Elite 10% discount and obc

antsp

If you think about it if they gave you the 10% discount on your OBC they would be giving you a discount twice. Personally I think it's too much to expect a 10% discount on my OBC - and I get the 10% discount now. I'm quite happy with how things are. On our last cruise we had so much OBC that our account at the end of the cruise amounted to less than £50! To expect to have 10% taken off the OBC would, I think, be just expecting too much. I'm sure others won't agree with me but that's my opinion.

The 10% discount you get as a Caribbean member of the Peninsular Club with P&O does not start until all your OBC has been used but if you book excursions or book speciality dining pre cruise it is taken off automatically before you pay.

If you think about it if they gave you the 10% discount on your OBC they would be giving you a discount twice. Personally I think it's too much to expect a 10% discount on my OBC - and I get the 10% discount now. I'm quite happy with how things are. On our last cruise we had so much OBC that our account at the end of the cruise amounted to less than £50! To expect to have 10% taken off the OBC would, I think, be just expecting too much. I'm sure others won't agree with me but that's my opinion.

I don't agree I'm afraid. I think it's sharp practice. The OBC is available to anyone, so not enabling loyal cruisers to get their Peninsular discount means that you get no discount at all. So getting it, if it were permitted, would be getting it once, not twice. As it stands, you have the choice of booking excursions, select dining etc in advance to get the discount, but risk not being able to use up all your OBC, or waiting until you are on board so that you can use your OBC, but then get no discount. Win, win for P&O. Rubbish for customers.

I don't agree I'm afraid - our OBC recently our spend all bar £40 - so our 10% discount (the only worthwhile benefit) got us about £4. I think all our spend should get 10% discount.

I am very very happy if, at the end of a cruise, I have not had any of my bill reduced by my 10% from my loyalty tier. That means I have had a vast amount of OBC. Much better to be drinking free booze than booze I have had to pay 90% for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am very very happy if, at the end of a cruise, I have not had any of my bill reduced by my 10% from my loyalty tier. That means I have had a vast amount of OBC. Much better to be drinking free booze than booze I have had to pay 90% for.

daiB. I enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from you. I also feel uncomfortable when others lambast you for being 'blinkered' in your unfailing support of P&O (even though your responses are always good value). But, on this issue, I'm afraid that even I would have to say that your spectacles are a little too rose tinted. I think that P&O offer a good product and do many things well. But preventing loyal passengers from deriving any discount until all OBC is used up is indefensible in my eyes.

daiB. I enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from you. I also feel uncomfortable when others lambast you for being 'blinkered' in your unfailing support of P&O (even though your responses are always good value). But, on this issue, I'm afraid that even I would have to say that your spectacles are a little too rose tinted. I think that P&O offer a good product and do many things well. But preventing loyal passengers from deriving any discount until all OBC is used up is indefensible in my eyes.

My comments were in this case, neutral. I am not making any comment about the rights and wrongs of the case. But if I had enough OCB for each cruise not to get the 10% I will be happy.

You may not be aware but some of the OBC we received for our 2019 cruise booked a couple of weeks ago appear to be linked in some way to loyalty. It was a sum of £50 pp That is clearly better than 10% discount.

Apart from the above comment I have no comment regarding this subject.

Interestingly I have not made any comment about P&O being better or otherwise compared to other cruise lines.

My comments were in this case, neutral. I am not making any comment about the rights and wrongs of the case. But if I had enough OCB for each cruise not to get the 10% I will be happy.

You may not be aware but some of the OBC we received for our 2019 cruise booked a couple of weeks ago appear to be linked in some way to loyalty. It was a sum of £50 pp That is clearly better than 10% discount.

Apart from the above comment I have no comment regarding this subject.

Interestingly I have not made any comment about P&O being better or otherwise compared to other cruise lines.

I wasn't aware of the extra OBC for higher loyalty tier passengers, only the past passenger discount on the headline price. That's a positive step. I too have had a negligible end of Cruise bill due to lots of OBC, but still felt a bit cheated that virtually none of my on board spend benefited from my supposed loyalty discount. Had I received the discount, rest assured I would have spent the additional OBC it would have generated. A few extra bottles of Champers never go amiss!

On-Board credit is as clear as early savers, select fares (i.e. not clear at all)

Our last years cruise was 14 nights which we got £70 each for all 5 of us (4 past cruisers and I new cruiser). No discount for the new cruiser for excursions booked via cruise personaliser.

