Just off Allure... almost stuck on the ship!

Thanks, good to know. I wonder how many don't have the cash to pay their final bill and what happens to them.

They are detained at Guest Services and given the opportunity to contact friends and relatives (expecially those who might be cruising with them) who might be able to help. Failing that, they have to sign some sort of agreement with a promise to pay.

Their alarm bells went off....How are we gonna charge this person $12.95 tomorrow?

That would just be icing on the cake, wouldn't it? They screw this up and delay your disembarkation to grab your credit card info. The next day they will whack you with the fraudulent min bar charge.

OP, please, please come back and post if they added $12.95 to your credit card a couple days after your cruise was over. The irony would make for an all time classic thread.

I just got off the Allure yesterday, but almost wasn't let off the ship. Despite entering my credit card with RCCL three times (with my reservation, confirming it prior to getting my SeaPass, then again at the pier before boarding), I was held up when disembarking because Guest Services didn't have my credit card on file?! :eek:

I'm not sure why they didn't have it and why nobody bothered telling me until getting off. I was staying in a suite and while Nancy the concierge was helpful in getting this resolved quickly, why didn't the concierges catch this?

Lesson: need to waste time during the week re-checking that Guest Services has what they need. Disappointing end to an otherwise great cruise.

It happens.

Out of curiosity, are paper statements still put on your door the last night? Or have they discontinued them because account information is on tv?

We still got the paper staterment as of this past February.

It happens.

Seems like it happens too often. We had a very similar experience during disembarkation of the Allure 4/2/17. Having given the credit card info when boarding, making purchases all week RCCL could not be bothered telling me there was any problem until my family was heading down the gangway. I was told after waiting on line at guest services that there was a problem with the computers when we boarded. I asked why the problem could not have been resolved at some time in the last seven days instead of contacting me after we had been cooling our heals waiting to get off the ship and then waiting in line etc. I was given no answer, just a "I'm sorry".

Same thing happened to us the week before (we were on the Allure 3/26 sailing). First the concierge came up to me on the second night when we were in the Suite Lounge and said there was a problem with many passengers and we needed to have our pictures re-taken. Then the next day we got an email on our tv (I just happened to check) telling us that we were close to reaching our cash account limit of $500 (although I had given my credit card). The concierge was able to fix that in less than a minute.

My thoughts exactly... why couldn't the concierge have alerted me to this and resolved it?!

Their alarm bells went off....How are we gonna charge this person $12.95 tomorrow?

That would just be icing on the cake, wouldn't it? They screw this up and delay your disembarkation to grab your credit card info. The next day they will whack you with the fraudulent min bar charge.

OP, please, please come back and post if they added $12.95 to your credit card a couple days after your cruise was over. The irony would make for an all time classic thread.

Ha, that would be epic! No, they charged me exactly what my account showed. Overall, I had a very nice vacation, just ended much differently than I would have liked.

For whoever is managing the Royal Caribbean brand, this is not the last impression you want to leave with customers who may have otherwise had a great vacation.

You know, this was exactly the thought I had when they did this to me. I'm just thinking how its too bad that this great week has to come to an end and then they hit me with this problem and all the good vacation vibes just wanted to drain away in an instant. On the other hand, after that, getting the baggage, getting through customs and hooking up for our ride to FLL was nothing. The three hour flight delay did pile on a little though.

For whoever is managing the Royal Caribbean brand, this is not the last impression you want to leave with customers who may have otherwise had a great vacation.

Fortunately, we had several RCI cruises under our belts before that one so the problem didn't make as much of an impact as it might have for a first timer. But all these years later I still think of it when I think about that cruise.

Well this is good information to have. I'm sailing on Sunday, put in my CC (and my mom's for her purchases) and I'm sure I'll have to hand over the card on Sunday morning during check in.

I think we'll make a mid-week stop at GC to be sure we're not going to get stuck at the end to try and fix an IT mistake. We have a flight back to NJ so I'd rather not get delayed in the terminal. Not super early, but since mom has some mobility challenges and needs to be hand wanded at the airport, we like to have the extra time.

One comment on this thread....it's probably a good idea to review your account via your stateroom TV, especially on the last day/night just to avoid such surprises. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, we learned of their mistake with our credit card not being on file via a message (mixed in with the multiple sales messages) on the TV.

