Buffet Now Aimed Primarily At Folk Who Don't Like Dining?

megacruiser

We found that our food on the Oriana in February was better than we had ever had .... overall we have noticed massive improvements over the past six or seven months, not a decline. But we can't speak for the buffet 'cos we don't go in there.

Totally agree with Kalos #11 re the Beach House. We recently returned from Britannia and dined in there one night only as the food was not good. I too had the Mushrooms for starter and the Chicken Sizzler plate. The mushroom dish was indeed like soup and still cooking on the table but my chicken and OHs beef was tasteless. Overall the food generally on Brittania had deteriorated since last year but we still had a great cruise.

Whether you like the buffet or not I think it's safe to say the offerings are not what they once were. I use it at lunchtimes and have salads but on Arcadia the selection was limited, gone are the days when there were trays of prawns or nice cold chicken. As for the evening (where there are always tables to choose from which are laid out for dinner) I would have to be quite literally starving to eat it.

It's called keeping the prices down [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just back from 12 nights on the Ventura. As active people and healthy eaters we found that fine dining every day is plain not good for you and we found going to the buffet a good place to get that essential extra veg/fibre etc that is often missing in the so called fine dining.We normally prefer bistro type eating anyway. So we split it up about fifty fifty. We were able to build ourselves some fine fresh salads with plenty of good options to go with it. That said the Buffet is a competitive place.! From claiming your table to filling your plate. Entry is at both ends and it a bottle jam in the middle. There were others like us looking for a change,but I have to say there is a mighty high number of very over weight people who use the buffet for all meals as they are in a "all you can eat " place. Many of these folk never ventured ashore and remained on deck 15 (Lido) to lounge or sunbathe.They were close to the burger/pizza, grab a bag,buffet and starboard side smoking area. They never interfered with other passengers and seemed to be having a great time. Future burdens to the NHS. A cruise is the last thing they should be doing. Palma .Ship docks about three miles from start of main town area.Interesting visits to Central and Olivier markets plus back street of old quarter. We walked 12/14 miles that day .Had a cracking buffet pizza when we got back! La Spezia Walked 20 mins to rail station,boarded train to the Cinque Terre (five villages) 13 euros PP World Heritage area had a great day; coffee and ice cream along the way. Marseille Off ship walked 250 m to free port shuttle. Boarded Petite train for 7 euros pp. A 40 minute tour of town and maritime area and up to Notre Dame Note... Ship tour price for this little outing £88.00 for the two of us. Lots of armed guards around the city. Ajaccio We strolled around .Napoleans birthplace was rather ordinary.We did not go in. Found some interesting back streets.Back to the Ship early. Gibraltar A Pando fuel stop. Was asked by a deck 15 person to bring back some fags. Waved him off! Cabin good. Service good. Entertainment (for us) not good. Headliners screaming out the same routines as they did on our last P&O cruise three years ago. Boarding and leaving ship, very slick. Small niggles ........The Buffet arrangements .......Maybe a lift exclusively for our disabled friends ...to help them and us. Constant approaches from the photographic squad.........Same for the pay extra dining. .....and Spa Will we cruise again? Not for a while.We have done four now and will be doing other adventures for a bit.

We only used the buffet "the canteen" about twice per cruise but much prefer to be served in the main dining room. I go on holiday to be waited on and not rushing around from place to place looking at the various food on offer and usually is no better than I cook at home. My husband cannot ever find anything, so usually comes back with just a plate of chips!. We do usually go to the buffet early on the last morning for breakfast as there is no time restrictions.

I would agree that not everyone likes a large served meal at mealtimes. Whilst we found the buffet on Ventura dire the Britannia is a different story. I like a light breakfast making up my own granola and a light soup for lunch then I can enjoy a three course meal at dinner. There are too many people eating far too much and we have all seen them.

I would agree that not everyone likes a large served meal at mealtimes. Whilst we found the buffet on Ventura dire the Britannia is a different story. I like a light breakfast making up my own granola and a light soup for lunch then I can enjoy a three course meal at dinner. There are too many people eating far too much and we have all seen them.

I have been known to fill my plate as the food looks better under the light but invariably it doesn't look the same when i get back to our table and i often leave a lot because quality wasn't great especially on Ventura which we have been on 4 times.

We cruise with RCCL and P&O.

We are not fans of the buffet but use it for convenience as and when required. I do think the choice has dropped off over the last couple of years. I have also seen lots of waste, especially if you go in when they changing over from breakfast to lunch, lunch to afternoon tea, etc.

