Best booking strategies

benjaminhuf

What are your best tips for booking a good fare? I've only been on one cruise, and so I'm rather inexperienced, but I used to think that booking late was the way to go. But now I realize that sometimes booking 18 months or even more in advance is the best way to get not just a good fare but a better cabin.

But what are your strategies? And when, in fact, are cruises first released for sale? Is it always at the same time of year? When exactly is that, and how can you find out the exact release day in advance?

Finally, once in a while I've seen lower prices at that "to go" place than at Celebrity's own site, but that's quite rare. Usually the prices at Celebrity are just as good. But if you call up Celebrity and say you've found a lower fare elsewhere, will they usually match it?

Thanks in advance.

What are your best tips for booking a good fare? I've only been on one cruise, and so I'm rather inexperienced, but I used to think that booking late was the way to go. But now I realize that sometimes booking 18 months or even more in advance is the best way to get not just a good fare but a better cabin.

But what are your strategies? And when, in fact, are cruises first released for sale? Is it always at the same time of year? When exactly is that, and how can you find out the exact release day in advance?

Finally, once in a while I've seen lower prices at that "to go" place than at Celebrity's own site, but that's quite rare. Usually the prices at Celebrity are just as good. But if you call up Celebrity and say you've found a lower fare elsewhere, will they usually match it?

Thanks in advance.

I prefer to plan our trips far in advance. Booking early gives you great cabin selection. For most of the cruises that I booked so early, I was usually the one that started the cruise's roll call on cc. For about 25% of those cruises we have found that prices did drop, but for all but one the price drop was prior to final payment and we took advantage of the new low prices. On the one that was after final payment, I called and received an upgrade to aqua.

I realize that booking late, after final payment could give you a great deal, if you are willing to be flexible on which cruise you choose. However, we like to do a lengthy land trip in conjunction with our cruises and booking a few weeks prior to the cruise would complicate that strategy.

After cruising 15 ocean cruises in six years, we have hit most of the must do cruises. We have a cruise to NZ booked for next year and the only other cruise we really want to do is the North Cape of Norway, which X doesn't offer. We will probably do NCL or RCI.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on how flexible you are in terms of dates and where you want to go. We looked at a Venice to Rome Cruise with Celebrity departing June 2017, I kept looking at it with a T/A site and in October 2016 the price came down approx. £500 per person and we booked, the price was never that low again even after final payment date.

I would rather book early to get a good cabin choice, with the itinerary I want.

We have found early booking to be the best. In the itineraries I've booked the Togo site had the best prices (this was always booking a year+ out), and I booked with them. Haven't tried asking celebrity to match it since I've been happy with their services.

We are currently booked on an April 2018 Hawaii itinerary; booked it around sept 2016, and its price dropped dramatically for a few hours in nov 2016. So luckily by using a price monitoring website that alerted us we were able to get the price drop. Now the cruise is a year out and our category is priced at $1,700 pp more than we paid.

So, early booking and price monitoring has been the best bet for us. I don't like booking guarantees so waiting for the last minute price drops (which only happensometimes and are almost always on guarantee rates) doesn't appeal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have found early booking to be the best. In the itineraries I've booked the Togo site had the best prices (this was always booking a year+ out), and I booked with them. Haven't tried asking celebrity to match it since I've been happy with their services.

We are currently booked on an April 2018 Hawaii itinerary; booked it around sept 2016, and its price dropped dramatically for a few hours in nov 2016. So luckily by using a price monitoring website that alerted us we were able to get the price drop. Now the cruise is a year out and our category is priced at $1,700 pp more than we paid.

So, early booking and price monitoring has been the best bet for us. I don't like booking guarantees so waiting for the last minute price drops (which only happensometimes and are almost always on guarantee rates) doesn't appeal to me.

The price only dropped for a few hours! How does price monitoring work? Is a fee charged for that? Are you allowed to mention a name of a service that you like, or perhaps give a hint? Thanks.

It depends on how flexible you are in terms of dates and where you want to go. We looked at a Venice to Rome Cruise with Celebrity departing June 2017, I kept looking at it with a T/A site and in October 2016 the price came down approx. £500 per person and we booked, the price was never that low again even after final payment date.

I would rather book early to get a good cabin choice, with the itinerary I want.

Interesting. Thanks.++

I prefer to plan our trips far in advance. Booking early gives you great cabin selection. For most of the cruises that I booked so early, I was usually the one that started the cruise's roll call on cc. For about 25% of those cruises we have found that prices did drop, but for all but one the price drop was prior to final payment and we took advantage of the new low prices. On the one that was after final payment, I called and received an upgrade to aqua.

I realize that booking late, after final payment could give you a great deal, if you are willing to be flexible on which cruise you choose. However, we like to do a lengthy land trip in conjunction with our cruises and booking a few weeks prior to the cruise would complicate that strategy.

After cruising 15 ocean cruises in six years, we have hit most of the must do cruises. We have a cruise to NZ booked for next year and the only other cruise we really want to do is the North Cape of Norway, which X doesn't offer. We will probably do NCL or RCI.

