Help restuarant and take out priced meals in Sydney Australia.

kruisey

It's always a big shock when people find out about the restaurant prices in Australia. But everything there costs a lot more.

I guess you have not visited these relatives in Australia before so here are some tips on the etiquette of staying with family there. When visiting other people's homes in Australia, you are expected to pay for and bring your own groceries. They will take you to the grocery store (but considering the emergency situation - they may not have time to do that, so you might want to take a taxi) and provide you with towels and a bed, but you should bring your own shampoo and soap and other personal items as well as food. I usually wind up buying a hair dryer and leaving it with my hosts when I leave. Also bring gifts for your host and hostess. What I typically do is preplan what I will make them to eat and then bring some of what is needed with me. Since I live in Texas, I make Tex Mex for my Aussie relatives. So I will bring tortillas and the spices and salsa for fajitas in their original sealed bags/containers then grab chicken, peppers, onions, avocado, cheese, sour cream and oil at the grocery store. Simple to make since it only requires 1 pan and then a bowl to make guacamole.

If you take a taxi, sit in the front seat with the driver - otherwise they will think that you think you are better than them. Tip Sydney taxi drivers no more than 10%.

In addition, to cooking or providing a meal for them during your stay. Always offer to help with the dishes and cleanup.

Hope that helps.

As as Australian, I find these comments most insulting. I hope it is related to the first of April. K

Edited by kunnocat
Added a thought

It's always a big shock when people find out about the restaurant prices in Australia. But everything there costs a lot more.

I guess you have not visited these relatives in Australia before so here are some tips on the etiquette of staying with family there. When visiting other people's homes in Australia, you are expected to pay for and bring your own groceries. They will take you to the grocery store (but considering the emergency situation - they may not have time to do that, so you might want to take a taxi) and provide you with towels and a bed, but you should bring your own shampoo and soap and other personal items as well as food. I usually wind up buying a hair dryer and leaving it with my hosts when I leave. Also bring gifts for your host and hostess. What I typically do is preplan what I will make them to eat and then bring some of what is needed with me. Since I live in Texas, I make Tex Mex for my Aussie relatives. So I will bring tortillas and the spices and salsa for fajitas in their original sealed bags/containers then grab chicken, peppers, onions, avocado, cheese, sour cream and oil at the grocery store. Simple to make since it only requires 1 pan and then a bowl to make guacamole.

If you take a taxi, sit in the front seat with the driver - otherwise they will think that you think you are better than them. Tip Sydney taxi drivers no more than 10%.

In addition, to cooking or providing a meal for them during your stay. Always offer to help with the dishes and cleanup.

Hope that helps.

As as Australian, I find these comments most insulting. I hope it is related to the first of April. K

Suite Traveller doesn't usually joke and as irritated as she seems to be getting, I'm guessing she is not joking about her comments. I'm pretty sure that is what her family really does. However, I was finding it really hard to believe that what she was saying was the normal for the whole country. Aussies seem more friendly then that. Maybe her husband's family thinks they are rich and are bitter so insist if they are too cheap to stay at a hotel that they buy every thing.

This entire thread, though, shows why people are so confused about tipping. We are getting mixed answers from Aussies about how much we should (or shouldn't) tip so calling us disrespectful for not tipping as an Aussie would seems unfair.

Suite Traveller doesn't usually joke and as irritated as she seems to be getting, I'm guessing she is not joking about her comments. I'm pretty sure that is what her family really does. However, I was finding it really hard to believe that what she was saying was the normal for the whole country. Aussies seem more friendly then that. Maybe her husband's family thinks they are rich and are bitter so insist if they are too cheap to stay at a hotel that they buy every thing.

Well unfortunately she has stated that it's the norm in Australia and she is wrong. It's that simple really.

She's also wrong about the driver thinking you are better than them if you get in the back seat of the Taxi.

Now I normally jump in the front seat if it's just me, but if it's me and Mrs Gut we normally jump in the back together.

But to be honest I have no idea where she has come up with her ideas.

