Dreaded question every time I plan a cruise

bnorris10

I know what you mean. Most of my coworkers make around the same amount of money as I do or more. They ask me how I can cruise all the time, blah,blah. I say you make the same money as me, what do we do differently? I don't go out to movies, I don't have car payments, we go out to eat occasionally. I book at least a year out. I have money automatically withdrawn from my check. I start searching for the air and hotels as soon as they come online and change often until just before it's time to vacation. I tell them if they want to book, I can help them do the same. They always give me the same answer, I will. and don't.

I book super early. $50 a paycheck. You don't even notice the money is gone. I just don't eat out as much as I used to. People judge me too. I've gotten to the point where I don't like to tell people when I'm on vacation. No one else vacations like I do.

We never get asked that question. Whenever we say we are either going on a cruise or have just came back, we usually hear that they have always wanted to go on a cruise but their spouse thinks they wouldn't have a good time or would get sea sick or would be bored. We just smile.

I totally agree! I get asked at work all the time, meanwhile they are ordering out for lunch every day, constantly at the vending machine all day. I bring my lunch every day and stay away from the vending machine. (Ive also been on a diet since February) so not only have I lost weight, I save a ton of money. If they saved that 25-35 dollars they spend a week on lunch, they would be cruising in no time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

It seems like a question that people as simply to engage you in conversation abpit something you clearly like to do. Don't take it so hard enlighten them and maybe they will someday join in the fun.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

That is exactly what it is. And people either enjoy being annoyed, or don't understand conversation starters. Perhaps they just want some extra conflict in their life.

I can truly feel your frustration. We use all the tricks we can; in if we are going carnival we buy the 100 giftcards for 90. We do FCC. We look for price drops after booking.

Just keep cruising, enjoy yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What is FCC?

We have started cruising quite frequently and before that we would go to Disney World 2-3 times per year. I get that kind of question all the time.

My answer - Travel is my priority.

And then I usually try to turn it around and ask about their Coach or Michael Kors purse or new shoes, or whatever other expensive thing they have recently talked about.

If people ask me how I do it (financially), I'm more than happy to tell them what I don't do and how I put that money towards my vacations. More often than not though, people seem to expect some kind of answer like, "I secretly won the lottery" or "other people pay for me to go".

I also have extended family members that believe that because I go on vacation so frequently, I can afford to give them large amounts of money to help with their bills. They don't understand why if I have money for what they consider a luxury, that I can't help out with their necessities. Of course, most of them do this while holding their iphone and taking a drag on a cigarette - 2 things I consider luxuries. :evilsmile:

What is FCC?

as previously stated future cruise credit. When you book a future cruise when you are currently on a cruise you get on board credit for the future cruise. Also you don't actually have to book the future cruise just give a deposit for a future cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I hear ya there OP !! I get the "omg your so lucky !!" umm luck has nothing to do with it !! We go on vacation once a year and start saving up for the next vacation right after. There is no luck involved we just budget well.

I went on a cruise in October 2016 ... and February 2017... will be on one April 2017 ... and September 2017 ... and January 2018 ... and August 2018 (and maybe one in between, or a quick trip to Vegas).

I am NOT retired ... I am 45. I work hard for my money. I get 5 weeks vacation per year from my job. I DON'T have kids, I DON'T have Pets, I DON'T drink (Sober since 8/5/08) AND I quit smoking. I also use every "trick" in the book (book early, own CCL stock, book while onboard, Buy CCL gift cards 10% off, Have a TA) to get the best deal also typically start each cruise with at least $300 OBC so my bill is $0 at the end)

I tell people I'd be happy to help them do it, they are not interested. Also for those that think it's "Super expensive" to go on a cruise, I say:

"It's the best value in travel. An average cruise will cost you about $90-$100 per day per person ... and that includes food and entertainment. Once they hear the cost broken down that way, they are like "Oh, it's cheaper than I thought!"

I got asked how I afforded the cruises and my new reply is "I'm a drug dealer but don't tell anyone" lol

Might use this one the next time someone from church asks me

I get all kinds of snide and rude remarks from even close family.

