Signature drinks package - discriminate against the teetotaller?

Cahpek

We would like to ask something about the Signature Beverage Package.

I am a teetotaller but my partner likes his wine. He would like to purchase the Signature Beverage Package but the travel agent we visited told us that as we are traveller together in the same cabin, both of us would have to buy the package. Is that true?

It would seem a waste of money if I do not drink alcohol and have to buy that beverage package. However, if I do not purchase it, my travelling partner cannot buy it as well.

Surely, Holland America can appreciate that there are times when someone who is teetotal , travel with another who is not teetotal.

Has anyone else who have cruised with HAL experienced such a "predicament"? And if you have, perhaps you might have some suggestion how to get around that ? Thank you.

I wouldn't bother trying to get around this if all your other wants is a few glasses of wine. You should calculate how many glasses he would have to drink to break even? Plus, the wines available on the package aren't worth drinking.

We had this package on our last cruise as a part of the Explore Four promo. In the future, we will book without the promo and the beverage package.

I wouldn't even bother with the package. Pay as you go is the best way if only one person is drinking. Unfortunately, all cruise lines enforce the "everybody in" policy when it comes to these packages. They do it to reduce the sharing of the package with those who did not purchase one. I'm sure you'll find that it will cost less in the end, if your partner only drinks wine and enjoys a nice quality.

The wines offered via the Signature Beverage Package are just house wines and JMO -- not very good.

Your partner would have to drink several glasses of wine a day to make the package worth while.

We like to drink Grey Goose on the rocks which costs $7.95. We also were given the drink package through the Explore4 promo. I kept track of how many drinks we had each day. Since we don't drink a lot, definitely would never buy the package on our own.

Your partner would be better off ordering glasses of better wines.

If your partner likes very good wines, you might consider bringing a few bottles on board. You'll have to pay $18 corkage on the bottles more than two but you'll save money in the long run. A $10 bottle will be marked up to close to $50 on board.

Also - consider the wine packages that HAL offers - Admiral and Navigator. Saves a bit of money, especially if you are a 3-5 Star.

Search on this board for a wine list - I sure someone has posted it.

Only a fairly heavy drinker, who is not overly selective about quality, will do much better buying a package than by buying individual drinks. An unselective heavy drinker does not seem like the ideal traveling companion for a teetotaler.

You have to undertstand the cruise lines' reluctance to sell a package to just one of two traveling together.

Only a fairly heavy drinker, who is not overly selective about quality, will do much better buying a package than by buying individual drinks. An unselective heavy drinker does not seem like the ideal traveling companion for a teetotaler.

You have to undertstand the cruise lines' reluctance to sell a package to just one of two traveling together.

Ooh, that's a bit judgmental,don't you think? Not everyone who buys the package goes on a drinking binge. You don't have to be "a heavy drinker who is not overly selective about quality" to use the beverage package. Many cocktails and liquors are available for under $8. The package includes soft drinks, bottled water, and specialty coffees in addition to the alcohol. I don't drink enough of any of that to make the package worth it to me, but some posters have reported coming out ahead because of the variety of pay-to-drink beverages they like.

However, if OP's partner likes wine, the package is not a good idea because the wines by the glass for under $8 are not very good. For their situation, it's better to pay as they go.

RCI does NOT require both passengers in the same cabin to buy a package.

Nor do Princess or Celebrity.

I was playing around with my cruise planner the other day for my December Eurodam cruise and was able to purchase the Elite Signature beverage package for myself only and not for my traveling companion. Maybe it's a website glitch, or maybe a quiet policy change. Either way I did it 🤓

The Signature Beverage Package does not work for us. I seldom drink so happy hour is all I need. My DH does not like the cheap wines on the SBP so he purchases a wine package. We are 4* so we get a nice discount. Otherwise you can bring two bottles per stateroom, and more if you pay the fee. If you like wine you will probably be disappointed with the SBP choices.

I wouldn't even bother with the package. Pay as you go is the best way if only one person is drinking. Unfortunately, all cruise lines enforce the "everybody in" policy when it comes to these packages. They do it to reduce the sharing of the package with those who did not purchase one. I'm sure you'll find that it will cost less in the end, if your partner only drinks wine and enjoys a nice quality.

No they don't. Lots of lines don't have that policy. Celebrity is one of them

Otherwise you can bring two bottles per stateroom, ....

No, you can bring one bottle per adult (age 21 or over). That is not the same thing as two bottles per stateroom.

Ooh, that's a bit judgmental,don't you think? Not everyone who buys the package goes on a drinking binge. You don't have to be "a heavy drinker who is not overly selective about quality" to use the beverage package. Many cocktails and liquors are available for under $8. The package includes soft drinks, bottled water, and specialty coffees in addition to the alcohol. I don't drink enough of any of that to make the package worth it to me, but some posters have reported coming out ahead because of the variety of pay-to-drink beverages they like.

However, if OP's partner likes wine, the package is not a good idea because the wines by the glass for under $8 are not very good. For their situation, it's better to pay as they go.

A man who regularly has more than four drinks a day is generally referred to as a "heavy drinker". Calling him that is not "judgemental" - it is simply a statement of fact. For the drinks package to make economic sense, you should average at least seven or so $8 drinks a day -- that, my friend perfectly fits the description of being a heavy drinker. I had only suggested that a heavy drinker might not be the ideal traveling companion of a teetotaler.

A man who regularly has more than four drinks a day is generally referred to as a "heavy drinker". Calling him that is not "judgemental" - it is simply a statement of fact. For the drinks package to make economic sense, you should average at least seven or so $8 drinks a day -- that, my friend perfectly fits the description of being a heavy drinker. I had only suggested that a heavy drinker might not be the ideal traveling companion of a teetotaler.

By that definition I am a heavy drinker ...sshhh don't tell my teetotal husband :D

This happens to be a HAL thread -- what happens on RCI - or at an AI resort, or in your father-in-law's man cave, for that matter - is not relevant.

It's very relevant when someone makes a blanket statement that all lines make both parties buy the package.

Edited by Cruise Junky

A man who regularly has more than four drinks a day is generally referred to as a "heavy drinker".
Four drinks a day, every day, perhaps. However, aren't we talking about vacation?

This is the danger with referring to anyone by a label. If you want to refer to drinking four drinks in a day as "heavy drinking" that changes the complexion of the comment. Yes, thank you very much, I do enjoy some heavy drinking while I'm on vacation.

Well, maybe not. We'll probably go through one bottle per cruise; that's 22 shots, so probably two per day for me and one per day for my spouse. So "moderate drinking". That still doesn't make me a moderate drinker. I simply don't have the discipline to keep it up for more than a week.

To correct the drinks per day thing - The National Institutes for Health say it's more than 5 for men and more than 4 for women. You'd think that the NIH would take body weight into account, but they do not.

They also say that it's in one session or one sitting, not per day. They use per day when referring to binge drinking X days per week or month.

If you need the link, let me know and I'll post it.

Celebrity does not. One person in the cabin can purchase the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For wines only, I wouldn't bother.

I don't classify myself as a heavy drinker, but I drink my fair share while on a cruise - no driving to worry about. I also drink coffee beverages, soda & bottled water. (& probably a nada-colada or 2 as well.)

I've decided that with Explore 4, I'm game, I doubt that I would purchase the SBP by itself.