What are your requests with the Room Steward upon arrival to your cabin?

thesmiths

We just ask for ice. I see where some are asking for towel animals. I love getting these but I've never had to ask, just always get them. Has this changed? Do I need to ask for them now?

I was wondering the same thing. We've always gotten them automatically. Although, come to think of it, we didn't get them the 1st 2 days of a 5 day last October. Thought it was odd, but didn't realize it until they showed up on day 3. I really love getting them too ... always leave a sticky on the mirror asking them to leave them until the last day.

Nothing out of ordinary. Ice daily and some additional towels.

I'm going to have an aft balcony for first time and saw in this thread about a lounger; to me that is definitely tip worthy at time of service if procured.

i typically hand him/her $40....i ask for the ice bucket to be kept full and show him/her a picture of my luggage to see if he/she can get it right away....it usually works

Methinks there's a little bit of "firstie" to this approach.

#hypocriticallivesmatter

Twice a day service, ice bucket filled at each service, robes if they are not in the closet, and a supply of room service cards to order coffee in the morning. Have never felt it necessary to "bribe" them up front. They get an additional amount at the end of the cruise if they have done their jobs.

We don't have any specific requests when we get to the cabin. We're pretty easy to please. A couple of things we've asked for when the need arises have been extra towels, extra pool towels, extra breakfast ordering cards....and that's probably about it.

Our last steward (as the others have been on other lines) was ALWAYS on hand for anything we asked; there was one day where the seas were really rough and I was seasick and laying in bed most of the day. He asked my husband how I was feeling because he noticed I hadn't left the room, and when I finally ventured out he still managed to service the room--complete with towel animal--in the short time I left the cabin.

We always leave a generous tip at the end of the cruise along with a note thanking the steward for taking care of us. We've always felt waited on hand and foot and we also think the cabin stewards are some of the hardest working people we meet!

• 2 months later...
i typically hand him/her $40....i ask for the ice bucket to be kept full and show him/her a picture of my luggage to see if he/she can get it right away....it usually works

Big fish story

Wine glasses, ice, and new pillows if the ones in the cabin are feather pillows. Mrs. Dawg is allergic to those.

As for tips, or pre-tips for these services, sometimes we will bonus the steward early, sometimes late and sometimes mid-cruise. Hey if we are feeling really wild we might do all three. :D

We went on our first cruise last month. My husband gave the steward $20 when we first met him. We asked for service twice a day and extra towels....we got neither. Evans was a nice guy and greeted us in the hall but I learned a lesson. We did get our animals every day (not at night) even if some were repeats /) bb8d11c47ea6bed5b301cef8d314b3d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Evans sounds like a lazy moron. Sorry you didn't get what you paid for.

SaveSave

We already have our second one booked for November (it only took one for me to be hooked! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those that do the pre-tip on first day do you find you get better service for the week? We always tip extra on the next to last night of cruise. Considering splitting it 20/20 instead of typical 40 at end? Any comparison would be appreciated!

In 26 cruises I have never tipped a Cabin Steward the first time I met him/her, and I have always had excellent service during the one or two weeks I have been on the ships. It is absolutely not necessary unless you feel that it gives you better service or leverage. I would feel like I was bribing them rather than rewarding them. I find that talking to them and treating them like the hard working human beings that they are sets up a rapport that will get things done for you. And, always use the magic words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

For those that do the pre-tip on first day do you find you get better service for the week? We always tip extra on the next to last night of cruise. Considering splitting it 20/20 instead of typical 40 at end? Any comparison would be appreciated!

At the end of the cruise we normally tip in cash (above and beyond the auto grats which we leave on) at the rate of $5 a day.

We've always been very nice to the the staff and let them know we appreciate their care of us. Never had anything less that fine service.

Ice bucket filled I put ice in everything, cereal, milk you name it!!;p

So I am not alone on this. Good to know. We usually do the $20 tip as well. Maybe more at the end (in addition to prepaids). These folks work so hard. We have not standard requests but have asked for robes when they were not there. I have asked for ice on Royal before but on our lone Carnival cruise we were never without it even though I didn't mention it. A+ service.

My recent cruise, I didn't get towel animals until I asked for it. Then it was only Tues. & Weds. night. The last night, Thurs. night, I didn't get a towel animal. I never got ice, didn't know I had to ask for it though. The minute I arrived into the cabin, there were two large bottles of water on the desk. I moved them to shelf behind the TV. I also put all the books, pamphlets, info. tents, etc. on shelf behind TV. On Thurs., there was an order form the steward completed charging me $6 for 1 bottle of water. It was STILL full & sitting behind the TV. I asked & he said the 'seal' was broken on the water bottle. I said, NOT me. I put them behind the TV and that's where they stayed. He took the form and the bottle and left the cabin visibly unhappy. I was a solo female passenger. I loosely made my bed in the mornings. I thought the bed was being stripped and re-made daily, like a hotel, but discovered he was only making the bed with same sheets. I had to ask him to strip the bed and make with clean sheets. I was pretty unhappy with the overall service. This was the NCL Sky in May 2017.