Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

MVPinBoynton

6 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Since the program is paid for by the Port of Seattle to make up for any inconvenience due to the huge construction program at SeaTac Airport I would very much doubt it.  You might want to contact the Port of San Diego to see if there is any similar project there. 

Tom

Thanks.  But if I recall correctly, the reason for the program was to encourage people to spend more time, and dollars, in Seattle before heading to the airport.  Free of their luggage , they  could sightsee for the day unencumbered. I was hoping San Diego would do the same for that reason.

See post number 1 of this very long thread.  🙂

Edited by Tinknock50

7 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Many more people have not had luggage lost.  Ill take my chances with the free service.

We used it in September of 2018.  Worked fine, in that we got our luggage in SF and our friends got theirs in San Diego.

That said, one of the friends reported her suitcase was damaged.  She had no way of getting the damaged paid for, as who knows where the damage occurred?  Room to dock, dock to airport, SEA to SAN?  Could have been anywhere.

11 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

Thanks.  But if I recall correctly, the reason for the program was to encourage people to spend more time, and dollars, in Seattle before heading to the airport.  Free of their luggage , they  could sightsee for the day unencumbered. I was hoping San Diego would do the same for that reason.

It is not unusual for SeaTac Airport (8th busiest US airport)  to have 150K passengers (arrivals & departures) on any give day in August.   The Port of Seattle's Port Valet program does relieve stress in the airport departure hall, as well as give passengers with later departing flights the option to sight-see luggage-free.  It is a win-win for both the airport and the passengers that use it.   The Port of Seattle team that developed this program was honored for their innovated idea.  Port of Seattle bears the total cost for this program, and there is a direct positive impact on airport efficiency, as well as less harried passengers.  The airport in San Diego is much smaller, and may not have the same needs/reason to offer a similar free program. 

Being such an old thread,  thought  I would refresh it with the release from Port of Seattle:

Enjoy Seattle, Luggage-Free! It’s Complimentary, Convenient and Secure.

The Port of Seattle is pleased to offer complimentary luggage transfer from the ship to your airline at the end of your cruise. Enjoy hassle free disembark with Port Valet.

It’s a complimentary luggage service sponsored by the Port of Seattle and our cruise line and airline partners. While on board your ship, sign-up, check your luggage and receive your airline boarding pass. Your luggage will be transferred directly to your airline and checked to your final destination.

No need to rush to the airport, so enjoy Seattle and travel luggage free!

How does the service work?

1. Enroll Early!

Once you're on the ship complete the enrollment form found in your stateroom.  If you have questions about eligibility, check with the guest services team on your ship. It's best to enroll during the first few days of your cruise.

You can use Port Valet if you are flying with these participating airlines:

Alaska

American

Delta

Horizon

JetBlue

Southwest

United

2.  Drop your luggage

The night before your cruise ends, you’ll receive your airline boarding passes and special luggage tags from your ship’s crew. Set your bags outside your cabin that evening and the ship's crew will pick them up.

Your luggage will be securely transferred directly from the cruise ship and checked in with your airline all the way to your destination airport. You don’t have to do a thing.

3.   Enjoy Seattle

Capitalize on your freedom and spend the day exploring Seattle in its most beautiful season. Visit Seattle can help plan the day.  Check out the 2-hour, 4-hour and all day self-tours at:https://www.visitseattle.org/things-to-do/cruise-information/pre-post-cruise-activities/

4.    Skip check-in at the airport

When you arrive at Sea-Tac Airport, proceed through security and board the plane.  Your luggage is already checked to your final destination!

5.     Track your luggage

You can track your bags at the Port Valet website: https://portvalet.maketraveleasier.com/

Explore Port Valet

Edited by Tinknock50
  • Like 1

Long time lurker here

I have used this service back in September coming off a Alaska cruise it all good if your bags makes it to the airline. I had one bag that didn't make it and was contacting BAGS (Maketraveleasier) is like talking to a wall as they gives you the run around every time you call them.  After 2 months of back and forth they just stopped responding to my email inquiry even Ricardo Torress (the Director of BAGS) was included in the email. I have also emailed the CEO Bob Miles and gotten nothing. If your bag makes it great but don't except anything not even admit they are at fault. I would not trust my bag with this service.  