Booking far in advance does seem like a good idea. After all, if you change your mind you can always get a full refund on the deposit.

Whether booking early or late, I always use a travel agent since mine pays me to do so. I get extra OBC every time and it's usually a good amount. On the cruise we booked last week I get an extra $900 which I can take off the ship with me if I don't use it. (Granted it was a PS and pretty pricey which is why the extra OBC is so much.)

Are you allowed to mention a name of a service that you like, or perhaps give a hint? Thanks.

I don't think we can mention any services, but I'm sure if you did a Google search for cruise it wouldn't tell you to go fish.

Like many others we book early, often on board for those extra perks or credit and then transfer it to our TA for those benefits too. Then I just keep a watch on things for drops. Roll calls are a good place to share price drop info. Our last two cruises there were big drops after final payment and while it meant we could have gone cheaper, we did get our cabins upgraded, once from1A to A1 and once from 2B to C3. If you find the cruise you like with a price you can deal with and a cabin you like, book it and then watch.

Location & Timing.

I have been sailing +40 years and have seen the Good, the Bad & the Ugly when it comes to good cruise fares. I live in Florida which helps in getting last minute special fares; no air travel required. Here is what I suggest:

Find best TA's on line and sign up for their weekly specials. I have a couple I use but cannot disclose on CC.

Be flexible.

Check cruise deals weekly

Determine number of cabins unsold on cruises you are interested; more cabins unsold near sailing date, better cruise price.

When you see great deal book ASAP. I have seen deals gone in several hours

Examples of incredible deals I received last two years:

HAL Veendam, Vista Suite, 15 day Caribbean, $65/day/person.

Oceania Riviera, Verandah, 10 day Caribbean, $1,350/person with $1,000 cabin credit, free internet, prepaid tips

Princess Star, inside cabin upgraded to outside, 10 day Caribbean, $499 per person

Celebrity Equinox, 10 day Caribbean, $145/day/person, Conceige, prepaid tips, free drinks, $600 cabin credit.

Like many others we book early, often on board for those extra perks or credit and then transfer it to our TA for those benefits too. Then I just keep a watch on things for drops. Roll calls are a good place to share price drop info. Our last two cruises there were big drops after final payment and while it meant we could have gone cheaper, we did get our cabins upgraded, once from1A to A1 and once from 2B to C3. If you find the cruise you like with a price you can deal with and a cabin you like, book it and then watch.

Wait. So even after final payment you can try to negotiate an upgrade if the fare drops? Does your travel agent do that, or do you do that? How would such a conversation even go? "We know it's after final payment, but the fare has dropped on our cabin category, and we were hoping for an upgrade of some kind....?"

Location & Timing.

I have been sailing +40 years and have seen the Good, the Bad & the Ugly when it comes to good cruise fares. I live in Florida which helps in getting last minute special fares; no air travel required. Here is what I suggest:

Find best TA's on line and sign up for their weekly specials. I have a couple I use but cannot disclose on CC.

Be flexible.

Check cruise deals weekly

Determine number of cabins unsold on cruises you are interested; more cabins unsold near sailing date, better cruise price.

When you see great deal book ASAP. I have seen deals gone in several hours

Examples of incredible deals I received last two years:

HAL Veendam, Vista Suite, 15 day Caribbean, $65/day/person.

Oceania Riviera, Verandah, 10 day Caribbean, $1,350/person with $1,000 cabin credit, free internet, prepaid tips

Princess Star, inside cabin upgraded to outside, 10 day Caribbean, $499 per person

Celebrity Equinox, 10 day Caribbean, $145/day/person, Conceige, prepaid tips, free drinks, $600 cabin credit.

Wow, those are amazing deals. Maybe a reason to retire to Florida?

Which was your favorite of those cruises in terms of the service on the ship, food, etc.?

Wow, those are amazing deals. Maybe a reason to retire to Florida?

Which was your favorite of those cruises in terms of the service on the ship, food, etc.?

Oceania has best food. Everyday you can get lobster tails, crab legs, filets, jumbo shrimp, lamb chops, etc plus the four speciality restaurants, French, Italian, Asian and Steakhouse are all 5 star and included in price of cruise.

I like service on Celebrity.

We book about a year to 15 months in advance. We have restrictions on when we can cruise because of when we can take vacation time, so we always have to book during prime season. We also book multiple cabins (3) so we like to have the pick for where our cabins are located. When possible, we want to be able to have our balcony partitions between cabin opened and we prefer mid-ship and close to an elevator. I find a cruise where I can live with the price if it doesn't go down. I contact our TA, although we booked our first Med cruise while on another cruise and transferred it to our TA when we got home. At that time, you got a better perks for booking on board than you get now. We use either the additional money off a balcony cabin if sailing Royal or the one upgrade if sailing Celebrity. When we booked our first Celebrity cruise (for this upcoming June), we got all four perks. Doing the math, we were better off taking the perks. In addition, we got additional OBC from our TA. We got the OBC, free wifi, Premium drink package, and paid gratuities. Upon checking on this cruise periodically, I discovered a price drop. I called my TA and found that I would still get the four perks and be able to get the price drop. It feels good that we're able to get the cabins we wanted, the perks and to get a reduced price. We plan our cruise ALL year and when we board the ship, there will be very little expense for us. This will be the first time in several years that we have used ship sponsored excursions but because of the OBC's, we will probably use them to book some of these to get us to a beach or to book an excursion that doesn't include a BIG bus circling an island with multiple stops for photo ops. After final payment, I no longer watch for a price drop because we wouldn't get a discount and we don't really have the luxury of getting an upgrade because it would involve 3 cabins instead of one and we would lose our preferred location.