Tipping.. It is not expected in Australia. Our wages are good in comparison to some countries. However, if one feels inclined to add something to the restaurant, hairdresser, taxi charge etc, one is free to do so. What we don't want is people expecting to get a tip. A tip is for extra service, not ordinary service or their regular duties.

And yes because of the higher wages, the prices are higher. Doesn't help people on a fixed income, like pensioners. I eat out vary rarely. If staying in a hotel I do as previously suggested, visit a supermarket, and shop accordingly. Then have a picnic. :D K

I'm from Australia and I would be insulted if a houseguest bought there own groceries, shampoo etc. I have never heard of such a thing.

As mentioned earlier if going to an informal BBQ by all means bring some meat and personal drinks but side dishes are usually supplied, however if from out of town or overseas then everything would be provided.

Chinese takeaway food usually costs around $16 - $19 and not very often delivered. It is very easy to get a pizza delivered which ranges from $10 up.

Also confirming above about tipping, round up your cab fare but only to the nearest $5 is acceptable, tip at a restaurant what ever you think 10 per cent is fine but generally no one is looking or expecting a tip anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm from Australia and I would be insulted if a houseguest bought there own groceries, shampoo etc. I have never heard of such a thing.

As mentioned earlier if going to an informal BBQ by all means bring some meat and personal drinks but side dishes are usually supplied, however if from out of town or overseas then everything would be provided.

Chinese takeaway food usually costs around $16 - $19 and not very often delivered. It is very easy to get a pizza delivered which ranges from $10 up.

Also confirming above about tipping, round up your cab fare but only to the nearest $5 is acceptable, tip at a restaurant what ever you think 10 per cent is fine but generally no one is looking or expecting a tip anywhere.

Yep. And I think someone on this thread either hates Aussies, or is having a stir.

My 2 cents worth on tipping in Australia, is it is not required but will be welcomed, rounding up is more than appropriate even in classy (expensive) restaurants.

Yep. And I think someone on this thread either hates Aussies, or is having a stir.

Personally it was 1st April in North America and at first I was taken in.

It was a question of pricing because I am going to convert some funds into Australian for my few days there before I board.With the exchange rates folks can loose having to convert back.

Actually I do have a friend who never fed his visitors from overseas they had run of his home but bought and fed themselves .To each his/her own......

<snip>I guess you have not visited these relatives in Australia before so here are some tips on the etiquette of staying with family there. When visiting other people's homes in Australia, you are expected to pay for and bring your own groceries.<snip>

Having a large extended family, including a metric buttload of them in Aus/NZ, and having no reason to believe you would lie about your experiences I can only assume that your relatives are ghastly people and not remotely like any normal folks I've met. Aussie etiquette is certainly not identical to UK, US, Canada but given the very similar cultural makeup of the earliest colonial settlers, the fundamental rules of hospitality are very similar across all of the 'western' English speaking countries.

Just like in the UK/US/Canada, a host(ess) gift is certainly appreciated, bringing your own booze to a party the norm (it makes sure there's something there you find enjoyable if nothing else!), and an OFFER to bring a dish to dinner/go grocery shopping/help with meals etc. is the polite thing to do, but even the cheapest relative of my acquaintance - a man with a dent on the back of his head from bending down to catch dropped pennies too fast - would be horrified at what you indicate are the normal expectations of your relatives.

The only things anyone I know expects to be paid for or provided by visitors are tangible items that we have zero need for ourselves and would never acquire - e.g. my sister is visiting next month with her infant son so I am buying a car seat and having it fitted professionally, since we're child-free and know diddly about that sort of thing. She immediately offered to pay for this and renting a cot/any other baby stuff needed for her stay and I accepted. I'll Craigslist the seat when she leaves to minimise her $ outlay.

Folks who abuse their hosts' largesse by accepting free food and lodging without some reciprocity of hosting others soon find that their invitations to lodge with others dry up; those who are good hosts themselves are always welcomed. The only folks who are ever expected to actually have offers to pay for their own groceries etc. accepted are the rare family members that simply cannot host other visitors due to their situation (they live somewhere nobody ever wants to visit or their place is too tiny to host anyone) - even then, at least in our extended network of family and friends, it's more often the case that those folks will take everyone out to dinner and pay so that they feel they are vaguely 'balancing the books'.

I am genuinely saddened by how crappily your relatives have treated you. If you're cruising out of Vancouver in the future drop me a line and I'll have you round for a free dinner - you don't even have to bring wine or do the dishes!

Edited by martincath
dang double-spacing!

Well, I must admit I'm completely mystified. My husband and I have well over 40 extended family members in Australia and several hundred friends, many of them his lifelong best friends, college friends and work friends and their wives and what I described is how things always have been when we have visited them over the past 31 years - in dozens and dozens of trips to Australia and also when they visit us in the US. They are NOT ghastly people nor do I find it rude at all. I've always considered it a cultural difference and I'm totally fine with that. I really enjoy these people and greatly look forward to seeing them and I'm always sad when it is time to say goodbye because we have so much fun together. These family members and friends come from all walks of life, from farming to university professors, doctors, dentists, engineers, IT management, railroad workers, shop assistants, homemakers, fashion designer, nurse, car salesman, entrepreneur, builder, realtor - just give you an idea of who these folks are and in my experience this is how ALL of them roll. A few of them are dual citizens having migrated from Canada or the UK but most were born in Australia. They live all over the Eastern side of Australia from Cairns to Noosa to Toowoomba to Brisbane to the Gold Coast to Hunter Valley to Sydney and Canberra in all kinds of situations from farms to small flats to high rise apartments to small homes and even multi million dollar homes. We have stayed with them and they have stayed with us in the US and in Australia (and they all bought their own food.) I would think because we know well over 300+ people there - both relatives and a lot of good friends and because ALL of them have consistently behaved the same way over 31 years, they would be a pretty good example of how things are in Australia but maybe I am wrong and we somehow have found the ONLY 300+ people in Australia who behave this way.

Do you all really think that they are treating us this way because we are well off? Some of them are of modest means, but many of them are very well off as well. We mainly stayed in their homes when we were in our 20's and early 30's and didn't have much money. And we're not too cheap to stay in a hotel - we do rent 2 - 3 bedroom condos in resort areas in Australia and invite them to come stay with us and they ALWAYS bring food there when they are staying with us. So I always just thought that was normal.

Is it possible that for 31 years all these people have resented us and we didn't even know? I'm just gutted to think that because some of these people I think of as my very best friends in the world...

It was a question of pricing because I am going to convert some funds into Australian for my few days there before I board.With the exchange rates folks can loose having to convert back.

Actually I do have a friend who never fed his visitors from overseas they had run of his home but bought and fed themselves .To each his/her own......

Personally I'd get very little cash (maybe a few hundred) and use your card.

Well, I must admit I'm completely mystified. My husband and I have well over 40 extended family members in Australia and several hundred friends, many of them his lifelong best friends, college friends and work friends and their wives and what I described is how things always have been when we have visited them over the past 31 years - in dozens and dozens of trips to Australia and also when they visit us in the US. They are NOT ghastly people nor do I find it rude at all. I've always considered it a cultural difference and I'm totally fine with that. I really enjoy these people and greatly look forward to seeing them and I'm always sad when it is time to say goodbye because we have so much fun together. These family members and friends come from all walks of life, from farming to university professors, doctors, dentists, engineers, IT management, railroad workers, shop assistants, homemakers, fashion designer, nurse, car salesman, entrepreneur, builder, realtor - just give you an idea of who these folks are and in my experience this is how ALL of them roll. A few of them are dual citizens having migrated from Canada or the UK but most were born in Australia. They live all over the Eastern side of Australia from Cairns to Noosa to Toowoomba to Brisbane to the Gold Coast to Hunter Valley to Sydney and Canberra in all kinds of situations from farms to small flats to high rise apartments to small homes and even multi million dollar homes. We have stayed with them and they have stayed with us in the US and in Australia (and they all bought their own food.) I would think because we know well over 300+ people there - both relatives and a lot of good friends and because ALL of them have consistently behaved the same way over 31 years, they would be a pretty good example of how things are in Australia but maybe I am wrong and we somehow have found the ONLY 300+ people in Australia who behave this way.

