Koningsdam March 12-April 2

CruiserBruce

Finally can see my way out of the catch up list to write my comments on our KDAM cruise, 21 day Collectors Cruise. Background on us- this was our 10th cruise on HAL (19th overall), always in suites. We are 4 star Mariners, and have 162 days on HAL.

We really liked KDAM. The lay out seems very user friendly. The additional entertainment venues are a great addition. The World Stage (the main show lounge) is a great technological advancement- makes for some very interesting new possibilities for shows. In our 21 day cruise the standard singers and dancers were only a small part of the events performed in the World Stage. One show- Billboard Hits Countdown (not related to the Billboard lounge) was very good- one of the best we have seen on HAL. The BBC Frozen World show, with live music, was excellent. Several comedians, magicians and a couple of more "unique" performers filled out the schedule. One performer went too far in a couple of jokes. Doubt he will be invited back.

The Billboard Lounge was nice. They do a Beatles Tribute that drew hundreds of people over the capacity. Their piano playing was very good. Singing voices...not great.

This was our 5th cruise with the BB King Group, and these performers were head and shoulders above any of the other groups. Great male and female lead singers, very tight musicians. I went probably 14 or 15 of our nights on board.

The dining venues are all interesting. Suite pax are offered complementary dinner in the Culinary Arts Center the first night on board. Excellent amenity. Great presentation. The chefs are great communicators and the food is tasty. A must do.

We ate in the Pinnacle one night. As always, excellent. The Dive In and the Pizzeria/Deli were VERY busy and very good. This is our first time in the new Lido Market layout- we liked the layout and choices. The salad bar was very popular in our group. The dinner menu in the Lido Market was a surprise- they actually advertised crab and lobster dinners in the Lido Market, when neither was on the menu in the MDR. The MDR seemed to have more choices than in the past- commonly 6 mains...occasionally 7 or 8. HAL continues to do beef and fish well- those are my usual choices.

Because they are now selling gelato in the Lido Pool area, the ice cream choices in the Lido Market were a bit slim. Usually just vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. A little disappointing. And for those who are frequently asking, they use ground coffee beans in the Lido, not syrup.

As others have said, the Retreat Cabanas are smaller on KDAM. The Family Cabanas are a lot smaller on KDAM. As the furniture missing from the standard cabanas- a table and two chairs- is replaced by about 8 or 10 tables with chairs in the Retreat area. IMHO, a fair replacement.

FYI, every other cabana wall is cloth, so it can be removed to create a bigger cabana. You just have to hope, if you have two adjoining cabanas, as we did, that the wall in between is a removable one.

We had several people book a standard cabana, and then show up with 4 or 5 people, particularly on the second half of out B2B. In some cases the additional people were children, including a 2 year old, who was not interested in staying in a cabana, nor any concept of a quiet "retreat" area. In both cases, officers were called to guide people to the better choices.

The staff overall were the usually very happy, hard working, wonderful HAL employees. Corene and Nikki in the Neptune Lounge were two of the best HAL employees we have ever sailed with. Others, like our Retreat Cabana staff, also represent HAL very well. We had two issues with staff- one, our cabin stewards were less than diligent and focused. We were traveling with two of my wife's sisters who were in another suite with different cabin stewards. They were regularly getting things we were not seeing- invites, menus, etc., in timely manners. We on the other hand, didn't get menus at all sometimes, an invite to an event we wanted to go to arrived late in the morning, for an event that afternoon, while we were ashore. We didn't see it until 2 hours after the event happened. There were no laundry bags in our cabin, and no laundry forms. We asked twice, no delivery. We got them from the Neptune Lounge, and explained why we needed them. Then, a couple hours later, a laundry bag arrived, but no form.

The other major issue was the Beverage Manager. At HMC, we had a cabana with Butler Upgrade. On the first part of this B2B, DW's 2 sisters were there, and I can only say we consumed a pretty fair amount of champagne in the cabana. When we submitted our cabana food requests for the HMC stop on the second half of the B2B, again with Butler upgrade (but without the 2 sisters-in-law), the shore excursion desk informed us that champagne was not included in the "unlimited beverage package" (as described in the shore excursions brochure), only beer and wine. After several conversations with the HMC cabana supervisor (the Sal de Mer manager), and a couple or other people, the Beverage Manager relented because we had received champagne the first stop at HMC, but it should not be expected in the future. I am waiting for communication from Seattle on this.