This year we are going for a 7 day cruise and have £200 each for all 4 of us (3 of us plus 1 new cruiser). Discount given for the new cruiser for excursions booked via cruise personaliser. How this works I don't know.

We usually start the cruise with a £15 bottle of wine each night, but this time we can go straight onto the dearer bottles to use up the OBC!!

I definitely agree with Annie and go along with Dai's thinking too.

The way I look at it is this. OBC = 100% discount. Once you have that it matters not whether you have 5% or 10% discount, 10% of nothing is still nothing.

If I don't have a bill at the end of the cruise (or maybe just a small one) then I am more than pleased. I hope it will happen one day, but that will probably only be the case if I don't take my wife with me! :)

It's great that P&O commands such fierce customer loyalty, but I am quite surprised at how many people defend the fact that we are deprived of our hard earned loyalty discount until we have used up all our on board credit. As I have said, I think it's sharp practice.

The arguement put forward that OBC equals 100% discount doesn't hold water with me. That only works if your on board spend equals, or is less than, your OBC. I would like my OBC to go further, by the deduction of my loyalty discount from my on board spend, as is stated in the Peninsular benefits table. If this means that I get to the last day of the cruise and still have OBC left, rest assured it wouldn't go to waste. My wife and daughters would have no hesitation in using it up in the on board shops!

So for us lowly Mediterranean Tier pax, apart from the 8.5% discount on spending, what if any extra OBC do we get ? Nothing on P&O site re that.:halo:

We are also Mediterranean and have had lots of OBC. It comes with various cruise deals when booking select fare - you just have to look at what is on offer when you book.

We also get share benefit as my husband has some Carnival shares (I think more than 100 is still the requirement, but not sure). If you go on P&O or other criuise lines that are owned by the Carnival Corporation regularly it is well worth buying the shares. Carnival own Princess and Holland America among others. You can google details - the Carnival Corporation website has the details of share benefit. They announce it for a number of months ahead, but we have had the shares for a number of years and the future levels have always been announced before the existing share benefit offer finishes.

Regards the OP's opinion, I think it is perfectly reasonable not to allow discount on free OBC. It has always been the case and is well reported. Offers of OBC, like any other offers need to be considered for what they are worth to you before you book the cruise. Just like any other purchases in shops etc.

You cannot use OBC for excursions booked in advance. You have to pay these when you book but you do get your Peninsular discount.

Don't know about dining reservations but if you are just making a reservation and you pay on board, then you could use your OBC.

Brian

On several occasions, I have noticed that we receive enhanced OBC when we provide our loyalty numbers. Happy to take it. We always book our excursions before we go and we receive our loyalty discount for those offered by P&O. Plus my shareholder benefit. It soon mounts up. Once we're on board, we drink/dine our way through the OBC - free booze is never to be sniffed at :D. Don't use the shops as I'm very low maintenance in the fashion and jewellery department, much to my husband's delight.

Incidentally, it never fails to make me chuckle when someone asks if they can use their on-board credit before they embark. Decades ago, I worked in a bank, and I'd be rich if I had a penny each time we were asked if we were closed on the Bank Holiday ........................ :rolleyes:

On several occasions, I have noticed that we receive enhanced OBC when we provide our loyalty numbers. Happy to take it. We always book our excursions before we go and we receive our loyalty discount for those offered by P&O. Plus my shareholder benefit. It soon mounts up. Once we're on board, we drink/dine our way through the OBC - free booze is never to be sniffed at :D. Don't use the shops as I'm very low maintenance in the fashion and jewellery department, much to my husband's delight.

Incidentally, it never fails to make me chuckle when someone asks if they can use their on-board credit before they embark. Decades ago, I worked in a bank, and I'd be rich if I had a penny each time we were asked if we were closed on the Bank Holiday ........................ :rolleyes:

Interesting to note that the RCI group have just started to allow OBC to be used for pre booking of shore excursions, speciality dining etc, so not such a daft idea. Incidentally these would still be for on board consumption so your comparison with bank holiday closures is a bit inaccurate.

I have to go along with Dai's way of thinking. 100% off is better than 8.5% off. On our next cruise we have an incredibly silly large amount of OBC. I would much rather that..so I would feel I was getting things free rather than a smaller amount of OBC, and actually having to pay for stuff at the end of the cruise ..minus 8.5%...

High tier loyalty don't get extra on board spend do they?. I thought it depended on when you booked (what deal is going at the time) and the grade of cabin you booked, rather than how many times you have cruised.