Western or eastern Caribbean

MissMarmalade

It depends on what I looking for. If I going for adventures such as dirt bikes, ziplining, shopping etc, I would choose western. If I am going for the beaches, snorkeling and scenery I would go eastern. That is not to say that you can't find either of the things mentioned on both western and eastern itineraries.

Which do you prefer if both eastern and western Caribbean were the same price? I've always done the western Caribbean and am curious what others think about the eastern Caribbean itinerary

I prefer eastern. To me, the islands on the eastern side tend provide the experience of the Caribbean culture to a greater extent than the western side. Don't slam me. Jamaica and Grand Cayman are great, but Belize and Cozumel and Roatan are more central american in culture than the island lifestyle of the Caribbean.

We used to do the western Caribbean all of the time. But we decided to try something different and I'm glad we did. The eastern Caribbean has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. But there's more than just beaches. Many of these islands are very very old and have a lot of history and beautiful historic buildings dating hundreds of years back. And the southern Caribbean is just as interesting. In Aruba we rode ATV's all over the island and saw a church hundreds of years old, a beautiful natural rock bridge overlooking the ocean, and swam in the crystal clear waters of a cenote. In St. Marten the island is Dutch on one side and French on the other. We loved trying the food and experiencing the culture on both sides. In San Juan we visited historic old forts that had real dungeons you could go into and explore. Don't think for a minute that eastern or southern Caribbean ports are only about beaches. They are much much more. You should definitely try them, you won't regret it.

... Belize and Cozumel and Roatan are more central american in culture than the island lifestyle of the Caribbean.
Precisely why we've decided to go Western this time.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It depends on what I looking for. If I going for adventures such as dirt bikes, ziplining, shopping etc, I would choose western. If I am going for the beaches, snorkeling and scenery I would go eastern. That is not to say that you can't find either of the things mentioned on both western and eastern itineraries.

Yup, my feelings exactly, cept maybe the shopping. My self, I prefer the eastern, and there's some great duty free shopping for things like jewelry. But, the main reason is the beauty of the beaches and islands. Not as flat as the Western Caribbean. St. Thomas + the French side of St Maarten an absolute must!

We prefer either Eastern or Southern. We like the history and the tours. We also love the nude Orient Beach, although we hang out on the bathing suit side. The beach itself is one of the most beautiful white sand beaches we've ever seen. We love touring St. Thomas. The ride along the top of the mountain is awesome with spectacular views overlooking the islands.

Exactly this. I feel there are more activities and sightseeing opportunities with a Western itinerary, but more beautiful beaches on an Eastern one. If I'm going to do a Western one I'm going to do cave tubing and tours of ruins. Things like that. If I'm doing Eastern, I'm looking for itineraries that have HMC or Grand Turk so that I can have heavenly beach days. So the choice between the two comes down to what type of vacation you are looking for, in my opinion. Personally, I like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wife and I did our first ever cruise last April and we did western on Splendor. We loved it so much we booked the same itinerary again on Glory for next April in 2018. But I think the next cruise after that is going to have to be eastern so we can go to half moon cay and go to St. Thomas just so we can say we've been there. My Parents have been to St. Thomas many times and they said over the years its gotten way over crowded and too touristy taking away from the calm caribbean paradise feeling it used to have.

But as for western, West bay beach on Roatan was the best. I cant wait for our cruise next year.

If you haven't done Eastern, do Eastern! You will enjoy wherever you go. We've done West, East, and Southern, as well as just Mexico. I personally prefer Southern because it is more relaxed, fewer other ships in port. I also don't care for Jamaica. It may be a very beautiful island, but the poverty, begging, and drug issues just turn me off. I'm not fond of the Bahamas, but maybe it's because I have spent weeks there, I feel there's nothing to do except beach time.

Which do you prefer if both eastern and western Caribbean were the same price? I've always done the western Caribbean and am curious what others think about the eastern Caribbean itinerary

We love eastern better.