Help! Transport from Newark to Cape liberty cruise port??

LegalCat

NOT uber/lyft

Is there a taxi stand for a regular taxi? Is it a flat fee?

Other options if I haven't pre booked?

Shuttle?

We are 2 people. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are plenty of taxi's available at both the airport and cruise port. It is not a flat rate. The last time we sailed from Cape Liberty we used Dial 7 Limo Service from the hotel to the port and then to the airport. It was a flat rate and we were very happy with their service.

We stayed at the Hilton in Newark. They called a taxi for us. It was expensive, as we knew it would be. Maybe around $50. We had hoped to share a ride with a member of our Roll Call, but that didn't work out.

After the cruise, we stood in the taxi line. Had intended to get a Dial 7 cab, but the taxi personnel stuck us in a "no name" cab with a young guy that almost got us killed! :eek: Very scary ride back to the hotel...and even more expensive!

The reality is that Uber and Lyft will cost considerably less then a taxi. But since you say "Not" to those options then your easiest option is to simply grab a regular taxi. We spend a lot of time in the NYC area (DD lives in the city) and love Uber.

Hank

I've been told numerous times that Uber/Lyft cannot pick up at the Airport ? Also people in my roll call say that they ended up paying around the same with Uber for other trips (from hotel to port) that they would have paid with a taxi..... So for those of you who are saying to use Uber, do you know for a fact that they are allowed to pick up inside the airport in NJ?

What did you pay with dial7

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the hotel to the port was just under $70. From the port to the airport just under $80. Both included tolls and tips. Not inexpensive but well worth it to us and the cars were clean and on time. We had been warned not to use a credit card in a taxi in NJ but had no problem with Dial 7.

I've been told numerous times that Uber/Lyft cannot pick up at the Airport ? Also people in my roll call say that they ended up paying around the same with Uber for other trips (from hotel to port) that they would have paid with a taxi..... So for those of you who are saying to use Uber, do you know for a fact that they are allowed to pick up inside the airport in NJ?

I have taken Uber many times to and from EWR. Unless they've changed the rules recently.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forums mobile app

We took a taxi from the Newark Hilton to Cape Liberty and back to the Amtrak terminal. The fare was the same each way. We paid with credit card.

The one thing that stands out is that on our return ride, the driver added a tip to the fare without telling us.

We used uber both ways last September and it was $20-$25 total each way for 4. Yes the picked up / dropped off on airport property.

We used Uber at Newark airport 2 weeks ago. It was very easy. Our driver met us in minutes outside arrivals at baggage claim. We paid 41 dollars for the trip from airport to Staten Island. You can check the cost before fro EWR to cruise port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NOT uber/lyft

Currently Uber and Lyft drivers are allowed on airport property. There is a bill in the NJ senate that circulates every now and then for them to be banned from circling waiting for the app to ping (some politicians want them to wait in a the short term parking & the passengers walk there), but it hasn't happened yet.

Is there a taxi stand for a regular taxi? Is it a flat fee?

Yes there are taxi stands at each arrival deck of the airport, but the fare is not a flat rate. The meter will start ticking with your pick-up fee then charge you by the mile and for any wait time in traffic.Try farefinder.com, the estimated fare range given will be the same range regardless if there is 1 person or 4 in the taxi.

Other options if I haven't pre booked?

None really as there are no really near the port public transportation options. BUT you might try asking in your roll call if any of the other passengers would pick you & yours up at the airport for gas money.

Shuttle?

Most must be pre-arranged so try this link airportshuttles.com to compare their rates to what the cruise line or a taxi will charge. If you can make arrangements with others in your roll call this can be a very affordable way to go as some of the companies offer up to a 24 person private shuttle with enough room for a large suitcase plus a carry-on a piece.

We are 2 people. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Good- luck, and enjoy the cruise.

If I understand your question correctly, you are flying in the morning of the cruise. While it may be more expensive, a Celebrity transfer will be an easy choice - put your luggage on the bus and head for the ship. As others have said, Uber and Lyft both seem to service the airport, otherwise a taxi or one of the shuttle services mentioned would be helpful. If you are flying in the day before, there are several hotels nearby that offer a shuttle from the airport to the hotel then from the hotel to the port - we like the Country Inn and Suites.

If you are cutting it close on time based on your arrival at EWR, a taxi is your best bet. Get off the plane, grab your bags and go.

You are certainly free to follow you instincts and pay a regular taxi. But currently, Uber is permitted to pick up at EWR (it has been that way for some time) and here is a link to their specific information...where you can also get cost estimates:

https://www.uber.com/airports/ewr/ The current estimated fare from EWR to the port is $15-$19 which is probably about half what you would pay with a regular taxi. What can be very frustrating with a taxi is to get to the port and be stuck in a traffic jam as the cars wait for others to unload. If in a taxi...that meter keeps running while you are waiting. The poor Uber driver gets screwed with waiting time, since the fare is calculated by Uber in advance. That happened to us last year when we used Uber from Manhattan over to Red Hook (the Port in Brooklyn). We sat in traffic just outside the port...for about 10 minutes. Being a nice guy I gave our Uber driver a nice tip...although tipping Uber drivers is not required.

What is confusing about Uber is that they may sometimes have "surge" pricing at certain locations. This happens when demand exceeds supply and Uber decides to charge a higher rate. If this happens, the surge multiplier will show on your phone when you use the app to summon a car...and you can always cancel the car and use a taxi (or Lyft).

Have to agree that many taxis in NYC and the greater NYC area really do suck. Some are nice...but many are dirty, worn, etc. Uber cars are usually in excellent condition and spotless because if they are not...the driver will likely get some bad ratings from passengers which can cost him/her their job working for Uber. On the other hand, if you get in a NY/NJ taxi and tell the driver their car is dirty or a mess....the result may not be pretty :(.

The thing about both Uber and Lyft is they do require that you have a Smartphone and you need to set up your account (in advance). One also needs to have some degree of comfort in using their smartphone and understanding how the "app" works. In our experience, cruise ships does seem to attract a fair number of cruisers who lack this skill or knowledge....although one would expect that will change over time. I had to smile at a post here, a few months ago, when a frequent HAL cruiser posted the statement, "why would I even need a Smartphone?"

And finally we would offer this small piece of advice. It is almost silly to worry about whether Uber or Lyft is allowed to pick up at a certain airport or cruise port. The beauty of the app is that it will show you your drivers picture, license number and the time until he/she will arrive at the pick-up point. If there is an issue where they are not permitted to pick up...the app will tell you when you summon a car. In that case, you simply grab a taxi.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner