My View: A Rainy Spring Break on Freedom of the Seas

My View: Back in Fort Lauderdale - we were headed to the shuttle pick up area:

83cb5a75d837f1ea45bfd5e316770b48.jpg

TIP: The shuttle pick up area marked in this photo is for Park 'n' go, car rental shuttles, and hotel shuttles:

8f52f36830aa92c5d5b14a86e8e644bf.jpg

TIP: On the last morning, we always eat in the main dining room. It is much more relaxing than the crazy crowds in the Windjammer.

This was the first time we decided to walk off with our luggage. It was pretty easy, except that we were in a long line to get off the ship. We needed to get on the road, though! At least we get to sail out of Port Canaveral next time - nice and close to home :)

One last look at Freedom…until next time (who knows when, since she will be far, far away):

56582bc0bee51c22d0b60182e746f0b4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

TIP: If you travel through Port Everglades, there is a new way to avoid the lines to go through customs. Before you leave home, download the Mobile Passport app on your phone. You can scan your passport at home, and complete all your basic information to set up the app. Once in Port Everglades, you can enter “New trip” information to go through the shorter line at customs.

Be aware though: you have to go through customs within 4 hours after you submit your trip information and answer your questions. You still need to present your passport to the agent.

NOTE: I say ’shorter’ line, not ‘faster’ line. We timed it with people who had been right in front of us getting off the ship. They went through the regular line, which snaked a few times. We went through the Mobile Passport line, which was a straight, shorter line. We got to our customs agent about the same time they were in the front of their line. So, it took us about the same time. Hopefully, they will increase the Mobile Passport lines now that the word of the APP is out. (Other reviews have stated that this line is much faster.)

Here are the directions they gave on the stateroom TV to use the app.:

d9afae7c645ebd70a387af7e529df73e.jpg

df3ad9d51f79a174c69648328adda9dd.jpg

3d224ba33f3efbef70a61aac5e0983bf.jpg

328689cbabfdb5395193ebc6e080c77a.jpg

c522704a7cdd3b41aedf184d3f72a500.jpg

c8cb57c61ad35ec8930e3f23bde59448.jpg

This information was specific to this cruise, and may differ for you if you are on a different ship or at a different terminal. You can watch the debarkation channel on the stateroom TV to get your specific information:

61962f9e90fff98c042a68d0db63a80c.jpg

93a409b678d6ad2f82672cc222b34b46.jpg

Well, that is the end of my official views of our cruise. I will post a few papers from our cruise, and quote the cabin hacks a little later, as promised.

For now, Happy future cruising from our Family of the Seas to yours:

aa1f87e8f3262fc95a61cb6f0e0a040d.jpg

“Something” of the Seas… it stayed a bit too far off in the haze for the superzoom to reach the name:

eaf70060eba1dec13706cd31dbc96cab.jpg

OK, I' not trying to be a smart a$$. Look above the bridge, see the area that looks like a white slanted roof? That is the covering of the peek-a-boo bridge. That means this has to be a Voyager class ship. Now look at the structure of the side cabin balconies. The only Voyager class ships with that structure are Navigator and Mariner. Mariner is presently cruising is Asia. This has to be Navigator of the Seas.

A few cabin hacks from previous cruises:

Packing Tips:

I read a great tip to pack magnetic hooks, which really helped save space on the counters. I hung our hats there, and also the wet swimwear.

DSCN0284_zpsnpncnbc9.jpeg

I only pack the Over the door organizer for Oasis-class ships, but it is very handy if you have 3-4 people sharing a small cabin.

This is the first time I packed the "Over the door organizer". I never thought I would need it, but it came in very handy on Oasis. Shelf space in the small bathroom is very limited - much more limited than on Freedom of the Seas. Besides that, I will not travel without one again. It is great for storing sun lotion, hair products, brushes, combs, etc.

DSCN0470_zpskdyowc3a.jpg

More tips from a previous cruise review:

This post is full of tips! Don't skip it :D

1. Put a rag in the tray for your shampoo, soap, and razor - that way they do not fall through the slats onto the shower floor...

DSCN4168_zps38812810.jpeg

2. Pack empty ziploc bags for those late night snacks - grab extra cookies from the Promenade Cafe or from the Windjammer...

DSCN4235_zps6307d3e3.jpeg

3. Pack a flashlight with a magnet. Notice how the light switch for the bathroom is to the right of the door, outside the door, and how the door swings open to the right? Poor planning! Everyone wakes up to that bright light when you turn it on at night. So, bring a magnetic flashlight to put just inside the bathroom for easy access at night. It is also helpful to use inside the safe to find your iPod among all the other electronic devices, camera lenses, passports, and $1 bills...:eek:

DSCN4165_zps3b1c60ad.jpeg

DSCN4166_zpsfa356928.jpeg

Still more tips:

More tips!

4. Bring one of those plugs that allows for multiple items to be charged at once:

DSCN4170_zps663b57a4.jpeg

Here is what you get in the cabin (including the European outlet for my friends on the other side of the Atlantic)

DSCN4171_zpsbe1bafe6.jpeg

DSCN4173_zps1c8d438e.jpeg

In the bathroom:

DSCN4175_zpsbcefa21b.jpeg

Here is what you get in the "cooler". It was definitely NOT a fridge. The water was even just a little cooler than room temperature in there.

DSCN4086_zps6904ff61.jpeg

PS: The 'fridge'/cooler was empty on our most recent cruise. I really prefer it that way. We were once charged for something we did not use (we never do). Although we were refunded, it was a hassle.

A few final tips:

Tips about your cabin

Did you know?

Behind those mirrors are cabinets :)

Here are the cabinets closed:

DSCN3623_zps08261e24.jpeg

Here they are open:

DSCN3624_zpsf1789379.jpeg

DSCN3625_zps16be6eb4.jpeg

In the bathroom:

Note the hinges on the right side mirror:

DSCN3622_zps112619f5.jpeg

Voila! Space for our girlie makeup!

DSCN3621_zpsc81a0335.jpeg

OK, I' not trying to be a smart a$$. Look above the bridge, see the area that looks like a white slanted roof? That is the covering of the peek-a-boo bridge. That means this has to be a Voyager class ship. Now look at the structure of the side cabin balconies. The only Voyager class ships with that structure are Navigator and Mariner. Mariner is presently cruising is Asia. This has to be Navigator of the Seas.

Another clue are the extra staterooms on deck 12 forward, which Mariner does not have.

This has been such a great review with beautiful pictures and very helpful tips!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

Thank you for following along! I had a lot of fun reliving our cruise this week [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Awesome trip report..

Thank you!

Thanks for the review. I will be accompaning her or her trip to Barcelona 2 weeks from today.

Nice!! Enjoy! We would love to do a TA sometime - decided to wait until our son graduates... 7 grades down, 6 more to go... ;p

Thank you for the review and all the amazing pictures! Calling out the tips separately was also a nice touch.

Despite the weather, I'm glad your family had a great trip. It's nice to have the Freedom to go on a cruise!! ;)