Any loyal Carnival cruisers tried NCL?

thegoodlife247

I would like to thank everyone for all the comparisons. I know that everyone has different views on what makes a vacation "worth it". I didn't mean for this to become a price war comparison. The only reason we are leaning towards NCL is the price. Here is the comparison for a Carnival cruise the same week that has similar amenities we are wanting for our DD.

Cruise Carnival Magic ( 7 day from PC ) NCL Getaway (7 day from Miami)

Base Price $2665 (inside or OV) $2556 (inside)

Drinks $143 SODA ONLY $200 gratuity for UBP

Gratuities $272 $294

Total $3080 (no alcohol incl) $3050 (alcohol incl)

I would like to thank everyone for all the comparisons. I know that everyone has different views on what makes a vacation "worth it". I didn't mean for this to become a price war comparison. The only reason we are leaning towards NCL is the price. Here is the comparison for a Carnival cruise the same week that has similar amenities we are wanting for our DD.

Gratuities $272 $294

I'd go NCL in a heartbeat for the same price, especially since it includes drinks which is $500+ more with Carnival. And sometimes it's just fun trying something different.

• 5 weeks later...

With NCL it is truly unlimited drinks unlike Carnival who sets the limit at 15 alcoholic beverages per day... which I know many would argue they can't drink that many but if it's nice not to have to worry about keeping track

QUOTE=beerman2;53552576]I agree wholeheartedly that NCL is essentially free. There is only a handful that want to disagree because you pay about $100.00 in gratuities.

I would love to drink for 100.00 gratuity for a week on Carnival. Our Cheers package in May for an 8 day is going to cost 900.00. Which in essence is what it costs more on Carnival than it would on NCL for the same length cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly, for me it was the poor entertainment on Carnival that made me want to change lines. IMHO blue man group I saw on Epic and the shows on getaway and escape were great! I found much more in the way of activities like the ropes course!

QUOTE=thegoodlife247;53649750]I would like to thank everyone for all the comparisons. I know that everyone has different views on what makes a vacation "worth it". I didn't mean for this to become a price war comparison. The only reason we are leaning towards NCL is the price. Here is the comparison for a Carnival cruise the same week that has similar amenities we are wanting for our DD.

Gratuities $272 $294

We sailed to Alaska on NCL. Before we left port there were problems. We were a day late leaving because of mechanical issues. As a consolation prize they had Bill Cosby come in. The problem was we are three and they would only give us two tickets. I thought it must be a mistake but NO! We passed on the show and because we left late missed Juneau, the major stop. We had two excursions planned and missed them both. The other two stops were minor and although lovely not Juneau.

I complained and got NOTHING. I WOULD NEVER STEP FOOT ON NCL AGAIN, EVEN IF IT WAS FREE

The cabin was okay. The specialty restaurants were a waste of money. The was NO chocolate melting cake.

It was not fun. The passengers were too low key and not very friendly.

I love Carnival. They have a loyal customer for life.

We love the "Freestyle Cruising" concept. You had the option to dress up for dinner in the MDR and were not turned away because you decided to wear a t-shirt and shorts instead. They have a nice laid back atmosphere. I can not compare NCL to any other line as they are the only line we have cruised on.

Our first cruise was on NCL Sky in 2012. We had 2 balcony rooms, 1 for us and 1 for the teenagers. We loved the ship, the crew was awesome, the food was great. We had a great time. Would sail on her again. :D

In 2015, we sailed on the Getaway. We had 2 mini suite balcony rooms. The rooms were just a bit larger than your normal balcony room. We thought the food was mediocre compared to the Sky. We did not feel like they utilize large spaces on the ship very well because some of the activities we did were crowded due to areas they were held in. The Getaway offered more in terms of activities like the ropes course and climbing wall which we enjoyed. The pool was the same size as the one on the Sky but for 4000 people instead of 2000 and was always overcrowded. Would not sail on the Getaway again. :(

That being said, we are gonna give Carnival a try. They are the only cruise line that sails out of our home port. We are booked on the Ecstasy in October.

My kids and I think NCL is no different the Carnival. NCL has Freestyle. Carnival has My time dining (or what ever it is called on carnival) When we were on Carnival the dress code to dine was just a theory. They both have entertainment and basically the same activities, same types of food. Those are all subjective.

My first cruise on Getaway the free at sea was truly free... at that time they had just started the perks and were not charging any gratuities... however, I heard from some on the ship on my Escape cruise they started charging it for the beverage package because most people were choosing it and not tipping the servers so they changed the free to include the 18% .. which is still a great deal to me!

QUOTE=quickrate;53548274]Big difference here! We are talking about difference between NCL's ultimate drink package which they are offering as a perk which you pay the Grat. upfront. Example, 13 day cruise for 2 of us on NCL with drink package as perk, $428 which is the service charge. 13 day cruise on Carnival with cheers package at $55 a day per person, $1430!! You are right, they don't add Grat. at bar if you have paid for cheer package, you paid enough already!! I am a huge Carnival fan, 27 cruises with them, this thread pertains to loyal Carnival cruisers trying NCL which we are in April 2018 for a TA, the topic turned to drink package that NCL offers as a free perk and the arguement that the perk isn't free because they add service charge upfront.I was simply pointing out that the NCL perk was in essence free.

