Signature drinks package - discriminate against the teetotaller?

Cahpek

To correct the drinks per day thing - The National Institutes for Health say it's more than 5 for men and more than 4 for women. You'd think that the NIH would take body weight into account, but they do not.

They also say that it's in one session or one sitting, not per day. They use per day when referring to binge drinking X days per week or month.

If you need the link, let me know and I'll post it.

Right - it is more than five, not four, drinks per day. But doing it in one sitting (two hours) is not referred to as simply heavy drinking - but binge drinking.

The point remains: consuming the seven or eight drinks per day for a week necessary to make the package economically effective is heavy drinking - and an activity not exactly matching the interests of a teetotaler.

Right - it is more than five, not four, drinks per day. But doing it in one sitting (two hours) is not referred to as simply heavy drinking - but binge drinking.

The point remains: consuming the seven or eight drinks per day for a week necessary to make the package economically effective is heavy drinking - and an activity not exactly matching the interests of a teetotaler.

Well if we're going to go after the drinkers, let's not exclude the eaters. 2000-2500 calories is the recommended daily intake for adult males. I would suspect many on a cruise ingest that in one meal. Throw in a week or longer and you have another unhealthy individual.

Dan

Not necessarily. My physical activity increases significantly on a cruise, dramatically so on port days. Compare a cruise to a desk job and watching TV at night. I only gained one or pounds on our last cruise, and that was probably muscle mass. We use stairs and don't eat much between meals while cruising.

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but 7+ alcoholic drinks per day for a week or more is a lot of drinking.

igraf

Well if we're going to go after the drinkers, let's not exclude the eaters. 2000-2500 calories is the recommended daily intake for adult males. I would suspect many on a cruise ingest that in one meal. Throw in a week or longer and you have another unhealthy individual.

Dan

Not necessarily. My physical activity increases significantly on a cruise, dramatically so on port days. Compare a cruise to a desk job and watching TV at night. I only gained one or pounds on our last cruise, and that was probably muscle mass. We use stairs and don't eat much between meals while cruising.

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but 7+ alcoholic drinks per day for a week or more is a lot of drinking.

igraf

Same can be said for those that eat those 7+ meals and snacks on a ship for 7 days or more.

And good for you that you must do some serious training on a cruise because according to Google:

"Based on all of this, here's how fast you can expect to build muscle on average: Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month). Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month)."

Easy fix for next time, cruise on a line that doesn't expect their guests to be criminals.

I've cruised on several lines & have read the boards on several more & on all of them, you read about removing tips, smuggling booze, and other activities. I've reports on being summoned to the "naughty room." I've seen the scanners looking for contraband that guests try to bring back on the ship.

Just because HAL (& from my recollection at least 2 other lines) has rules regarding their promotion, that does not mean they expect their guests to be criminals.

They made a business decision, plain & simple.

I've cruised on several lines & have read the boards on several more & on all of them, you read about removing tips, smuggling booze, and other activities. I've reports on being summoned to the "naughty room." I've seen the scanners looking for contraband that guests try to bring back on the ship.

Just because HAL (& from my recollection at least 2 other lines) has rules regarding their promotion, that does not mean they expect their guests to be criminals.

They made a business decision, plain & simple.

I agree. You need to set the rules for any promotion and then ENFORCE THEM!. Hal has a bad habit of setting rules and then not enforcing them, which leads to bad feelings from those who abide by them.

Most cruisers do follow the rules/guidelines set by the cruiseline. However, it only takes a few who do not to spoil the deal for everyone. I have seen this many times onboard and on land, where a good deal was eliminated due to folks taking advantage.

I agree. You need to set the rules for any promotion and then ENFORCE THEM!. Hal has a bad habit of setting rules and then not enforcing them, which leads to bad feelings from those who abide by them. Most cruisers do follow the rules/guidelines set by the cruiseline. However, it only takes a few who do not to spoil the deal for everyone. I have seen this many times onboard and on land, where a good deal was eliminated due to folks taking advantage.
And that's throughout the hospitality industry. Many offerings are made based on a presumption that patrons will abide by the terms and conditions voluntarily and not deliberately work to exploit laxity of enforcement in a conscious effort to violate the terms and conditions.

To some extent that's why we see changes - not just good deals being "eliminated due to folks taking advantage" but because service providers know that over time exploits are developed and shared on the Internet, making it incumbent on the service provider to regularly change their offerings so that whatever exploits develop have limited longevity.

You are right in that would qualify as gluttony. Why would anyone call it anything else? Likewise with heavy drinking. It is what it is.

igraf

Same can be said for those that eat those 7+ meals and snacks on a ship for 7 days or more.

"

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven ... every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor". (Pardon the sexist language. The maxim was written a while ago.)

You are right in that would qualify as gluttony. Why would anyone call it anything else? Likewise with heavy drinking. It is what it is.

igraf

What you call "heavy drinking," I call "entry level" or "under achieving." It's a fact that teetotalers are lower revenue passengers. (Seriously.)

If the non drinking passenger contingent wants to be taken seriously, it needs to book some high profit excursions.