Oddly enough, these where our 7 and 8th cabanas (in 10 visits) with Butler upgrade, and every single one had provided champagne. As one person put it...sparkling wine is a wine. What is the issue?

HMC was, as always, awesome. First stop was a little cool, but not a problem. Second stop was probably as warm as we have ever seen it there. And we shared with N. Amsterdam, so it was crowded.The clamshells sold out a ways in advance.

Overall a B+/A- rated cruise. But we definitely look forward to sailing KDAM in the future. It is a really nice ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your review, I have been reading some reviews that were not good, we are planning to sail on the KDAM in 2019 as part of a family cruise, I want to be sure she is what we're looking for, after reading your review, I believe she is. Thank you again.

Thanks for the review. The comp dinner at the Culinary Center is a nice suite perk. We'll definitely look for the invite to that. I enjoyed your delicate phrasing of "officers were called to guide people to the better choices." Glad to hear they stepped up when there was a problem.

Good idea about the removable cabana wall. We don't bother with cabanas, but from what I've read here on CC, the larger ones are in demand, so this should help avoid disappointment for people looking for those.

Great review. We were on the Kdam in November and will return in January 2018. Most of what you have said is exactly what I would have said. DH is looking forward to the presentations in the Culinary Arts Centre again.

Edited by Dismomx5

Thank you for your review.

I am a little nervous to see how we find the Koningsdam in June, after reading the latest review on the main part of Cruise Critic. There particularly seem to be some mixed reviews about the MDR and the Lido. We shall just try and enjoy the bits we do like, and hopefully the beautiful Norwegian scenery.

It is interesting to read views of passengers who have sailed on the Kdam and loved it and others, like me, who won't choose to sail on her again.

For instance, the new World Stage. We found it to be very "cold" (not temperature wise) and it looked unfinished. High tech with a lot of potential, I guess, but we missed the traditional theater setting.

To be fair, we spend a lot of time in our Retreat Cabana -- a Family Retreat Cabana -- and we were extremely disappointed with the cut in size. The Family Cabana is advertised by HAL as having four loungers and there is no possible way that four loungers could fit inside -- with room for anyone to move! When you plan to spend time with your family in the cabana (just four of us), it is a rude awakening to find out that it is not possible. We did NOT find the placement of several tables and chairs in the common area to be an acceptable alternative to having the table and chairs in the cabana -- as we have had on the NA and Eurodam.

We DID like the Dutch Café -- we managed to visit it at least once a day (and my scales will back me up on this!) However, it wasn't enough to get us to come back -- the low ceilings, the smaller theater making three nightly shows necessary -- meaning that the first two are full and there is a sparse audience for the performers at most of the late night shows, the "angled" placement of the toilet in the bathroom, making it necessary for a tall person to sit rather side-saddle on the facility, etc. Instead, we look forward to our next two cruises on the Eurodam.

We ate in the Pinnacle one night. As always, excellent. The Dive In and the Pizzeria/Deli were VERY busy and very good. This is our first time in the new Lido Market layout- we liked the layout and choices. The salad bar was very popular in our group. The dinner menu in the Lido Market was a surprise- they actually advertised crab and lobster dinners in the Lido Market, when neither was on the menu in the MDR. The MDR seemed to have more choices than in the past- commonly 6 mains...occasionally 7 or 8. HAL continues to do beef and fish well- those are my usual choices.

Hi

Thanks for writing such an extensive review. We found it very helpful as we will be going on the Koningsdam for the first time in June.

