You have to love this !

EDLOS

The smart people at the top did away with the seating on the Promenade Deck on the Koningsdam and I assume on the other new ship under construction.

At the Seatrade Cruise Global Convention in Ft Lauderdale :

Quote from Top Exec. of Norwegian Cruise Lines on their new "Leonardo Class" of ships which feature MORE OPEN AREAS IN THE BOTTOM DECKS,

"The design is a departure from Norwegian's traditional approach, which typically featured closed decks except for the pool deck at the ship's top. "THE AIM IS SO PEOPLE CAN CONNECT WITH THE SEA." says CEO Del Rio.

So much for management being on top of trends and knowing what they are doing at HAL or at Norwegian !!!!!

That's why they get paid the big bucks ????

The reason I cruise is to connect to the sea. It's harder to do on the upper decks where you often can't see the water when you're lounging in a deck chair. That's one reason why we always choose a veranda stateroom.

So much for management being on top of trends and knowing what they are doing at HAL or at Norwegian !!!!!

I'm confused by your post. Are you saying it's a bad idea to have more open decks?

enhance

I feel sorry for those people who loved to sit on the Promenade Deck and now can no longer do so on the newer HAL ships and by the sounds of it, NCL as well.

My husband and I both noticed how popular the Promenade Deck loungers were on our recent Zuiderdam cruise. Many afternoons there were few chairs available as they are a wonderful spot for folks who don't always want all the sun to sit and enjoy the sea.

It's sad to see cruise lines move away from this, one of the traditional cruising features.

Maybe HAL & NCL should talk to each other to find out what cruise passengers really want. Since HAL does not listen to what people have been saying about the lack of deck chairs on the K'dam.

Allan

I'm confused by your post. Are you saying it's a bad idea to have more open decks?

enhance

I am a confirmed Promenade lover, I spend more time there than any other place on the DAM ships and Norwegian is apparently heading in that direction with her new ships as HAL goes in the other direction with their new ships. You then tell me which one has the clearer Crystal Ball ?????? I am betting on Norwegian based upon the above rendering

I am a confirmed Promenade lover, I spend more time there than any other place on the DAM ships and Norwegian is apparently heading in that direction with her new ships as HAL goes in the other direction with their new ships. You then tell me which one has the clearer Crystal Ball ?????? I am betting on Norwegian based upon the above rendering

If you are correct - and I think you are - that answers my earlier question as to which line is behind the curve: HAL.

So . . . the question is: Which cruise line, HAL or NCL, is behind the curve?

Could be neither, could be both as these lines are building ships designed for their specific passengers and not all cruise passengers.

That's where I was confused with Del Rio's comments and your first post. They said the design was a "departure" from "typically closed decks," but the last 3 ships they built not only have a promenade, but also a Waterfront with restaurants, bars and seating areas with couches. This area on Escape was one of the nicest outdoor promenades I've ever seen on a ship. Yes, I think HAL could learn a lot from NCL in this particular area.

enhance

That's where I was confused with Del Rio's comments and your first post. They said the design was a "departure" from "typically closed decks," but the last 3 ships they built not only have a promenade, but also a Waterfront with restaurants, bars and seating areas with couches. This area on Escape was one of the nicest outdoor promenades I've ever seen on a ship. Yes, I think HAL could learn a lot from NCL in this particular area.

enhance

That looks very pleasant. Something HAL could do to improve the promenade deck lounging would be to have a bar cart go by once in a while. It couldn't be a full bar, but soda, beer, wine could easily be set up in a bed of ice. Now that they have the tablets it would be easy to do the charges.

enhance

Wow....that is nice! Much better than HAL's K. Looks so relaxing!

Edited by Tinknock50

enhance

That has to be one of the nicest promenade decks I've ever seen. I would love to sail on any ship that has one of those. Some thing for HAL to have a look at.

Allan

One of the nicer areas on Veendam (our last HAL ship) was the Promenade. We sat there for hours wrapped in blankets (Alaska cruise) watching the scenery. Something we missed on our RCCL cruises.

Something HAL could do to improve the promenade deck lounging would be to have a bar cart go by once in a while.

I do recall a cart on the Promenade with coffee - including the ability to make Irish Coffee or Bailey's & Coffee. A very nice warm-up on cool Alaska days.

The smart people at the top did away with the seating on the Promenade Deck on the Koningsdam and I assume on the other new ship under construction.

At the Seatrade Cruise Global Convention in Ft Lauderdale :

Quote from Top Exec. of Norwegian Cruise Lines on their new "Leonardo Class" of ships which feature MORE OPEN AREAS IN THE BOTTOM DECKS,

"The design is a departure from Norwegian's traditional approach, which typically featured closed decks except for the pool deck at the ship's top. "THE AIM IS SO PEOPLE CAN CONNECT WITH THE SEA." says CEO Del Rio.

Some one is listening to guest.

You originally confused me too, but like you we are confirmed Promenade Deck Loungers.. I would also like to go with your bet, that Norwegian has the better crystal ball..

We really enjoyed our Lanai cabin & if we could not spend our time on the Promenade Deck on a HAL ship might look into the newer Norwegian ships.. :cool:

enhance

This matches our experience on the Breakaway r/t to the Bahamas from NYC. As you can see, nobody is out there! Admittedly we left in Nov., but by the first afternoon the weather was gorgeous and still few people took advantage of the space. A large number of the bars and specialty restaurants had direct access to outside service areas, but... Any evening, want a drink? You had to go in and get it yourself. Want to have dinner outside? Had to beg for such a seat because the servers didn't want to have to monitor/serve the space. Just my opinion, of course, but beautifully designed space totally wasted.