Wine in Santiago

Reina del Mar

Please can anyone share where to purchase wine before a cruise from Valparaiso ??

(Bottles and boxed)

Staying at Sheraton Hotel Convention Centre Santiago and using Princess transfers to Emerald Princess.

Have asked on South America forum but no answers.

Thanks

Hi,its quite a long drive to the port.The bus went thru wine country and we stopped for lunch on the way.They sold wine at this tourist shop come restaurant,but I dont know whether the prices were good or not.Try Santiago,might be more reasonable.I always remember the wine tasting excursions in Aus and NZ,they were twice the price of Tesco back home,lol,cheers,Brian.

Hi,just realised you were asking about Santiago first.I always google the hotels on trip advisor who give links to all shops and restaurants etc in the vicinity,cheers,Brian.

There is a Jumbo store a couple of blocks up Route 66 from the port entrance on the left side. Because of the earthquake in 2010 we never left the port area as we stayed on to return to BA. That Jumbo is sort of like a Super Walmart and is huge. They had a good selection of reasonably priced wine and we stocked up there for the return to BA. There is also a Farmacia in the same building. If you find no other option before you get to the port, that would be where I would go. I believe there was also some wine being sold in the terminal building.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another possibility would be to ask the Concierge at the Sheraton. In BA we did an afternoon tour after our arrival and arranged for the tour company to stop at a wine store. Afterwards, when we explored near our hotel there was a nice wine shop half a block away. Your hotel appears to be somewhat isolated but they can probably recommend a wine store a short cab ride away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Contact the hotel, they will know the closest place to purchase wine, and if it is safe to walk. If you purchased the Princess hotel and transfer package then you have the Princess transfer included.

If you booked the hotel on your own I would suggest you contact on line "The German Pirate", Michel Arnold. He provided us with an excellent private tour and transfer from Santiago to the port. We stopped along the way at various wineries and a giant wine supermarket. He gave a great tour. He will also know all the wine stores in Val. if you put together a group on the roll call his cost isn't much different than the Princess transfer.

Thanks for all replies and suggestions so far.

Have booked hotel and transfer with Princess so unlikely to be able to stop at Valparaiso or en route.

Looked for Jumbo and Lider supermarkets close to hotel..20 minutes or so walking distance so possibly doable.

Tried to email concierge for info..no reply as yet but email address was general Sheraton one not specific to concierge at Santiago.

Hopefully someone who has actually bought wine , within walking distance might come along and share experience.

Thanks again.

Hi,ours was a Princess transfer and did stop in the wine region enroute for lunch.I googled TA and there is a winery 200 yards over the road from you,but it looks like there is a river inbetween,but there is a bridge up the road abit,cheers,Brian.

Thanks, Brian.

Didn't realise transfer included lunch or winery visit. What time is embarkation ?

You're obviously better googling than I am. Could only find a Lider supermarket 20 mins walk from hotel !!

Anything else you can share about hotel, transfer, locality ??

Read there's a Hop On/Off bus stop outside hotel and thought to do a tour on that

Hi,ours was a Princess transfer and did stop in the wine region enroute for lunch.I googled TA and there is a winery 200 yards over the road from you,but it looks like there is a river inbetween,but there is a bridge up the road abit,cheers,Brian.
I did the same but with the highway and the river between the Sheraton and the wine store Everwines I didn't suggest trying to walk there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,its quite a long drive to the port.The bus went thru wine country and we stopped for lunch on the way.They sold wine at this tourist shop come restaurant,but I dont know whether the prices were good or not.Try Santiago,might be more reasonable.I always remember the wine tasting excursions in Aus and NZ,they were twice the price of Tesco back home,lol,cheers,Brian.
Was that the standard transfer or an extra charge transfer/tour?

Was that the standard transfer or an extra charge transfer/tour?

Hi,we were on the Machu Pichu tour prior to flying to Santiago the day before.It was all part of the landtour package,but I would have thought the stopover would be included anyway because we had to pay for lunch there,cheers,Brian.

Thanks, Brian.

Didn't realise transfer included lunch or winery visit. What time is embarkation ?

You're obviously better googling than I am. Could only find a Lider supermarket 20 mins walk from hotel !!

Anything else you can share about hotel, transfer, locality ??

Read there's a Hop On/Off bus stop outside hotel and thought to do a tour on that

Hi,sorry our hotel was different from yours in another part of town.Our stopover wasnt a winery,just a roadside restaurant and tourist shop that sold wine among usual touristy things.I saw the hoho bus stops nearby,they normally stop at shopping malls etc,try viator for booking it and for route etc.i dont know your boarding time,but ours was mid afternoon.We had a city tour of Santiago prior to heading out,perhaps it might be worth a phonecall to Southampton to confirm your itinerary,you could always upgrade maybe.We sailed from Bangkok years ago,thinking we would never see the city as we were heading out in the morning but we were offered a city tour before and jumped at the chance,cheers,Brian.