Pat

We love the "Freestyle Cruising" concept. You had the option to dress up for dinner in the MDR and were not turned away because you decided to wear a t-shirt and shorts instead.

That depends on the MDR you choose to dine in. If you choose the aft dining room you most certainly will be turned away if you arrive in shorts and a t-shirt. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

That depends on the MDR you choose to dine in. If you choose the aft dining room you most certainly will be turned away if you arrive in shorts and a t-shirt. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Not if you dine in the Manhattan room on the Escape. It's the larger, aft dining room and shorts and t shirt are OK.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Escape and Sky are exceptions; aft MDR shorts and t-shirts are fine. Not sure about the Getaway/Breakaway.

Not if you dine in the Manhattan room on the Escape. It's the larger, aft dining room and shorts and t shirt are OK.

The Manhattan on the Sun & Epic is long pants only. The Taste (mid MDR) allows shorts and t-shirts. If they now allow lazy people to dine in the Manhattan as well then that's just another reason never to sail NCL again........on top of the other 27 reasons. ;)

The Manhattan on the Sun & Epic is long pants only. The Taste (mid MDR) allows shorts and t-shirts. If they now allow lazy people to dine in the Manhattan as well then that's just another reason never to sail NCL again........on top of the other 27 reasons. ;)

Just stated the facts about my personal experience on the Escape. As far as I know, it's been that way ever since she debuted. As a matter of fact, only two venues require long pants, Bayamo and LeBistro.

It's obvious you have never sailed on the Escape and you're prejudiced against NCL for whatever reason based upon your experience on other ships in their line. From my personal experience comparing 18 Carnival cruises over 15 different ships versus the Escape, the primary areas that Carnival excelled were in the various lunch time options such as Guy's, Blue Iguana, Mongolian Wok and Cucina del Capitano. I also preferred Carnivals steakhouse to Cagney's, comparing both the quality and presentation of the cuisine as well as the dress code and ambiance.

I have enjoyed both of my Carnival cruises very much, but I am sailing with RCCL this year and I plan to do NCL for my next cruise—both for the sake of trying something new, and because I want to take advantage of the "3rd and 4th guest sail free" offer that Norwegian has for some sailings. If me, my boyfriend, my friend, and her boyfriend all cruise together in one room we can get a mini-suite and split the cost of 2 people 4-ways.

I don't totally understand what you are saying here, could you clarify?

The perks besides the 3/4 sail free are only bestowed upon the first two occupants of the cabin. So, if you choose the drink package as your second perk, only you and your boyfriend would get it. The other two would have to pay for it at 79.00 plus 18% tip per day. Which would add about 1300.00 to the tab.

The perks besides the 3/4 sail free are only bestowed upon the first two occupants of the cabin. So, if you choose the drink package as your second perk, only you and your boyfriend would get it. The other two would have to pay for it at 79.00 plus 18% tip per day. Which would add about 1300.00 to the tab.

That's okay, no one in the group drinks much so we wouldn't be needing an alcohol package anyway :)

Just stated the facts about my personal experience on the Escape. As far as I know, it's been that way ever since she debuted. As a matter of fact, only two venues require long pants, Bayamo and LeBistro.

It's obvious you have never sailed on the Escape and you're prejudiced against NCL for whatever reason based upon your experience on other ships in their line. From my personal experience comparing 18 Carnival cruises over 15 different ships versus the Escape, the primary areas that Carnival excelled were in the various lunch time options such as Guy's, Blue Iguana, Mongolian Wok and Cucina del Capitano. I also preferred Carnivals steakhouse to Cagney's, comparing both the quality and presentation of the cuisine as well as the dress code and ambiance.

As I stated, I have sailed the Epic (x1) and the Sun (x3). No, I have not sailed the Escape and never plan to because as you mentioned, I am highly prejudiced against NCL. But it is not the Escape per say but because of NCL policies in general which would be present on the Escape as well as the rest of the NCL fleet. My experience with Carnival (10 ships and 12 sailings) leads me to agree with you on the lunch time options (except the Cucina which I found to be bland) and I also agree the Carnival Steakhouse is the best I have tasted at sea between 5 different lines.

We're just back from our first cruise on Norwegian, having mainly sailed Carnival in the past. I would definitely book another Norwegian cruise! We were a party of 10 on the Escape and everyone had a ball! We had three people with us who had never cruised who thought it was one of the best vacations they ever took. Of the seven of us who had cruised before, we all agreed we thought that the food was the best we'd ever had on a cruise ship and the entertainment was top notch. Our young adult children took full advantage of the beverage package that was included with our fare. They also did the ropes course, zip line, pool slides, mini-golf and bowling, in addition to all of evening options (comedy, shows, dueling pianos, parties, etc.)

For a large group of varied ages this was the perfect ship. If it were just my husband I cruising I would probably pick a smaller ship as we thought it was just too big for us.