We have a question. You mentioned that in the dinner menu in the Lido Market, they advertised crab and lobster dinners? Is there are supplementary charge for that, or are those items included as part of the buffet? We do realise HAL "loves" to add supplement charges to a lot of extra things. We asked because we know cruise lines like Oceania Cruises have very regular (almost every evening) lobsters in their buffets as part of their "standard" offerings, but if they have it in the buffet on Holland America as well without a supplementary charge, that will be a pleasant surprise! After all, HAL fares are generally so much lower than Oceania's.

Hi

Thanks for writing such an extensive review. We found it very helpful as we will be going on the Koningsdam for the first time in June.

We have a question. You mentioned that in the dinner menu in the Lido Market, they advertised crab and lobster dinners? Is there are supplementary charge for that, or are those items included as part of the buffet? We do realise HAL "loves" to add supplement charges to a lot of extra things. We asked because we know cruise lines like Oceania Cruises have very regular (almost every evening) lobsters in their buffets as part of their "standard" offerings, but if they have it in the buffet on Holland America as well without a supplementary charge, that will be a pleasant surprise! After all, HAL fares are generally so much lower than Oceania's.

No extra charge I noticed. They will advertise a "prime rib dinner" (first night of the cruise), a "steak dinner" and a "lobster" dinner on little signs on the tables and elsewhere around the ship.

We walked through the Lido Marketplace one lobster night, and sure enough they had lobsters. Seemed pretty popular- a good number of people with more than one lobster tail on their plate.

No extra charge I noticed. They will advertise a "prime rib dinner" (first night of the cruise), a "steak dinner" and a "lobster" dinner on little signs on the tables and elsewhere around the ship.

We walked through the Lido Marketplace one lobster night, and sure enough they had lobsters. Seemed pretty popular- a good number of people with more than one lobster tail on their plate.

Can I ask if the steaks were cooked to order in the Lido?

Our previous experience of hot food in the lido was that it sat around in metal containers, and was never actually hot.

Gosh, really? That sounds great. We are looking forward to that now.

After having such a disappointing experience (especially in the buffet) with P&O Ventura in Feb. (incredibly poor cooking standard with a host of dishes , lacking quality, taste and choice, etc, for a cruise), we are a bit unsure and feeling a bit "timid" on what kind of catering we can expect on any new cruise. With luck, it will be much better with HAL on the Koningsdam . At least, your review gives us hope!

Edited by Cahpek

On the subject about the Koningsdam, we were wondering if they offer "throw-away" slippers for passengers? Anyone who knows that please help. We are booked for a varandah cabin/stateroom.

It's just that some cruise companies offer them, and some don't. And if HAL does not offer them, we will just pack ours from previous other cruises to take along, but if they do, there is no point taking them.

Thanks in advance for any answers to our query.

On the subject about the Koningsdam, we were wondering if they offer "throw-away" slippers for passengers? Anyone who knows that please help. We are booked for a varandah cabin/stateroom.

It's just that some cruise companies offer them, and some don't. And if HAL does not offer them, we will just pack ours from previous other cruises to take along, but if they do, there is no point taking them.

I believe slippers are only offered in the suites. We are currently on the Koningsdam and initially had a spa veranda, which did not include slippers. We were later moved to a vista suite and slippers were there the first night.

They were available in our SB suite. Can't speak for the rest of the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been in a Neptune suite, either mid-ship or aft? HAL's description is 465-855 sq ft including verandah, which is quite a range. We were in a SB corner aft suite on the Zuiderdam and found the room small but loved the huge two-sided verandah. We are looking for a larger room on the Koningsdam.

Thanks

Has anyone been in a Neptune suite, either mid-ship or aft? HAL's description is 465-855 sq ft including verandah, which is quite a range. We were in a SB corner aft suite on the Zuiderdam and found the room small but loved the huge two-sided verandah. We are looking for a larger room on the Koningsdam.

Thanks

As mentioned in this thread, we were in an SB. We have 10 cruises on HAL, all in Suites or PS.

The mid ship suites tend to run pretty identical. The aft suites are where the variations occur. In our case, we had family staying in deck 5 aft SB. It was probably 35% smaller than our Deck 7 aft SB. The Deck 5 balcony appeared to be the smallest of the aft suite balconies. Deck 4 was the largest, followed by ours on Deck 7.