Do you all really think that they are treating us this way because we are well off? Some of them are of modest means, but many of them are very well off as well. We mainly stayed in their homes when we were in our 20's and early 30's and didn't have much money. And we're not too cheap to stay in a hotel - we do rent 2 - 3 bedroom condos in resort areas in Australia and invite them to come stay with us and they ALWAYS bring food there when they are staying with us. So I always just thought that was normal.

Is it possible that for 31 years all these people have resented us and we didn't even know? I'm just gutted to think that because some of these people I think of as my very best friends in the world...

In that situation then yes, bringing some groceries is acceptable, as you are only visiting yourself.

I would get maybe $200-500 for smaller purchases and incidentals and use the credit card for the rest.

I would never expect guests, especially those from overseas, to provide groceries in my home, unless they want specific items that I usually don't eat. In fact I usually check with anyone staying to see if they want me to pick up anything special for them before they arrive. Typically they would be breakfast items or snack foods.

I never expect guests to cook in my home. I may allow them to cook a meal if they offer but never on the night they arrive - I usually have that meal organized well in advance. Although some family members have become much more complicated lately since they became vegan - they might get told to do their own cooking! ;p However I usually offer to help with the cooking when we visit friends but that's mostly because I enjoy cooking.

The only time people bring their own shampoo etc is when they prefer particular brands to suit their hair, just as I always take my own shampoo when travelling.

I do appreciate it when guests bring bottle of wine to share, or offer to take us out for a meal, but I don't expect that.

The first time my husband took me to Australia to meet his family (we were in our 20's), the day we arrived as it became time for dinner, my MIL said, "Well I'm not cooking." and ALL of the men (my husband, his brothers and his dad) looked at me. I had been on flights and waiting in airports for the past 28 hours, and we landed around 7am in Sydney, then drove to my BIL's house in Canberra, essentially, I had been awake at that point for about 40 hours straight except for a fitful nap in economy on the plane that lasted maybe 30 minutes and I got put on cooking duty straight away. BUT FIRST we had to go to the grocery store because my BIL didn't have much food in the house at all, so I couldn't even make dinner with whatever he had on hand. LOL!

That is the worst tale of appalling hospitality I have ever heard. :eek:

It sounds like they were testing you for some reason or other. I would have walked out at that point after having serious words with my husband for his lack of support. :mad:

The alternative would to have cooked something that you and your husband liked but that might have been challenging for his family, like a seriously hot chilli dish for example. :D

I would never expect guests, especially those from overseas, to provide groceries in my home, unless they want specific items that I usually don't eat. In fact I usually check with anyone staying to see if they want me to pick up anything special for them before they arrive. Typically they would be breakfast items or snack foods.

I never expect guests to cook in my home. I may allow them to cook a meal if they offer but never on the night they arrive - I usually have that meal organized well in advance. Although some family members have become much more complicated lately since they became vegan - they might get told to do their own cooking! ;p However I usually offer to help with the cooking when we visit friends but that's mostly because I enjoy cooking.

The only time people bring their own shampoo etc is when they prefer particular brands to suit their hair, just as I always take my own shampoo when travelling.

I do appreciate it when guests bring bottle of wine to share, or offer to take us out for a meal, but I don't expect that.

Pretty much the same, unless mum was visiting, in which case I'd be happy for her to cook.

Depending where your relatives live in Sydney, you should be able to get take-away delivered to you. A lot of local restaurants will deliver, and both Delivery Hero and Menu Log have a number of restaurants registered with them, you just log on online, select your cuisine, pick a restaurant, then choose what you want, and they deliver it to you (rather than the restaurant itself) for a small fee (around $3). Depending on where you're staying there'll be a number of options for Pizza, Chinese, Thai, & Indian through both of these.

Take away Chinese for 6 people will probably cost you around $120 to $150 (probably same for Thai and Indian). Pizza & garlic bread will be about $80-90 (extra if you want pasta or sides). Fish & Chips from a 'chippy' will set you back about $10 each. Prices will be more expensive the closer you get to the actual CBD too.

