What are your requests with the Room Steward upon arrival to your cabin?

thesmiths

I have never tipped the stewards at the beginning of the cruise and have pretty much had good service each time. I usually talk to them and let them know that every day I want my towel animals when I get back to my room at night and never the same one twice. So far it has worked.

Hi

We never ask for anything to be done on the first day. They know what their job is. If there are things that we need or things that are not being done we ask at that time.

We never tip on the first day. Considering how many people do, I can understand why the stewards try to make the effort to greet us when we first board. You know, its funny, they used to do that when we first started cruising, thirty years ago now and it wasn't because they were hoping to get an extra $20. To tip extra after we have already paid tips, before they have done anything, is silly. If I wasn't going to leave normal tips in place, I might consider giving tip as we went along. We tip for the service that we receive at the end of the cruise, anything else seems like a bribe to me. If I have to bribe someone to do their job, then I don't want to encourage them. There was only once that we didn't give extra.

After embarkation, how soon do the stewards introduce themselves? Can you request to have the room serviced only every other day?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good question. I don't think anyone on here has ever asked that before :')

Hi

You know, its funny, they used to do that when we first started cruising, thirty years ago now and it wasn't because they were hoping to get an extra $20. To tip extra after we have already paid tips, before they have done anything, is silly. If I wasn't going to leave normal tips in place, I might consider giving tip as we went along. We tip for the service that we receive at the end of the cruise, anything else seems like a bribe to me. If I have to bribe someone to do their job, then I don't want to encourage them. There was only once that we didn't give extra.

I agree that tipping extra is optional and is a choice, but I disagree that tipping in advance is "silly". The origin of the term "To Insure Proper Service - TIPS) goes back a ways and originally involved a payment in advance - hence the term "To Insure". It became customary and then over time became a way for employers to pay the staff less since they would get TIPS regularly. We have also been cruising a long time and do remember that it used be that the cabin attendants waited in their area during embarkation and introduced themselves to each party. In those days there were no "pre-paids" and we tipped cash in provided envelopes on the last night. I have mixed feelings on that. I liked that we knew that the people that served us would get the money directly, but having the cash in the proper denominations was a chore. We usually divided up the standard amounts before the cruise and kept it in the safe until the end and then adjusted as we saw fit. The pre-paying is easier but I am suspicious as to how it is distributed.

In any case, we feel fine about providing some cash up front since we have never had bad service (some better than others, but none bad) and we want to let them know we appreciate what they do. I don't consider this a "bribe" so much as an expression of appreciation and respect for their work. As a matter of fact, sometimes we do not see our attendant on the first day and the advance tip never happens. I have never seen service suffer as a result. If we do tip in advance and the service is outstanding we may kick in some more at the end. Either way, we have never regretted doing this gesture in advance.

To the original question, we do not have a standard request but we have asked for ice, robes, for the mini fridge to be emptied (when appropriate), and for more hangers.

As seen on Zuck's world. e6aaf001fd90608bcbe401ba15d83861.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How about putting a hat beside the door labeled "Contributions to pay this Jerk's Tips" and leave a couple of bucks in it. Actually, they probably would not even get the message. Clueless and classless.

Have NEVER needed to bribe them for towels or ice....we tip additionally, if warranted, at the END of the cruise, as is customary when cruising.

Ditto.....no need to 'bribe' for a service not yet received..... and we have had EXCELLENT service on almost every cruise.....and for that we tip at the end of the cruise for the 'excellent services rendered' AFTER we have received them if warranted (which they usually are).

I will personally stick with tipping ahead of time aka "bribery" [emoji23]

When the Lido deck/Atrium bar is 2 deep, my bartender sees me and my cocktail is waiting at the end of the bar....sort of like an unadvertised FTTB (Faster To The Booze) [emoji16]

Twice a day service, ice bucket filled at each service, robes if they are not in the closet, and a supply of room service cards to order coffee in the morning. Have never felt it necessary to "bribe" them up front. They get an additional amount at the end of the cruise if they have done their jobs.

Ditto on all. I am surprised to see this about tipping in the beginning. I never have in all we have sailed and tip generously at end in addition to the standard tips pre-paid. Don't forget to always tip Room Service when you receive your order too! We usually only do $3.00 on each order when we use it.

Ditto.....no need to 'bribe' for a service not yet received..... and we have had EXCELLENT service on almost every cruise.....and for that we tip at the end of the cruise for the 'excellent services rendered' AFTER we have received them if warranted (which they usually are).

Same here. I have never been disappointed with our level of service. Clean room, fresh ice and always prompt with any other needs and I have never tipped on day 1.

I agree that tipping extra is optional and is a choice, but I disagree that tipping in advance is "silly". The origin of the term "To Insure Proper Service - TIPS) goes back a ways and originally involved a payment in advance - hence the term "To Insure". It became customary and then over time became a way for employers to pay the staff less since they would get TIPS regularly.

Hi

I said I felt it was silly, if you have already tipped the person, through the pre payment of tips. People tip, once, twice, three times. People can do what they wish with their money. All I am saying is that I feel that it is silly and not necessary. I don't know where they get the notion that if they don't throw enough money around they won't be treated properly.

The origin of the term "To Insure Proper Service - TIPS) goes back a ways and originally involved a payment in advance - hence the term "To Insure".

You can't "insure" service happens. You can try to "ensure" it does, but there is no acronym TEPS that I know of. Insure and Ensure get mixed up often due to sounding very similar.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

After embarkation, how soon do the stewards introduce themselves? Can you request to have the room serviced only every other day?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes we have met them as soon as the cabins are ready, but more often it is after bags are delivered, closer to dinner time. Oddly enough, on the Sunshine, the steward never introduced himself. The cabin was cleaned everyday, but he never said so much as hello to us. It was fine, meeting them is not really important to me. Guy did a good job and earned his gratuity.

Yes, we have told them they can skip our room for a day, a lot of times on sea days. We normally do get fresh towels even if the cabin isn't being cleaned. AND yes we still leave the full gratuity, and tip extra each time we make a personal request.