Maybe a new perk

dkjretired

Just received an email from NCL offering what I think is a new perk Free taxes and port fees, they also offer with it five perks. I have never seen a cruise line offer free taxes and port fees, wonder if this will be a new trend perhaps picked up by Celebrity.

Just received an email from NCL offering what I think is a new perk Free taxes and port fees, they also offer with it five perks. I have never seen a cruise line offer free taxes and port fees, wonder if this will be a new trend perhaps picked up by Celebrity.

Impressive!

The only time I've heard of this before is with luxury cruise line Viking:

We include more features and services than others, worth $203 per guest per day:

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
  • Unlimited Wi-Fi
  • Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
  • Multiple dining venues including alternative restaurant dining
  • 24-hour room service, specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
  • Access to top-rated spa & state-of-the-art fitness center
  • Access to self-service launderette with iron/ironing board
  • All port taxes & fees
  • Airport transfers on embarkation/disembarkation day with Viking Air program

It's just rolled into the price. They're under the same umbrella corporation as Oceania which has always done it this way.

One thing that Oceania doesn't do is refund any charges for missed ports.

It's just rolled into the price. They're under the same umbrella corporation as Oceania which has always done it this way.

I think we're all aware they're not free, nothing is. Just bringing it up as had not seen it before.

Royal Caribbean has been doing it for the past year or two.

Color me "skeptical." Guess we have been around long enough to know that there is seldom anything "free" is the cruise world. So lets assume the normal (whatever that means) price for a cruise is $1000 plus fees/taxes which cost $200. In my world that simply means the cruise price is $1200! Now assume a cruise line charges $1200 for the cruise....but says that taxes and fees are Free! Ok..so now I have a great deal. Only $1200 for the cruise with no taxes?

Cruise lines have been criticized by some consumer groups for the way they price their product (the airlines went through this same issue). Many argue that the cruise lines should advertise the real price which would include all taxes/fees and gratuities (on lines which charge for this item). Cruise lines prefer to be completely dishonest and market the lowest price...which is really not a real price. We would love to see NCL or another line take the lead and market the true price...but we will not hold our breath.

Hank

Color me "skeptical." Guess we have been around long enough to know that there is seldom anything "free" is the cruise world. So lets assume the normal (whatever that means) price for a cruise is $1000 plus fees/taxes which cost $200. In my world that simply means the cruise price is $1200! Now assume a cruise line charges $1200 for the cruise....but says that taxes and fees are Free! Ok..so now I have a great deal. Only $1200 for the cruise with no taxes?

Cruise lines have been criticized by some consumer groups for the way they price their product (the airlines went through this same issue). Many argue that the cruise lines should advertise the real price which would include all taxes/fees and gratuities (on lines which charge for this item). Cruise lines prefer to be completely dishonest and market the lowest price...which is really not a real price. We would love to see NCL or another line take the lead and market the true price...but we will not hold our breath.

Hank

Have you ever stayed in a hotel, parked in the city or bought a car? Many products and services come with hidden costs. The problem with presenting fully loaded costs is that it can make it more difficult to compare costs unless everyone is under a legal obligation to do it and do it the same way..

I have a November cruise booked with NCL and just got off the phone with my ta to see about repricing with the new promo. Guess what, price of the cruise has gone up, so no benefit to me to reprice. As was said, nothing is free!

Have you ever stayed in a hotel, parked in the city or bought a car? Many products and services come with hidden costs. The problem with presenting fully loaded costs is that it can make it more difficult to compare costs unless everyone is under a legal obligation to do it and do it the same way..

I booked a hotel room for a weekend getaway last weekend for $114. Sounds great right. Total cost $163

Room $114

12% tax 13.68

resort fee 25.00

Parking $10 (and that was a deal, most charged $35)

Total $163!! that's a far cry from $114

As you all know they will just include them in the total cruise price and call it FREE.

NCL doesn't refund port fees for missed ports either, even when you miss 90% of the ports.

Celebrity and Azamara certainly do.

.....Cruise lines prefer to be completely dishonest and market the lowest price...which is really not a real price.....
Have you ever stayed in a hotel, parked in the city or bought a car? Many products and services come with hidden costs. ......

I agree with Fish Lover. Just about anything one buys will have such so-called "dishonest" prices. City, county and state taxes are often tacked onto the cost of virtually all purchased items. The price tag in the advertisement or on the shelf says "$49.95" but then those taxes are added making the total price higher. Not at all different than what the cruise lines do. But, since it isn't the "dishonest" cruise lines doing it, it must be OK?

Some people see conspiracy theories in just about everything. :rolleyes:

I would like to think people are smart enough to figure the total cost of a cruise before booking. That would include taxes and fees, gratuities, and transportation, meals, and hotels, if needed, to and from the original and final port. But like he example of sales tax, maybe not.

I would like to think people are smart enough to figure the total cost of a cruise before booking. That would include taxes and fees, gratuities, and transportation, meals, and hotels, if needed, to and from the original and final port. But like he example of sales tax, maybe not.

It is shocking how even smart people are not so smart when it comes to money and promotions. Consider stores that still price items at $9.99 instead of $10.00. Or a cruise line that advertised a 1 week cruise for $999 when the least costly cabin is somewhat more expensive once you add in "fees and taxes" plus gratuities. When I took a Marketing Course in College (about a century ago) our professor actually showed us a study which proved that human nature trumped intelligence. Folks do understand that $9.99 is about the same as $10,00.....but they still opt for the lower price. If I sell that $999 cabin for $1299....but simply say it includes $1000 of free drinks....most will think its a great deal. Or course that $1000 of free drinks is not reality. We looked at a 7 day NCL cruise this morning that "includes a Free Ultimate Drink Package values at $1,106.00). That means NCL is valuing their drink package at $158 a day (per person) or $316 a day per couple. DW and I enjoy adult beverages and also drink wine with lunch/dinner. In over 1000 days of cruising (on some lines that price out their drinks at higher prices then NCL) we have never been able to spend more then $75 per person/day for drinks. Even if we over indulged it is hard to imagine spending more then $100 a day! There might be a few souls that can drink $158 a day...but they would be the exception.

Many folks seem to turn off part of their brain when in cruise mode. We see cruisers running to the "recommended stores" on various islands....even though the only reason those stores are "recommended" is because they paid a fee to the shore excursion company/cruise line to be "recommended." Those stores are not necessarily better or worse....but have simply paid a fee! Folks go to onboard Art Auctions where the auctioneer will tell you that a basic glycee is worth $2000! Take that machine made copy (that is what is now called a glycee) to a gallery and try to sell it for $2000 and they would likely lock you up for insanity! But somebody will pay $2000 for that glycee on the ship and think they got a good deal.

We were recently on a cruise when I stopped in the onboard shop to buy a bottle of good Scotch (at Duty Free Prices). The bottle was on sale for about $5 less then the price at home! We are talking about saving $5 on a $60 bottle of booze (less then 10%). And for that savings I have to put it in my checked luggage, move the heavier bag..make sure it doesnt make my bag go overweight (which would cost me a lot more then what I saved buying that bottle) and pray it doesn't break inside my luggage. Hardly worth the risk or hassle to save $5! I can go to a nearby State (Delaware) and buy my favorite booze items at Costco...for less then the prices charged on many cruise ships. Go figure.

Hank