Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

MVPinBoynton

We disembarked from the Ruby princess yesterday (may 20) and used the port's Free luggage service. We were flying out of SeaTac on Delta at 1:10 and were told this was the first week to use this service. It worked perfectly for us. We had to fill out the request and flight info to return it to customer service desk by Monday noon (Juneau port day). On Friday evening we had our luggage tags and our boarding passes. Your Stewart will even weigh your luggage if you need them to. We used the princess transfer from port to SeaTac and was dropped off at the terminals. We were able to go straight to TSA check in. WHen we arrived in Charlotte, NC last night, our luggage arrived with us. There were no issues and was very pleased. It was nice to disembark and not have to look for our luggage.

Had exactly the same experience disembarking HAL Oosterdam Sun., 05/21/17 with 1:16 flight out of SeaTac on JetBlue to NYC.

Royal carribean isn't participating in this as of yet. Anyone have any hotels near downtown by the space needle that will hold our luggage for us???

how long do you want them to hold your luggage? The port at pier 66 holds luggage until 3pm; or are you looking to book a hotel that is close to space needle, then go sightseeing?

Royal carribean isn't participating in this as of yet. Anyone have any hotels near downtown by the space needle that will hold our luggage for us???

On a different thread, a CC member posted the following:

" Luggage storage at pierconcierge is from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cost is $3.00 per bag, cash only. Ifyou need luggage storage past 3:30, the Edgewater Hotel would be your best bet.Right next to P66, $5.00/bag, unlimited hours. (Phone:206-728-7000, http://www.edgewaterhotel.com/)The number I have for the Cruise Seattle Concierge is (206) 441-6666. Theprices were valid the last cruise season (2016) and are probably the same thisyear but I haven't checked on that lately. "

The pier luggage storage is available at both P91 and P66. Pier 91 is a few miles from downtown, which would be a bit of a hike back. Pier 66 is by Pike Market, I think. I have not had a chance to call the Edgewater to find out if they are offering luggage storage this year. Someone mentioned one of the museums by the Space Needle will store luggage as well. Will see if I can find that.

eta: Chihuly Garden and Glass has bag storage for guests (except for laptops, cameras or anything of high value). They also offer a combo ticket to the Space Needle Observation Deck. Chihuly is right next to the Space Needle, so that might be an option for you.

Edited by jk04

I surely hope to be able to use this service next week. Our flight back is not until 10pm. That's a lot of time after disembarking for site seeing.

Our flight back is 10:45pm and I hope they will accommodate that too. Will there by any maximum allowance of bags? We'll have 2-3 checked bags the way I figure now, only because I don't want to carry another one around town all day. Unless I do just store a carry-on at the Edgewater for the day.

Our flight back is 10:45pm and I hope they will accommodate that too. Will there by any maximum allowance of bags? We'll have 2-3 checked bags the way I figure now, only because I don't want to carry another one around town all day. Unless I do just store a carry-on at the Edgewater for the day.

That is probably going to be too early a departure to make it an acceptable acceptance. I believe you will find that the earliest departure that they'll handle is either 11 or 11:30. To the best of my knowledge there is no maximum number of bags as the baggage fees are the individual travelers' responsibility.

Tom

That is very unfortunate.

Carnival also now confiscates bouquets that people have bought at Pike Place Market and brought with them to the pier. One cruiser told me that they were told that flowers had to be "bought from a certified florist", whatever that is. Confiscating flowers? Okay, I understand the rationale behind not allowing bottled water (people buying that, emptying out the water and replacing it with vodka and then resealing the bottles) but haven't figured out the logic behind the confiscation of flowers! :o

Tom

I am curious......did anyone notice the transport used for luggage to the airport while leaving the ship?

Same type of vehicle that transports the luggage from the airport to Pier 91, a U-Haul rental truck. I assume Pier 66 uses the same type of vehicle, but don't know for sure.

Tom

Same type of vehicle that transports the luggage from the airport to Pier 91, a U-Haul rental truck. I assume Pier 66 uses the same type of vehicle, but don't know for sure.