Restaurant prices can vary drastically. Most good cafes and restaurants will have a range of entrees at $10-15, mains $25-$40 and desserts $15-20. You can get a decent pub meal for $15-20.

As a guide for something to compare with Canadian Prices, a medium-sized meal option from McDonalds is about $10AUD

Most places will take card payment (it's really only the small corner fish & chip shop that may not), so you may not need a heap of cash.

Hope the emergency situation is resolved quickly

That is the worst tale of appalling hospitality I have ever heard. :eek:

It sounds like they were testing you for some reason or other. I would have walked out at that point after having serious words with my husband for his lack of support. :mad:

The alternative would to have cooked something that you and your husband liked but that might have been challenging for his family, like a seriously hot chilli dish for example. :D

Well the situation was that my youngest BIL was getting married in two days and his (and my husband's) parents had come down to his city for the wedding and they had been staying there for quite some time prior to our arrival (obviously too long) and apparently there was a lot of tension before we even arrived. Also, my inlaw's main means of communication with each other is bickering and that went on extensively the entire time which is stressful to have to listen to. So when they all wanted me to make dinner, exhausted as I was, honestly, I was glad to get the heck out of that house and go to a grocery store with my husband and BIL where I wasn't forced to listen to the endless bickering and then isolate myself in the kitchen while I cooked. At the grocery store, I bought some Passiona for the first time that day (my favorite soda ever!) - and various Australian candy bars and other non-perishable food items not available in the US to take back home with us as well as food for the next 2 days. I had hoped a good nights sleep might adjust everyone's attitude and my inlaws would stop bickering by the next morning, but it started up the next morning as I cooked breakfast and continued all the way through the wedding rehearsal, the wedding and reception, even when my inlaws were getting in their car to drive back to their small town. Meanwhile, we headed to Sydney and then to the Hunter Valley and up the coast to continue our trip without them.

I guess I should mention that I truly love my inlaws and would do anything in the world for them and I actually found humor in all the bickering that was going on. In the years since, I've developed effective techniques to stop the bickering so that we can have a more pleasant visit with them.

Regardless of the place I was traveling to, I can't imagine expecting my hosts to provide soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

I spend several weeks each year with friends on the west coast. I bring along the tea I prefer, my shampoo and conditioner, even my own body soap. I do expect there to be hand soap for washing at the sink and expect sheets, towels, pillows, etc., but that's about it. That said, I think it would be odd to invite someone to be a guest in my home and to bring their own groceries and make their own meals.

Yes minimum wage here is about $17 an hour, then penalty rates for weekends etc.

don't get too excited about cost of things, between the no tipping policy (I was spoken to 3 times about that when there last year) and your exchange rate things actually work out well. just remember you are in a city so prices are at high end

Well the situation was that my youngest BIL was getting married in two days and his (and my husband's) parents had come down to his city for the wedding and they had been staying there for quite some time prior to our arrival (obviously too long) and apparently there was a lot of tension before we even arrived. Also, my inlaw's main means of communication with each other is bickering and that went on extensively the entire time which is stressful to have to listen to. So when they all wanted me to make dinner, exhausted as I was, honestly, I was glad to get the heck out of that house and go to a grocery store with my husband and BIL where I wasn't forced to listen to the endless bickering and then isolate myself in the kitchen while I cooked. At the grocery store, I bought some Passiona for the first time that day (my favorite soda ever!) - and various Australian candy bars and other non-perishable food items not available in the US to take back home with us as well as food for the next 2 days. I had hoped a good nights sleep might adjust everyone's attitude and my inlaws would stop bickering by the next morning, but it started up the next morning as I cooked breakfast and continued all the way through the wedding rehearsal, the wedding and reception, even when my inlaws were getting in their car to drive back to their small town. Meanwhile, we headed to Sydney and then to the Hunter Valley and up the coast to continue our trip without them.

I guess I should mention that I truly love my inlaws and would do anything in the world for them and I actually found humor in all the bickering that was going on. In the years since, I've developed effective techniques to stop the bickering so that we can have a more pleasant visit with them.

That's a radically different story than your first post on the topic.