One comment on this thread....it's probably a good idea to review your account via your stateroom TV, especially on the last day/night just to avoid such surprises. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, we learned of their mistake with our credit card not being on file via a message (mixed in with the multiple sales messages) on the TV.

The week that we had the issue on Oasis the interactive TV system was down all week... another of the several problems with that sailing.

This is good advice and I normally do just that but our interactive tv didn't work at all on the liberty last week (tv in general was picky as to when it wanted to work lol) and we had another couple sail with us that when they pulled up their account it showed a different name and all their charges from a previous sailing. Not a huge deal, we all just went to guest services and got a printout and they did leave a printout in the last night.

The kicker is that our printed bill was $18 cheaper then what went through on my CC and there are two pending charges from Royal, one for $16.99 and one for $135. Such odd amounts for holds, hoping they drop off but will ask when I call about the charge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen the odd hold amounts as well. On our last cruise we had only two holds put on one the last night for the total (as it was only around $50) the other was midweek for $7 for 1 hour night fee at the kids club. The other hold came off a week after the cruise but to me it was odd and sort of funny that their systems decided to try and post that small amount instead of the others.

I agree with the OP that this could of been handled much better. I know that many of us check that last paper briefly before shoving it into the suitcase but I guess there is another reason now to take a second and look to make sure it shows a 0 balance before going to that last breakfast.

As to the other poster who said out of all their cruises they still think about the one with a CC issue. I would agree we are the same. In our over 30 RCI cruises I still think back to our first B2B where our CC wasn't transferred over correctly and my DW sat at a bar while I went back to GS with my CC. (for some reason at that time the seapass account wasn't even converted to a cash account it was just denied at the bar.) Come to find out on b2b they (did at the time) key the b2b card info manually. They first told me my card was declined and let me call my company who said "uh we don't see any activity" It was then they checked the computer and found they miskeyd the #. Had a good laugh with the bartender and DW got a free drink from him for the troubles (even though GS didn't care or offer anything for their mistake) Like I said this was close to 30 cruises and about 9 years ago and I still think about it.

Seriously, it was resolved quickly, enough said

It should not have happened at all, and apparently this is not an isolated case. Royal's IT department is having all sorts "issues".

Edited by Cuizer2

This didn't help... I checked the stateroom TV multiple times during the week. Besides showing my activity, the message was something to the effect of "if you have a credit card on file, it will be charged". My total was less than $500, so I never hit the cash account hold. There was never a TV message that said they didn't have a cc on file or needed me to stop by GS.

This is good advice and I normally do just that but our interactive tv didn't work at all on the liberty last week (tv in general was picky as to when it wanted to work lol) and we had another couple sail with us that when they pulled up their account it showed a different name and all their charges from a previous sailing. Not a huge deal, we all just went to guest services and got a printout and they did leave a printout in the last night.

The kicker is that our printed bill was $18 cheaper then what went through on my CC and there are two pending charges from Royal, one for $16.99 and one for $135. Such odd amounts for holds, hoping they drop off but will ask when I call about the charge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Then I'm starting to think maybe it's just you. ;p

No, apparently it isn't just me.;)

Thing is, I reviewed the account almost daily during the cruise and reviewed the paper copy the morning of disembarkation. In retrospect there was nothing on the paper statement that said my CC had been or would be charged but also nothing that said it wasn't going to be. As others have said, I'll have to make sure to ask at guest services mid cruise to make sure they have the proper info. For the record, haven't seen any bogus charges so at least tha'ts something.

I was on the 3/26 Allure cruise and my son was told that he couldn't get off the ship because he account wasn't paid. There were 6 of us that had all of our purchases put on my account. The problem was that after we had checked in at the terminal, the computer system went down. They had to resort to the "old fashioned way" of checking people in for people who checked in after us. As we were sitting in the terminal waiting to board, people came around with wrist bands & wrote out paper boarding passes because our sea pass cards wouldn't work since the machines were down. Apparently my son's purchases weren't linked to my credit card anymore. He was the last one in line to leave the ship, so we all had to re-board the ship & go back to guest services to get it straightened out. Our cruise also left about 2 hours late because of the computer problems.