Rome/Eastern Med. Cruise 6/18

nyjustus2

I know this is way in advance, but this is the first cruise we are taking that isn't the Caribbean!

We sail on 6/7/18. I believe we are planning to leave NY on 6/5 in the evening, arriving 6/6 a.m. Does this give us enough time to see a bit of Rome or should we come a day earlier?

Also looking for any information that will make our trip more interesting and fun! We've never been to Rome, so we want to fit in as much as possible in a short time.

Thank you!!!

We've been to Rome a number of times and we're arriving on October 6th for a cruise embarking on the 11th. We just can't get enough of Rome!

If this is your first flight to Europe, you don't know how your body will handle jet lag. Everyone is different and you may not be in any condition to explore on the day of arrival...or even the following day. If your schedule allows...and you'd really like to enjoy what the city has to offer, consider arriving 3 -4 days before your cruise.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Wow , was interesting reading this post because besides the dates this is exactly me and family. Our cruise is june 24 th 2018 leaving rome. And we are from NY and will be 1st cruise NOT in the caribbean. This post mirrored my thoughts and what i wanted to ask lol.

I'll pile on and say 2 full days is a minimum. Rome is truly a wonderful place, and you will want to get a good taste, not a little bite.

I second what CruiserBruce stated. We stayed 3 nights/2 full days in 2016 and plan on doing the same next year. There is just too much to see and do in Rome. You're probably spending a fair amount of $'s on this trip so you might as well get your money's worth. :) Rome is a fascinating city and I hope you enjoy your 1st European cruise!

If you can do one more day earlier, go for it. Like others have said, jet lag can be a bitch and you don't have any current frame of reference for how your body will handle it. That first day, don't try to do too much, but keep outdoors as much as possible. Your mind will be a little mushy, so going on a tour where you have some guide talking at you may not be fun. Wander around, stop at a cafe on a piazza for lunch, relax, let your body adjust. Then, go at it harder the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Rome is amazing. So much to see and do. Go as many days early as possible, 2-4 days if you can. Try and get a hotel in a central location, one of my favorite locations is near the Pantheon. Love the old part of Rome with its narrow alleys. Rome is not that big and very walk-able if no health issues. Taxi's and trains also available. There is so much information on the boards here for things to do and tours, hotel recommendations, private car services (for tours and transfers airport/hotel/port), resturants, pretty much anything. We love walking everywhere in Rome and enjoying the sights, sounds and people. The local people understand enough english and will always try and communicate. Make a list of sights you want to visit and plan out your days based upon the area of Rome (one day near the Colosseum and Forum, etc another near the Vatican, Pantheon and Spanish Steps, etc as examples).

Another suggestion is to book hotels early. Sometimes if I can't decide where to stay I will reserve 2 or 3 hotels until we narrow down our plans - then cancel the extra hotel rooms months before our check-in date. Most hotels in Rome have a small number of rooms and fill up pretty quickly.

Take time and enjoy all Rome has to offer. We can't get enough of it. Our last cruise in Oct 2016 we stayed at Albergo Senato (next to the Pantheon) and used Rome Cabs and RomeinLimo for transfers.