Question regarding tips in Europe

Lady Arwen

We'll be on Koningsdam in three weeks to the Med and Europe. As we have never been to Europe before, we're really not sure of the tipping protocol while ashore, including restaurants and tour guides. I'm quite sure that it's much different from what we do here in Canada and the U.S.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

It varies in different areas of Europe. In the Uk it would be approx 10-15% in restaurants, not sure about tour guides but I think little or nothing.

In Southern Europe (Italy, Spain, France, Greece, Turkey) the locals leave less than 10%, just a few coins. However in touristy cruise ship areas the restaurants have become accustomed to some visitors tipping 10-20% as they would do at home.

This might help.

https://worldtravelers.org/travel-tips-tipping-guide.asp

Have a great trip!

Be well.

Bob:)

Based on our having lived in Europe (and elsewhere around the world) for many years, I think the link above is pretty accurate. Be sure to look for a service charge since many restaurants (at all levels) in Europe include it. In that case, you do not need to leave a tip, but if you want to, just round up to the nearest Euro.

We did not tip tour guides in Europe unless we were taking one of the "free walking tours" (and all of those tours were well worth the tip we paid for them!)

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies! I think that we'll tip our tour guides a few Euros, since they work hard to show us the sights, just not the 15-20% that we would normally tip in the Caribbean. I did not know about the restaurant "service charge", so I'll watch for that and then tip accordingly. We just want to make sure that we don't offend the locals by not tipping enough.

You're unlikely to offend the locals. Most of them have been begging for years that Americans leave their tipping habits at home and abide by the local customs. As someone else already said, tourists have now almost ingrained a tipping culture, at least in major tourist destinations, where there was none before..... (Waiters, servers, etc. are paid a living wage, they are NOT expecting tips to give them a reasonable income.)

The list someone else posted looks like a fair guide, except I'd say the amounts listed for tipping in restaurants in Italy should say 5-10% (and lower if there is a service charge already), and for Spain -- where there is the least local custom of tipping -- it should be 5-7% at most.

Be sure you understand the difference between a service charge and a charge for "bread and cover" (pane e coperto) which is sometimes levied in Italy. The latter does not go to the server, it pays, literally, for your bread and your tablecloth/napkins. (This has been outlawed in Rome but is still found in some other places.)

One other thing useful to know -- in Europe it's generally expected to leave a euro per person tip to your maid at a hotel. (Obviously not needed if staying at a self-catering apartment or AirBnB type place.)

The list someone else posted looks like a fair guide, except I'd say the amounts listed for tipping in restaurants in Italy should say 5-10% (and lower if there is a service charge already), and for Spain -- where there is the least local custom of tipping -- it should be 5-7% at most.

One other thing useful to know -- in Europe it's generally expected to leave a euro per person tip to your maid at a hotel. (Obviously not needed if staying at a self-catering apartment or AirBnB type place.)

Thanks for sharing...this is very helpful. What is your opinion on tipping tour guides? We have arranged private and small group tours in every place we're going to visit. If the guide works for a company would I need to look at that differently than an independent operator?

What about a driver for private transportation? 10%? The last time I was in Amsterdam I think I severely overtipped a guide who had taken us on a fantastic day-long tour of the Dutch countryside. His eyes popped out and I could tell the percentage wasn't something he was accustomed to getting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NO it is NOT! They are also paid a regular wage and there is no need to leave a tip unless they have done something exceptional.

Thanks for sharing...this is very helpful. What is your opinion on tipping tour guides? We have arranged private and small group tours in every place we're going to visit. If the guide works for a company would I need to look at that differently than an independent operator?

What about a driver for private transportation? 10%? The last time I was in Amsterdam I think I severely overtipped a guide who had taken us on a fantastic day-long tour of the Dutch countryside. His eyes popped out and I could tell the percentage wasn't something he was accustomed to getting.

Usually, not always of course, if the guide is the tour operator we don't tip. In cases where we have a small 6-I2 group in, say, a van that might have an English speaking guide and a driver (and they do a good job) I do 10% to be split by both the guide and driver. If the driver/guide is a non-owner, and does a great job then I have no problem with 7-10%.

If the tour narration is substandard / the guide has an apparent 'attitude' then no tip and a note to the operator would be forthcoming.

Regardless, it all depends on the circumstances and there is really nothing written in stone. In the undeveloped countries you can ask the guide what the basic monthly income is for the lower class and you can sort of get an idea of the economic conditions and expectations regarding a tip IMHO.

BTW, like here in the good old USA, if the service is crappy in any restaurant there is no tip whats so ever coming from moi.

And in many foreign 'eateries' the service charge is included so be sure to check your bill or ask your waiter if your unable to decipher the bill

Have fun and be well.

