica Culinary walking tour (guided) which I would highly recommend. They have a website and you can arrange it in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
We have walked around Falmouth with no issues at all. You will not find much shopping but the local culture is very interesting. If you are concerned about safety for some reason there is a strong police presence walking around. We also one took the Trolley Tour (boards inside the port area) and once we did the Jamaica Culinary walking tour (guided) which I would highly recommend. They have a website and you can arrange it in advance.

Ok thank you

Well, whenever this question is asked, I always wonder where a person lives. So I'm from a big city (NYC) area and having heavy traffic, and panhandlers all over the place, not to mention depending on where I was walking, the sale of drugs and prostitution. Now I live in the country, away from it all.

So when a poster asks is it safe I would assume, they live in the country, and have never been exposed to this type of life. The answer to the question, is that the area is a safe area, and you can walk around. Like all cities, don't bring tons of money, make sure your wallet is in a safe pocket (zippered or buttoned is good) and you don't flash large bills, or big diamonds around. Jamaica is no different than any other city, and is a safe place to shop, eat, and have a drink in a café.

If you go into Falmouth on an excursion, you should be fine.

Do not go independently. There were no other passengers on the main roads when we were there. You also stick out like a sore thumb. Not only do the locals not take no for an answer, they follow you as well. Never again!

We just returned from the Allure this past Sunday. We did not have any excursions planned for Falmouth, but decided to just get off and visit a few shops. Inside the gate was fine. We decided to venture outside the gate...well we lasted about 2 blocks and that was all I could take. People were coming at us from every direction asking us to ride with them to various beaches,etc. Every other person had big joints hanging out of their mouths. Glad our kids were not with us for that.

If you go into Falmouth on an excursion' date=' you should be fine.

Do not go independently. There were no other passengers on the main roads when we were there. You also stick out like a sore thumb. Not only do the locals not take no for an answer, they follow you as well. Never again![/quote']I agree with ganurse007. I should have been more specific. Inside the port area is clean and safe. :) Outside the port area is per my post above. :eek:

Have done the same many times in falmouth. We go outside the port and walk around town. Always stop for some drinks and get a few beef patties from the local tastee patty shop that is located down the main strip on a corner. Patties are half price and way better than the small kiosk in the port. Had a big police presence in the center of town but as you got farther out of town the police presence became non existing. Felt safe walking around with all the police presence and big crowds. Did not get hassled much to buy anything oncdlyrics we left the shops surrounding the port.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

We just returned from the Allure this past Sunday. We did not have any excursions planned for Falmouth, but decided to just get off and visit a few shops. Inside the gate was fine. We decided to venture outside the gate...well we lasted about 2 blocks and that was all I could take. People were coming at us from every direction asking us to ride with them to various beaches,etc. Every other person had big joints hanging out of their mouths. Glad our kids were not with us for that.

This is really pushing a stereotype and is unfair to the good people of Falmouth.

I'm with you, in fact I though Falmouth was great and the locals were very friendly.