Skagway Train Questions

gingersvp

I've read that you can basically step off the ship and buy tickets directly for the train. I've considered purchasing ahead of time, but the main problem I have is that we're from Florida and accustomed to a completely different time zone. This is making it difficult for me to decide which time would be best for the mood of our kids (15, 11 and almost 2 at the time). Is it fairly easy to just purchase tickets day of, or is it too busy and should we purchase ahead of time. We'll be there in mid-July, so during the height of season. We are there all day and could easily catch any of the three times available that day. We're going for the White Pass Summit that does not cross into Canada - mainly because it's the shortest trip.

This would be a good question for WPYR. The train by the dock is usually reserved for pre-booked passengers. I don’t remember anyone selling tickets there. Two years ago we went independent and had to walk into town to purchase tickets. About a 15 minute walk. There is also a shuttle.

Kids adjust rather well to time zone changes. It is when we are older, that we struggle more :)

My older boys did fairly well the last time we visited Alaska, but we were all up at 5 am every day. I just have no idea how my toddler will react, so I'm uncertain right now what time of day may work best for her.

Edited by gingersvp
Spelling

I think one of the important questions you need to find an answer to is how many cruise ships will be in port that day. If there will be 4+ ships, I might lean more towards booking in advance. Also, what day of the cruise is the port stop - is it the first day or fifth? If it is later in the cruise, your family might have adjusted to the time change a bit better.

I think one of the important questions you need to find an answer to is how many cruise ships will be in port that day. If there will be 4+ ships, I might lean more towards booking in advance. Also, what day of the cruise is the port stop - is it the first day or fifth? If it is later in the cruise, your family might have adjusted to the time change a bit better.

That is helpful. It's about halfway through our trip, on a Wednesday. I think I had previously checked a port guide and there are a number of ships in on the same day. I think I'll just err on the side of caution and book the earliest train.

Yes....you can book right on the dock, next to the train. You can also book onboard the ship, up to the night before. Excursion desk will close around 9pm the day before. If you have onboard credit, this is an excellent way to use some of it. Enjoy the train trip. My son took his 2 year old daughter last year and they had a great time.

http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com has a quick review on this excursion in the Skagway post.

I've read that you can basically step off the ship and buy tickets directly for the train. I've considered purchasing ahead of time, but the main problem I have is that we're from Florida and accustomed to a completely different time zone. This is making it difficult for me to decide which time would be best for the mood of our kids (15, 11 and almost 2 at the time). Is it fairly easy to just purchase tickets day of, or is it too busy and should we purchase ahead of time. We'll be there in mid-July, so during the height of season. We are there all day and could easily catch any of the three times available that day. We're going for the White Pass Summit that does not cross into Canada - mainly because it's the shortest trip.

Something else you might consider is this: Are you going to do a round trip on the train or are you interested in taking a train/bus combination? If you are interested in the combo tour the advice I received last year was to do the bus half first and then the train second. The reason is that there is often fog/clouds in the morning and if you're on the train at that time you might not have the views you are expecting. Typically the weather will clear up by noon or so and the train ride back will be much nicer as far as views go - the bus going over the mountains in the morning will be out of the fog & clouds relatively quickly. Otherwise it might not matter if you do a train round trip because if it's cloudy on the way up it will hopefully have cleared up by the time you come back.

Good luck!

Yes....you can book right on the dock, next to the train. You can also book onboard the ship, up to the night before. Excursion desk will close around 9pm the day before. If you have onboard credit, this is an excellent way to use some of it. Enjoy the train trip. My son took his 2 year old daughter last year and they had a great time.

www.zest4travel.wordpress.com has a quick review on this excursion in the Skagway post.

We're looking to book directly rather than through the cruise line. It's quite a bit less expensive (especially times 5 tickets). We do not have onboard credits with our reservation, instead we have tipping, dining and drinks all included. I've actually done this train myself when I was a teenager and I'm looking forward to sharing it with my kids! I was thrilled that my middle specifically requested it.

Something else you might consider is this: Are you going to do a round trip on the train or are you interested in taking a train/bus combination? If you are interested in the combo tour the advice I received last year was to do the bus half first and then the train second. The reason is that there is often fog/clouds in the morning and if you're on the train at that time you might not have the views you are expecting. Typically the weather will clear up by noon or so and the train ride back will be much nicer as far as views go - the bus going over the mountains in the morning will be out of the fog & clouds relatively quickly. Otherwise it might not matter if you do a train round trip because if it's cloudy on the way up it will hopefully have cleared up by the time you come back.

Good luck!

We evaluated both options but decided to stick with just a train ride. My husband felt that it would be better with the toddler because she could move about on a train, but not on a bus. Also, not having the bus portion meant we could stick to a train route that didn't require passports for the kiddos. I don't want to pull them out of school to apply in person, and waiting until school lets out in June is too close to our travel time. The fog is part of why I was hoping to wait to make a decision. I'd rather do the 12:45 train, but am not sure what to expect from the toddler at that time of day with the change in time zones. All in all she's been a good traveler, but if it was feasible I was hoping to leave the decision until day of.

All of everyone's input has been most helpful. Thank you!

Yes you can do walk up. BUT, you would need to get to the depot and purchase your tickets direct. Anything purchased at the "dock", is via booking agents. But, you need 5 tickets. so, I'd suggest you have their phone number and a credit card handy and just call, morning you are there. You can find out where the open space is easily then make your decisions. You will have to board the train at the depot- in town.