Watch You Don't Overbid

P&C4/16/67

Just sharing this FYI. We started with an Inside GTY on the Gem 11 night April 18th for $799. We placed a bid for $250 each for an upgrade to balcony (almost middle of good range). They accepted our bid (9 days before sailing) and was assigned a B2. We were, and are still happy with that. $1049 pp on an 11 night cruise isn't bad, but looking at the price now, a Balcony GTY is only $999. There are only B2's and BA's left. Just for the heck of it, DH called and asked if we could have anything like some OBC or even a BA cabin upgrade. Nope, we offered a price, they accepted, can't do anything. The rep asked if we'd like to speak to someone else and got a supervisor on the line, same answer.

We're still happy with our transaction and cabin assignment but want to pass this along.

Good point. This is one of the reasons that it may be beneficial to wait to place your bids, depending on current pricing and the cost to pay to upgrade between categories by calling NCL or your TA. I called and got pricing on the "upgrades" I was interested in before placing a bid. And we are in a CAS room so I don't believe those prices change at all. But regular pricing can fluctuate.

Thank you for this post, I always appreciate tips like this from people who have lived and learned so to speak. It seems like this bidding process isn't getting most people that great of a deal. I think we'll just stick to the original cabin we booked, happy when we booked and happy when we cruise! But thanks again for posting this, it was very helpful

The way I look a the bidding process is do I want the at a good/fair price or the lowest possible price. Are you are looking out for NCL's best interest or your own. The only correct way to this is to place a low ball and be prepared to be told "no". If you are afraid of someone out bidding you or being told "no" you should not have started the process. Might as well just book the cabin you hope for. And when you say NCL will not do anything for you. You are wrong. They accepted your bid.

I'm not the least bit surprised they didn't offer you any compensation. Your past final payment - if you just booked a balcony guarantee at $1049 and then it dropped to $999, there would be no compensation offered.

But it's a fare point to compare bids to current pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not the least bit surprised they didn't offer you any compensation. Your past final payment - if you just booked a balcony guarantee at $1049 and then it dropped to $999, there would be no compensation offered.

But it's a fare point to compare bids to current pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we knew that and in fact DH said basically what you said. Now we know why they jumped on our bid early:D

Allison, waiting to bid is excellent advise. Well, as long as it looks like they won't sell out.

Mimosas, I don't think so because we didn't bother bidding on an OV because they had a range to $25-$200 while it was priced only $100 above I/S.

All in all, $1049 for a balcony on this cruise is a good price to us and we're happy with it.;p

Oh, BTW, DH just reminded me what happen last April on our 10 nighter. We were in an I/S at $709. I read about the upsell here and told him to call. We got a 2 BR suite on deck 11 for $400 each. We couldn't even buy an OV for $1109. The best part was eating BF & L in Moderno & Cagneys everyday. Lunch was better than any dinner we ever had in any MDR. That was a cruise to remember. I'll bet everyone like us, will really miss that upsell department.:loudcry:

Good point. This is one of the reasons that it may be beneficial to wait to place your bids, depending on current pricing and the cost to pay to upgrade between categories by calling NCL or your TA. I called and got pricing on the "upgrades" I was interested in before placing a bid. And we are in a CAS room so I don't believe those prices change at all. But regular pricing can fluctuate.

CAS has changed the policy and its no longer a fixed price to another category. We have now done two upgrades with CAS that were good deals due to current prices. As with all the advice here, watch for your current category to get closer in price to the category you are interested it. It never hurts to call and ask what price to upgrade. I pulled all of my bids and went with the paid upgrade. Also got to choose exact cabin we wanted.

CAS has changed the policy and its no longer a fixed price to another category. We have now done two upgrades with CAS that were good deals due to current prices. As with all the advice here, watch for your current category to get closer in price to the category you are interested it. It never hurts to call and ask what price to upgrade. I pulled all of my bids and went with the paid upgrade. Also got to choose exact cabin we wanted.

Good to know. I will try calling when it gets closer. We were looking at maybe just upgrading to a penthouse but when I called they wanted $1150pp to do this, which I felt was high. I am glad that CAS changed the way they do these upgrades to be more inline with pricing trends. I would definitely prefer upgrading that way and getting all the promos than bidding. Are there any stipulations with getting all the suite promos when you pay to upgrade closer to sailing?

Good to know. I will try calling when it gets closer. We were looking at maybe just upgrading to a penthouse but when I called they wanted $1150pp to do this, which I felt was high. I am glad that CAS changed the way they do these upgrades to be more inline with pricing trends. I would definitely prefer upgrading that way and getting all the promos than bidding. Are there any stipulations with getting all the suite promos when you pay to upgrade closer to sailing?

We didn't upgrade to Suites/Havens, but I believe I have read on these boards that CAS was now allowing all the suite promos when you upgrade with them. Perhaps someone else can verify that for us?

We didn't upgrade to Suites/Havens, but I believe I have read on these boards that CAS was now allowing all the suite promos when you upgrade with them. Perhaps someone else can verify that for us?

That is correct, I did that last week. Comped a balcony and upgraded to the Haven.

I can also confirm they started doing this again - I was advised by my CAS contact to wait to book until Feb or so when they started giving the perks again. Once she gave me the thumbs up, I booked my inside comp on a 13 night transatlantic, and upgraded to an Owner's Suite on Epic with all of the suite offers. I absolutely cannot wait! :D Now it's just a waiting game to see if they bring back the pre-paid DSC again...