We book as early as possible, usually as soon as the new itineraries are released. We've yet to see the price drop below the initial price for our particular bookings. In addition to benefiting from the lowest price, we also get our choice of cabins.

If we lived in Florida we might approach things differently and grab last minute discounted fares when and if they pop up, but flying from Ottawa dictates a different approach.

Thanks in advance.

When a TA is offering a rate lower than Celebrity, it is because it is part of a group rate. Celebrity will not match it for an individual cabin, but would offer the group rate if you and many friends created a large enough group!

We also book early and try to book on board a cruise. I just keep checking Celebrity website and specials that show up. We book Aqua or Sky Suites. Booking mostly Sky Suites. Our last cruise Asia Jan 2017 might have been the 1st time we might have gotten a better deal near sailing. That being said we needed air to and from Asia, 5 nights hotel before and 5 nights at the new Shanghai Disney after. I just cant leave everything to last minute. Our next cruise we had a very nice A1 cabin with the large balcony. It was right after final payment some sky suites came available. For a sky suite we got a great deal. That's another thing I do is I'm always looking if a better cabin or suite location comes available. I email my TA and she changes cabin for us.

When I have seen price drops I call my TA and ask. If it is before final payment you can usually get booked at the lower rate without too much trouble. After final payment... no refunds but the first time it happened was on an Alaska cruise last July and when I called the TA I was told "too bad, nothing we can do..." That was about an $800 drop on a 7 night cruise. Then it happened again on a 12 night Med cruise and I emailed and got a similar response. I replied to that with the information that people on our roll call were getting upgrades and I was not happy with the TA, a big online one and reminded them I had booked 6 cruises with them in the past few years including a family trip that was 4 cabins and I would be happy to just use another TA going forward and if need be another cruise line. I got a polite reply that said "we see your point, we will escalate it". A few days later I got a phone call offering the upgrade from1A to Aqua 1. Fine but we were traveling with friends who booked the same day, same agent, same price etc. They got both of us moved up no problems. Fast forward to a few months ago and our 14 night Asia cruise price dropped about $800, again after final payment. I had indeed switched online TAs so I called the new one and with in 15 minutes they had us re-booked into C3. She could have gotten us an Aqua 2 but we were traveling with cousins from the UK who could not make the change and we wanted to be able to dine together so we "settled" for C3.. so when you see a drop, compare it to what you including OBC from the TA, perks from X, etc and if there is a real difference call your TA and ask nicely. The final decision rests with Celebrity but a good TA can get it done for you. So, if you find a price you like, book early, pick a cabin you like and then check often for drops.

I don't think we can mention any services, but I'm sure if you did a Google search for cruise it wouldn't tell you to go fish.

I have not had much luck going cr-- fishing lately. Don't buy too many credits and be willing to check the prices on your own to make sure they're accurate.

When I have seen price drops I call my TA and ask. If it is before final payment you can usually get booked at the lower rate without too much trouble. After final payment... no refunds but the first time it happened was on an Alaska cruise last July and when I called the TA I was told "too bad, nothing we can do..." That was about an $800 drop on a 7 night cruise. Then it happened again on a 12 night Med cruise and I emailed and got a similar response. I replied to that with the information that people on our roll call were getting upgrades and I was not happy with the TA, a big online one and reminded them I had booked 6 cruises with them in the past few years including a family trip that was 4 cabins and I would be happy to just use another TA going forward and if need be another cruise line. I got a polite reply that said "we see your point, we will escalate it". A few days later I got a phone call offering the upgrade from1A to Aqua 1. Fine but we were traveling with friends who booked the same day, same agent, same price etc. They got both of us moved up no problems. Fast forward to a few months ago and our 14 night Asia cruise price dropped about $800, again after final payment. I had indeed switched online TAs so I called the new one and with in 15 minutes they had us re-booked into C3. She could have gotten us an Aqua 2 but we were traveling with cousins from the UK who could not make the change and we wanted to be able to dine together so we "settled" for C3.. so when you see a drop, compare it to what you including OBC from the TA, perks from X, etc and if there is a real difference call your TA and ask nicely. The final decision rests with Celebrity but a good TA can get it done for you. So, if you find a price you like, book early, pick a cabin you like and then check often for drops.

Useful stories! Many thanks.++

I have not had much luck going cr-- fishing lately. Don't buy too many credits and be willing to check the prices on your own to make sure they're accurate.

Thanks. Do you know anything about the plum site?