Bob :)

These kinds of services are more difficult, but in general I assume drivers and guides earn a salary, and tips are expected ONLY to show gratitude for service "above and beyond."

For instance, I'd tip a driver very little unless they have gone out of their way to be helpful to me in particular (e.g., if I needed help stowing a walker; if it's a driver who acts as a sort of guide as well).

For a guide, I might give an additional 5 euro (I'm a solo, keep in mind) for a full-day tour, IF I'm happy with the tour.

As said above, if you are unhappy with the tour or you feel it was very average, no tip is required.

When I traveled in Europe with Europeans they said not to tip like in America, that it was kind of offensive. They said add a few euros or round up.

That's very true :)

I went to leave about 8% in Spain once and my local friend really told me off. It's not well thought of when tourists go in and over-tip. It changes expectations from what is traditional in other peoples cultures.

As for a Euro a day for a maid, I have never heard of that at all. We don't generally tip housekeeping in Europe at all.

Usually, not always of course, if the guide is the tour operator we don't tip. In cases where we have a small 6-I2 group in, say, a van that might have an English speaking guide and a driver (and they do a good job) I do 10% to be split by both the guide and driver. If the driver/guide is a non-owner, and does a great job then I have no problem with 7-10%.

If the tour narration is substandard / the guide has an apparent 'attitude' then no tip and a note to the operator would be forthcoming.

Regardless, it all depends on the circumstances and there is really nothing written in stone. In the undeveloped countries you can ask the guide what the basic monthly income is for the lower class and you can sort of get an idea of the economic conditions and expectations regarding a tip IMHO.

BTW, like here in the good old USA, if the service is crappy in any restaurant there is no tip whats so ever coming from moi.

And in many foreign 'eateries' the service charge is included so be sure to check your bill or ask your waiter if your unable to decipher the bill

Have fun and be well.

Bob :)

These kinds of services are more difficult, but in general I assume drivers and guides earn a salary, and tips are expected ONLY to show gratitude for service "above and beyond."

For instance, I'd tip a driver very little unless they have gone out of their way to be helpful to me in particular (e.g., if I needed help stowing a walker; if it's a driver who acts as a sort of guide as well).

For a guide, I might give an additional 5 euro (I'm a solo, keep in mind) for a full-day tour, IF I'm happy with the tour.

As said above, if you are unhappy with the tour or you feel it was very average, no tip is required.

Many thanks to both of you. I need to look at my planning sheet, and probably save some money![emoji846] I was figuring on 15%, but it sounds like that's too much.

I have just under 2 weeks to get it figured out![emoji38]

As for a Euro a day for a maid, I have never heard of that at all. We don't generally tip housekeeping in Europe at all.

Okay, these responses have made me question myself, but I found this guide (From a British paper) indicating that a small tip for your maid is in fact often expected in Italy and France, at least (which are two of the Mediterranean countries I was thinking of....)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jul/25/tipping-around-the-world-holiday-restaurants-taxi-drivers-what-pay

Also, a Paris expert on Tripadvisor confirmed the practice. Two local experts for Greece were split -- one yes, one no.

So, I'm thinking I am not off base. No one's going to be put out if you don't, but on the other hand, it's apparently not uncommon.

We tip the porters at the cruiseship terminal when in the U.S. and the Caribbean. Do we tip the porters the same amount in Italy? Would it be per bag or a set amount? Thank you again for your help.

Ok firstly Europe is not one whole country and European is not one nationality ! Just a pet peeve that really irks me somewhat. We are a continent made up of many different cultures and attitudes ...

Secondly, just chill out about the whole tipping thing. I'm British and I've lived in Italy, Ireland, Greece and my family are from Poland. Tip if your service is exceptional otherwise just round it up to be polite, nobody is going to chase you down or go hungry if they aren't tipped enough :rolleyes: . The only time I've ever done a tour was in Russia and our guide did not get a tip from us as I'd paid a lot of money for that tour and quite frankly she was a bit of a b***h ! I gave the driver a few roubles cos he was very sweet to me but apart from those free walking tours I've not seen much tipping going on ...

Ok firstly Europe is not one whole country and European is not one nationality ! Just a pet peeve that really irks me somewhat. We are a continent made up of many different cultures and attitudes ...

I need a like button for that :halo:

and when the U.K. (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) leaves the E.C (European Community), they will still continue to be Europeans and live in the continent of Europe. :D

and when the U.K. (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) leaves the E.C (European Community), they will still continue to be Europeans and live in the continent of Europe. :D

I'm planning my escape to somewhere still in the EU before then ;). Maybe Ireland if they'll have me ...