RCCL Ships for sale

What happens if they sell her before I sail?

Most likely they will give you some similar sailings on other ships to choose from, and some OBC. It will also be your choice to cancel for a full refund.

So is Rhapsody and Grandeur for sale?

Who buys these ships and what do they do with them?

Mabey they will make a reality show with the upstairs down stairs theme going o. Who knows. Ha Ha

Usually other cruise lines buy them. Lately it's been European cruise lines.

Is Royal Caribbean leaving the smaller ship business? Or are they desperate to pay for new ship builds? I'm suspecting the latter since they're also doing hard sell on current cruises.

I think in not too much time, Majesty and all the Vision class will be gone.

I think in not too much time, Majesty and all the Vision class will be gone.

What about Empress?

Third Party Deck Plans Page shows drydock for Grandeur starting later this month. Why fix it up only to sell it, unless it won't sell as is?

Thanks for the information.

I probably won't be booking Grandeur or Rhapsody because I don't want them to cancel a cruise I've planned.

Is Royal Caribbean leaving the smaller ship business? Or are they desperate to pay for new ship builds? I'm suspecting the latter since they're also doing hard sell on current cruises.

Economies of scale with larger ships. I don't think they are desperate to pay for new builds; that is all long term loans, selling off old tonnage frees up capital for staffing, operations, logistics.

They are in the business of having the latest and greatest and Vision class, while very nice, is becoming obsolete in terms of features and amenities. Maintenance, repairs, upgrades become potential liabilities on older tonnage that can not command as much money per guest as newer, larger ships.

Cruise ships tend to linger on the market for a long time; contracts for sale often run out a year or further, I would not be too excited about the sale listing. Ships go on there and come down with fair frequency. I also would not expect transaction price to be more than 85% of asking.

What's the upside of maintaining smaller ships when RCL has other lines that could perhaps serve that demand better and there are boutique cruise lines that also could perhaps serve that demand better?

What about Empress?
A similar question was asked in the Holland America forum about the Princendam. While it may not make sense to support a fleet of smaller ships, it may be beneficial to maintain a presence that supports projection of a worldwide network of ports served, even if only visited once a year by the one smaller ship.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Economies of scale with larger ships. I don't think they are desperate to pay for new builds; that is all long term loans, selling off old tonnage frees up capital for staffing, operations, logistics.

They are in the business of having the latest and greatest and Vision class, while very nice, is becoming obsolete in terms of features and amenities. Maintenance, repairs, upgrades become potential liabilities on older tonnage that can not command as much money per guest as newer, larger ships.

Cruise ships tend to linger on the market for a long time; contracts for sale often run out a year or further, I would not be too excited about the sale listing. Ships go on there and come down with fair frequency. I also would not expect transaction price to be more than 85% of asking.

In addition to this it has also been reported in Royal's financial reports that they are controlling their growth (capacity) by selling off the older ships in the fleet as new ships come on line. Instead of just adding a new Oasis class ship to the fleet and increasing their capacity by 6000 they will sell an older ship with say a capacity of 2000 resulting in a net increase of 4000.

In addition to this it has also been reported in Royal's financial reports that they are controlling their growth (capacity) by selling off the older ships in the fleet as new ships come on line. Instead of just adding a new Oasis class ship to the fleet and increasing their capacity by 6000 they will sell an older ship with say a capacity of 2000 resulting in a net increase of 4000.

The same practice is followed by the airline industry...out with the old...in with the new....

The same practice is followed by the airline industry...out with the old...in with the new....

I don't spend a week on a jet though...

We will miss the smaller ships when that time comes

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What will happen to the people who have a cruise booked if the Rhapsody is sold?

The will likely get a choice between a full refund or re-accommodation on a similar itinerary with price protection and OBC.

I would love to see transportation to the Anthem from Baltimore offered by RC. Then you can be assured that the traffic will not be a problem and the ship will wait. I hope they do not pull out of Baltimore but, if they do, then I think they should provide bus transportation to N.J. for an opportunity to board another RC ship. I wish they would do that now......it's the only way I will be going on a ship from N.J. I would really miss the Grandeur. Hope you are wrong about the sale.

I don't know if the ship in the "blurred out" picture is of the ship for sale, but the ship looks like BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS. The central portion looks like the "bridge" that was added when the ship was lengthened (directly under "to" in "details to qualified buyers"), plus it was launched in 1996.

Not Brilliance as she was launched in 2002 according to C&A trivia the other day.l

I believe the 965 ft. with 2138 passengers built in 2000 is Celebrity Millenium. Looked at pictures and recognized the decor. Sky Suite is definitely Celebrity. Maybe they are trying to sell her as Celebrity EDGE will be on line in Dec. 2018