Tom

Thanks. I am just exploring the possibility that the stuff I can't put out the night before because I will need in the morning can be added to the truck before it departs. ( A patient lift)

Thanks. I am just exploring the possibility that the stuff I can't put out the night before because I will need in the morning can be added to the truck before it departs. ( A patient lift)

I'm assuming here that you will be departing/arriving at Pier 91 in Seattle (cruising on Princess, Holland-America, Carnival, Celebrity, or Royal Carribean.) Procedures for Norwegian at Pier 66 may differ, but I suspect they will be the same. That said, the patient lift will not go on the luggage truck. (I'm assuming here that you, or whomever will use it, will need the device to disembark the ship the morning you arrive in Seattle.) If you have purchased a transfer from the pier to SeaTac and the person using the device will be able to climb onto a bus, then the device will be loaded into the luggage area of the bus that he/she boards. If they are not able to do that then there will be an ADA bus with a lift at the pier. Sometimes, for one reason or another, an ADA taxi is used also. Of course, if this is the case, you will also probably have purchased a transfer from the airport to the pier so you'll be familiar with the procedures.

I hope that you have a safe journey from home to Seattle and have a great cruise to our 50th state! Alaska cruises are very popular and I have run into people going on their 10th cruise to Alaska. I even met one man who was going on his 20th Alaskan cruise! :o I told him that he either had a very bad memory or he really enjoyed going to Alaska. ;p

Tom

I'm assuming here that you will be departing/arriving at Pier 91 in Seattle (cruising on Princess, Holland-America, Carnival, Celebrity, or Royal Carribean.) Procedures for Norwegian at Pier 66 may differ, but I suspect they will be the same. That said, the patient lift will not go on the luggage truck. (I'm assuming here that you, or whomever will use it, will need the device to disembark the ship the morning you arrive in Seattle.) If you have purchased a transfer from the pier to SeaTac and the person using the device will be able to climb onto a bus, then the device will be loaded into the luggage area of the bus that he/she boards. If they are not able to do that then there will be an ADA bus with a lift at the pier. Sometimes, for one reason or another, an ADA taxi is used also. Of course, if this is the case, you will also probably have purchased a transfer from the airport to the pier so you'll be familiar with the procedures.

I hope that you have a safe journey from home to Seattle and have a great cruise to our 50th state! Alaska cruises are very popular and I have run into people going on their 10th cruise to Alaska. I even met one man who was going on his 20th Alaskan cruise! :o I told him that he either had a very bad memory or he really enjoyed going to Alaska. ;p

Tom

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I have probably been to Alaska 30 times...and yes I do love it . 😊

The lift breaks down into smaller pieces so I was hoping to add it. Definitely a play it by ear proposition.

We will be using the light rail after sight seeing. Worked well last time we were in Seattle.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I have probably been to Alaska 30 times...and yes I do love it . 😊

The lift breaks down into smaller pieces so I was hoping to add it. Definitely a play it by ear proposition.

We will be using the light rail after sight seeing. Worked well last time we were in Seattle.

Sean, there is absolutely no reason for you to even come close to being embarrassed about having been to Alaska that many times. Let's face it, you go on a vacation to relax, enjoy yourself and feel refreshed. If sailing to Alaska does that for you, that's absolutely a good reason to go back again and again! If somebody else feels you should do something else, then they should volunteer to fund the trip that they think you should go on! As long as you're footing the bill, it's nobody else's business where and how often you go.

I hope that this Alaska trip is better than the last one and not quite as good as the one after it! ;p;p

Tom

Carnival also now confiscates bouquets that people have bought at Pike Place Market and brought with them to the pier. One cruiser told me that they were told that flowers had to be "bought from a certified florist", whatever that is. Confiscating flowers? Okay, I understand the rationale behind not allowing bottled water (people buying that, emptying out the water and replacing it with vodka and then resealing the bottles) but haven't figured out the logic behind the confiscation of flowers! :o

Tom

Yes, that is weird. I know that some people like bringing flowers aboard and Carnival let them 3 years ago.

I have read that Southwest participates in the Seattle port to airport luggage program but does anybody know if you will be checked in and get a boarding pass as you usually have to check in 24 hours ahead to get a boarding number?

I have read that Southwest participates in the Seattle port to airport luggage program but does anybody know if you will be checked in and get a boarding pass as you usually have to check in 24 hours ahead to get a boarding number?

Yes, Southwest does participate in that program and, to the best of my knowledge, you are checked in and receive a boarding pass.

Tom