On 1/9/2020 at 11:55 AM, aznqtboy said:

Long time lurker here

I have used this service back in September coming off a Alaska cruise it all good if your bags makes it to the airline. I had one bag that didn't make it and was contacting BAGS (Maketraveleasier) is like talking to a wall as they gives you the run around every time you call them.  After 2 months of back and forth they just stopped responding to my email inquiry even Ricardo Torress (the Director of BAGS) was included in the email. I have also emailed the CEO Bob Miles and gotten nothing. If your bag makes it great but don't except anything not even admit they are at fault. I would not trust my bag with this service.  

Did you try their bag locator service (mentioned in the post prior to yours)?  

On 1/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, DaveOKC said:

Did you try their bag locator service (mentioned in the post prior to yours)?  

YES used the bag locator and i also have called multiple times into their customer service and gotten a run around as which they admit no fault. After a couple of months i finally gave up because it has gotten nowhere. I was in contact with the director and gotten a responds but after a couple more inquires it just went silent. All i'm saying is its a good service until they lose your bag and if that happens don't expect anything from this Bags company. 

10 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

What time do we have to be off the ship using this service?  In  FLL we had to be off by 7:30am.

We used this in Sept and were on a HAL transfer.  We were not the first ones off the ship by any means, I think we were sort of early middle group.  I do not recall anything on the information sheet telling us when to disembark.

14 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

What time do we have to be off the ship using this service?  In  FLL we had to be off by 7:30am.

As mentioned above, it's the time of the flight - not when you leave the ship.  When we used it in 2018, we were at the last departure time.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, abbydancer said:

As mentioned above, it's the time of the flight - not when you leave the ship.  When we used it in 2018, we were at the last departure time.

Good to know.  It's totally different in FLL..  Off by 7:30 am even though our flight wasnt until 5 pm.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:22 PM, Tinknock50 said:

Another stupid tax payer funded program...  Our poor City is in crisis.  Homeless crisis living on the streets.  City Counsel is trying to run out great tax paying companies like the little local AMAZON... Today Macys announces their downtown store is closing.  Oh well.... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Another stupid tax payer funded program...  Our poor City is in crisis.  Homeless crisis living on the streets.  City Counsel is trying to run out great tax paying companies like the little local AMAZON... Today Macys announces their downtown store is closing.  Oh well.... 

While I did use the program (and REALLY liked it), I could not see the logic of it for Seattle, at least not considering the cost of it.

If I wanted to visit downtown Seattle, it still would be hard to do after a cruise, having to deal with my carryons.

15 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

While I did use the program (and REALLY liked it), I could not see the logic of it for Seattle, at least not considering the cost of it.

If I wanted to visit downtown Seattle, it still would be hard to do after a cruise, having to deal with my carryons.

Dave,

I actually think it is a great program, just not properly funded.  I prefer a pay to play plan.

20 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Dave,

I actually think it is a great program, just not properly funded.  I prefer a pay to play plan.

I  thought it was funded because of construction at the airport.  When that's done, it will no longer be free.  At least that's what I was told in 2018.

Lucky for us that construction is always ongoing at SeaTac airport.  This week they raised in place the new bridge for the International Arrival Faccility (opening in very late 2020).  The North Satellite is nearing completion (2021), and there is so much more happening!  All good - and FWIW, SeaTac does not receive local tax-payer dollars (Fed money yes, along with airport fees, and fees charged to the airlines).

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2018 at 8:56 AM, ElmwoodPark said:

I would love to use this service, but have a question regarding the bag fees. I will be flying American home with a flight at 3PM. American normally has a $25 checked bag fee, but I have their credit card so I receive the first checked bag free.

Does anyone know if I will be charged the $25 checked bag fee as I am not checking my bag at the airport and inserting my AA credit credit card when checking my bag?

The free bag is NOT tied to using your credit card at check-in, it is tied to your Aadvantage number.  You don't have to use the credit card to get the free bag.  Just  the credit card already gives an indication that bookings with the connected AAdvantage number are entitled to a free bag. You can use any card to book your ticket or pay other fees.  Using your card at the kiosk is simply a method to get find your reservation, you could get the same free bag by using your Driver's License, passport, or simply entering your AAdvantage number at the Kiosk

On 2/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, Sam.Seattle said:

Dave,

And, most of us would personally not like to pay extra hotel and car rental taxes to fund stadiums we don't use.  The taxes cruise passengers pay for those is far greater than the cost of providing luggage transport to the airport, so people can spend more time in the city.  I am also sure, these passengers are spending other money in Seattle supporting the people who live there.