I'm not exactly enjoying the food experience on Britannia. The buffet food is, as others have said, of poor quality and usually lukewarm and the venue is crowded at peak times. But I don't choose to eat with strangers, not because I'm unfriendly at all, just shy. Even the tables for two in the MDR are close together - and difficult to obtain anyway without a long wait in the evening unless we dine early at 6pm. So we're paying for speciality restaurants most nights. I don't blame Pando - the included food is value for money and choices are there; I wish a better seating arrangement was too!

Edited by lolabarola
mistake

I just misread the title of this thread as

"Buffet now aimed primarily at folk who don't Like food"

Which made me do a double take :)

We always avoid the buffet except for "emergencies". I was last on Azura in November and the buffet was fine (on the few occassions we used it).

We enjoyed the Aurora buffet at the times we used it at Christmas. The main dining menus were at times rather 'samey' for the 24 night cruise. so we went to some of the theme buffets for a change of food (rice and pasta were non existent in the main dining room). The Indian buffets were amazing and extremely popular. Even on those nights with huge queues, the queues moved rapidly. No eating off trays, we took our plates off the tray as did most people!!! Hygiene was fine, hardly saw anyone do anything I wouldn't. Didn't hear about any Noro on board. We'd use the buffets again (but not every night, and prob not on formal nights)

I'm hoping it was just an Arcadia issue and the buffet on Britannia in October will be as it should be. I like the flexibility of the buffet and tire of formal dining every night. I know there is a greater risk regarding hygiene but we try to get there early.

It was not just on the Arcadia. We were on the Ventura in February, and out of 10 cruises we have done (with other cruise companies), that was probably the worst buffet we have ever had! Their buffet reminded us of buffets in 3-starts Spanish hotels, you know, the ones where food were cooked in loads and there was no signs of "pride" nor "passion" from the chef in his cuisine.

It was not just one or two items that was mediocre or below standard, but a host of them. It was not just for one or two days, but throughout most of the cruise. Imagine meringue so hard it wouldn't t break even when we knocked it on the table - then tried to "jab" it with a knife, it still wouldn't break. Think soup that lacks tastes, and it was barely hot. Think custard that was so watery and lack creaminess. Think Singapore fried noodles that did not taste like its namesake. So much of the food tasted "samey" - some dishes seemed similar from the previous days but they just add an extra item and changed its name. As for their post-dinner buffet, don't be surprised to see leftovers from dinner! The fish and chips had so much better and so little fish, a lady passenger had to go back for more helpings to get enough fish to eat! And the problems went on and on.

There was no point reporting to management. On the second day, we reported to the Food and Beverage manager. He pretended to write down those complaints in his little note book, but nothing seems to be done by him. Those terrible items of food we complained to him seemed to continue being served several days after that.

We found that even in the MDR, the standard of cuisine was very inconsistent. Some dishes were quite nice, and then, so many others were really very poor (think "dry" tasting meat). The "joke" was their "Signature Dessert", the Eight Layered Molten Chocolate cake - it only has 2 layers, not 8 as claimed on their menu. The waiters seemed to know it so well, they just laughed when we told them about it and they indicated they knew it. One even indicated he should have "warned" us before we ordered it. Probably so many passengers have complained about that to them in the past.

And for Room Service, you would probably find that about half of all the items in the menu were either not available on that ship (ie they were on the Oriana, and if they were on the Oriana, they were not on your ship), or you would have to pay a supplement. There were relatively few items to choose from which were complimentary.

On our cruise, the quality of the food, or rather, the lack of it, seemed to be one of the most popular discussions amongst passengers on board.

We think that instead of spending so much on their marketing budget getting stars like Rob Brydon doing their TV adverts, they should instead spend more in improving the quality of the food.

We would think twice, maybe three times, before deciding to go with P&O in future. Until we hear better reviews about the standard of their catering, we would be wary travelling with them again. It was no fun spending thousands of £££'s and to be served poor food .

Edited by Cahpek

It was not just on the Arcadia. We were on the Ventura in February, and out of 10 cruises we have done (with other cruise companies), that was probably the worst buffet we have ever had! Their buffet reminded us of buffets in 3-starts Spanish hotels, you know, the ones where food were cooked in loads and there was no signs of "pride" nor "passion" from the chef in his cuisine.