Some of the rudest remarks I have heard were from family - Actually had someone tell me yah we were all talking and think you hit the lottery

We go on 2 Cruises a year now and once we are fully Retired we'll go on 4-5 a year, like many here we don't waste money and always worked hard and really believed in 401Ks for decades at our jobs. We went 13 years one time without ever taking a Vacation. Cruising is just like Exercising, Eating Your Vegetables, Starting your Own Business, Running a Marathon, Watching Public TV, Learning a Language or going to the Top of The Eiffel Tower, 92% Dream about it and Talk about it and 8% do it.

I also have extended family members that believe that because I go on vacation so frequently, I can afford to give them large amounts of money to help with their bills. They don't understand why if I have money for what they consider a luxury, that I can't help out with their necessities. Of course, most of them do this while holding their iphone and taking a drag on a cigarette - 2 things I consider luxuries. :evilsmile:

Yah I get that all the time that I should be helping them out yet like you said they smoke and drink etc

I hear ya there OP !! I get the "omg your so lucky !!" umm luck has nothing to do with it !! We go on vacation once a year and start saving up for the next vacation right after. There is no luck involved we just budget well.

Yup save and budget - and sometimes i just splurge and go for the hell of it

Living in the New York City area we've taken visiting family or friends out to dinner and to a Broadway Show and then we realized that every 2 times we do that we pretty much have the price of a 7 Day Cruise for both of us. Cruises are more fun, the food and entertainment are just as good and we don't have to sit in our car in Saturday night NY traffic and listen to someone tell us that the Broadway Show, Restaurant and Drinks were.......OK.

I think cruising is one of the most affordable vacations! We take our kids and actually get that same question on cruises: How can you cruise with a family of 5? I guess it depends on what your priorities are. Some like to smoke (what does THAT cost you?) Some like to drink a lot (don't judge me, LOL). Some like to buy designer stuff and spend all their money that way. Some like to have expensive cars. We like to cruise. Its all about making choices in life.

We follow the Dave Ramsey plan. No debt, our house is only 20% of our monthly income, and we live relatively frugally. And unlike close friends and a lot of my siblings, we aren't going out every weekend and always buying new clothes/shoes/etc. As a result, we have money to cruise.

I also hate telling people when we are cruising again because they always have some reply about cruising so much.

I am so tired of friends/family or even just random people whom always feel the need to say or ask "How can you cruise so much?"

It's gotten to the point I don't even like telling people I am going on a cruise because they are like of course you are, you cruise all the time, how can you afford that, take me with you blah blah

I don't tell people about my travel plans anymore. Occasionally a friend will ask and I am happy to share, but I never bring it up. I just got tired of feeling like I had to defend myself for having a good life.

I can understand wanting to educate people about cruising, or budgeting, or whatever their ignorance or misunderstanding might be... but frankly, that just doesn't interest me. I'd rather be planning and thinking about my next adventure. :D

What's funny is cruising really isn't anymore expensive than a week at the beach at spring break. My wife and I recently just sailed Elation, and after comparing to a beach condo for a week the cost was really close. Plus you get the bonus of all the food etc.... we don't drink, so we can very easily go on a cruise and not spend an extra dime if we wanted. Cruising is very affordable, but you have to be willing to do the work to find the best deals.

Speaking as someone who may be guilty of saying the same thing to someone about cruising, it's just envy. I would love to cruise more if I could get the time off work and hope my time is coming someday. BTW my biggest obstacle to cruising is airline flight prices. If I lived within easy driving distance to a good port I would probably be able to squeeze more than one in a year.

My husband is the kind that feels guilty for taking off work. I know his problem not mine. I book a cruise every 2 years and inform him when and where he is going. This way he has to go. It works out good because this time we booked 747 days in advance. Prices are much cheaper and quality cabins are available. Our cruise is paid off at the 1 year point. Our rental car is paid at the 1 year point.Our hotel is paid for night before cruise. All I have to do is pay for gas, food , Cardinal spring training tickets and Spring training hotel although reservations are already made. I have a little under a year to save for that. This works for us.We are not rich just pay as we go.