Royal Caribbean split up our CONNECTING staterooms on our one year marriage anniversa

X

Just writing this as a warning and to vent. Today my family and I found out at the pier that we lost our connecting rooms that we booked several months in advance. It is our one year marriage anniversary and my wife and I our sleeping in separate rooms. We're not even on the same side of the ship.

We're told that one of our rooms was changed TWO days ago! And they said this was a travel agent error, but I booked these two rooms directly myself on royalcaribbean.com.

So far they are trying to connect to the other guest that got our original stateroom to ask him to move, but it's already midnight on day 1 and they haven't got a hold of him. Apparently the ship (Liberty of the Seas) is fully booked too. We are so incredibly frustrated. We even missed out on lunch and have been stressed out about this the whole day trying to resolve this at the pier and at guest services on the ship. We haven't unpacked and it's so frustrating to be going through this.

So, maybe this post will help future guests. Be sure to check your cabin numbers are correct, even TWO days prior from sailing.

Wow, sry to hear this is how your cruise is starting. We are cruising in June with two connecting rooms so my wife and I can have one room and the children in the other. If we lost our connecting rooms, it would have huge effect on our vacation. I hope they can fix your situation.

We sail next week on LOS in connecting rooms - so I will be watching this closely and hope that you get a satisfactory resolution! Definitely seems unfortunate!

Our rooms are connecting but our TA cannot get them linked so I have a fear that this could happen - but my kids are in one room without an adult so I think that might be in our favor.

Can I ask what the booking configuration was for your rooms - how many adults/children in each room?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sail next week on LOS in connecting rooms - so I will be watching this closely and hope that you get a satisfactory resolution! Definitely seems unfortunate!

Our rooms are connecting but our TA cannot get them linked so I have a fear that this could happen - but my kids are in one room without an adult so I think that might be in our favor.

Can I ask what the booking configuration was for your rooms - how many adults/children in each room?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had two rooms with each room 1 adult and 1 child. I didn't think you could book two minor children in a cabin alone.

Was one of the cabins modestly upgraded to another category? I have a note put on my reservations to not upgrade.

Yes. One cabin went from a interior promenade to an oceanview. It doesn't make sense to split up two connecting rooms though.

We had two rooms with each room 1 adult and 1 child. I didn't think you could book two minor children in a cabin alone.

RC will let you book your minor children in their own stateroom, as long as it's next to or across the hall from yours. You have to call to do this.

Ask for a suite...since it is your anniversary....

We didn't ask for a suite specifically, just for anything that would put us together again. They say the ship is fully booked.

So sorry you were screwed over. Some cruise lines do this and it sounds like Royal now does it, too. You book your cabin and then they give you a modest upgrade to move you out of the cabin. It sounds like a win-win, but you lose the location you wanted. A TA would have put a "no upgrade" note on your file if you wanted to keep the location and avoid the upgrade shuffle.

A few solutions for the future. I always book myself, and have full control over my reservation. You can list yours as no upgrades. Plus you never have to through a third party to fix things.

The OP did book themselves directly through RC. I don't know about their no upgrade settings, but that's how we have our preferences set.

I have been checking our cabin numbers daily ever since I booked because I'm terrified that this will happen. I don't really understand why someone would want to stay in a room that connects to someone else's family to start with.

I presume that your original cabin sleeps 4 and your new one sleeps 2. That's the only reason I can think of that they would move you. I want to know who these people are that are so important that Royal will move others out of cabins to accommodate them. It seems to happen fairly often.

This won't help you now, but there is a simple solution for others who have this concern. When you make your booking, if you are using a travel agent, have them select the No Upgrade option in the booking system. If you are making your booking yourself online, once you have completed your booking, call the cruise line booking number and have them select the No Upgrade option in their booking system. In most cruise line booking system, this is a back end option, meaning not available to the public to choose or see, done in the internal booking process.

If you have already made your booking, no need to worry, just call your TA and have them pull up your reservation and select this now, or call the cruise line if you booked direct and have them do so.

This won't help you now, but there is a simple solution for others who have this concern. When you make your booking, if you are using a travel agent, have them select the No Upgrade option in the booking system. If you are making your booking yourself online, once you have completed your booking, call the cruise line booking number and have them select the No Upgrade option in their booking system. In most cruise line booking system, this is a back end option, meaning not available to the public to choose or see, done in the internal booking process.

If you have already made your booking, no need to worry, just call your TA and have them pull up your reservation and select this now, or call the cruise line if you booked direct and have them do so.

Now We actually have an answer, the OP was upgraded. Although they may not be happy they were visited by the upgrade fairy.

Important lesson to the rest of us, if you are a C&A member go to your profile and set the preference to NO Upgrades. If not C&A then call you TA or RCI directly and ask for this.

This is no different than flying, book an isle seat and then get "an upgrade" to a middle seat in a preferred location. Again if you don't want it to happen you have to set your profile, at least for that flight to NO upgrade.

It pay to either know what your doing or do the research before hand.

BTW sorry to hear about your dilemma, try not to let it ruin your anniversary.