It was not just one or two items that was mediocre or below standard, but a host of them. It was not just for one or two days, but throughout most of the cruise. Imagine meringue so hard it wouldn't t break even when we knocked it on the table - then tried to "jab" it with a knife, it still wouldn't break. Think soup that lacks tastes, and it was barely hot. Think custard that was so watery and lack creaminess. Think Singapore fried noodles that did not taste like its namesake. So much of the food tasted "samey" - some dishes seemed similar from the previous days but they just add an extra item and changed its name. As for their post-dinner buffet, don't be surprised to see leftovers from dinner! The fish and chips had so much better and so little fish, a lady passenger had to go back for more helpings to get enough fish to eat! And the problems went on and on.

There was no point reporting to management. On the second day, we reported to the Food and Beverage manager. He pretended to write down those complaints in his little note book, but nothing seems to be done by him. Those terrible items of food we complained to him seemed to continue being served several days after that.

We found that even in the MDR, the standard of cuisine was very inconsistent. Some dishes were quite nice, and then, so many others were really very poor (think "dry" tasting meat). The "joke" was their "Signature Dessert", the Eight Layered Molten Chocolate cake - it only has 2 layers, not 8 as claimed on their menu. The waiters seemed to know it so well, they just laughed when we told them about it and they indicated they knew it. One even indicated he should have "warned" us before we ordered it. Probably so many passengers have complained about that to them in the past.

And for Room Service, you would probably find that about half of all the items in the menu were either not available on that ship (ie they were on the Oriana, and if they were on the Oriana, they were not on your ship), or you would have to pay a supplement. There were relatively few items to choose from which were complimentary.

On our cruise, the quality of the food, or rather, the lack of it, seemed to be one of the most popular discussions amongst passengers on board.

We think that instead of spending so much on their marketing budget getting stars like Rob Brydon doing their TV adverts, they should instead spend more in improving the quality of the food.

We would think twice, maybe three times, before deciding to go with P&O in future. Until we hear better reviews about the standard of their catering, we would be wary travelling with them again. It was no fun spending thousands of £££'s and to be served poor food .

We have been on the last 2 four night new years cruise on Ventura and i agree with your observations especially the lunchtime buffet which was very poor.

43 cruises and counting.

I've just returned from the Ventura and agree that the buffet is very hit and miss. We had our evening meals in the MDR each night and there were certainly no complaints there but had breakfast and the odd lunch at the buffet. Breakfast was OK; basically typical English breakfast where you could help yourself to as much as you wanted - and people definitely did! Our main issue here was the lack of seating areas and people who pushed and shoved their way to the food as if it were their last meal on Earth. We had a couple of lunches there as well which were so-so. We much preferred the afternoon tea that was brought out later.

I've just returned from the Ventura and agree that the buffet is very hit and miss. We had our evening meals in the MDR each night and there were certainly no complaints there but had breakfast and the odd lunch at the buffet. Breakfast was OK; basically typical English breakfast where you could help yourself to as much as you wanted - and people definitely did! Our main issue here was the lack of seating areas and people who pushed and shoved their way to the food as if it were their last meal on Earth. We had a couple of lunches there as well which were so-so. We much preferred the afternoon tea that was brought out later.

I think they should play relaxing classical music in an effort to slow down the stampede [emoji4]

Which of the staff who benefit from the service charge do you think were responsible then, and so needed to be "punished"?

They are all part of the same team be it in the restaurant , bars or looking after your room . If when I was working and my lads weren't performing well , it was me that took the flak from the customer . Then i would give my lads a bollocking. If they aren't doing their job properly on the ship someone should be doing the same .

I'm on the Ventura in June and have never held back on the service charge before and even tipped those that have been helpful to my wife and myself . So when I'm on board next cruise I will be taking the service charge off and will be tipping who I feel has deserved it.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Forums mobile app

I think they should play relaxing classical music in an effort to slow down the stampede [emoji4]

On Oceana last August they played some pretty grim music over breakfast .......... 'Abide with Me' and 'The Last Post'!!! Only with a British cruise line ........

On Oceana last August they played some pretty grim music over breakfast .......... 'Abide with Me' and 'The Last Post'!!! Only with a British cruise line ........

Lol well our good cruising friends often tell the story about dining in the restaurant on a P&O ship when the emergency signal sounded - the music at the time was the theme to titanic [emoji849]

So if the poor food doesn't chase you away bring on the grim music lol.

BTW i like that music but i like most music and also the great British sailaway from the last port.

43 cruises and counting.