Alaska on the Ruby

Jaylie

We find we have a conflict with the date of our cruise this summer/fall (sailing out of Seattle). We have to change our cruise from Sept. 2nd to either August 26th or September 16th. Can someone give us advice about which week might be better. We've never been to Alaska. Thanks.

Probably the biggest difference will be the length of the day. In August, you'll have about 2 more hours of daylight than in September. It will also be a little cooler in mid-September, but you have the benefit of it being the end of the season, so perhaps fewer people. If the price is the same, I would recommend August. Just because you'll have more sunlight and more opportunities.

Is the mid-September cruise the last of the season? I've read (no personal experience; we've cruised Alaska in July and August) that by that time many of the shops in the ports are closing down if that is important to you. On the other hand, those still open have great sales.

We find we have a conflict with the date of our cruise this summer/fall (sailing out of Seattle). We have to change our cruise from Sept. 2nd to either August 26th or September 16th. Can someone give us advice about which week might be better. We've never been to Alaska. Thanks.

August 26th is my choice. Late September is the start of the storm season in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska .

We've sailed up to Alaska quite a few times and mostly in September. Early Sept is great and even though we had the time of our lives in a mid to late Sept cruise (Sept 16-26) a few years back, the weather was just incredible. We hit rain for one of the first times up in Alaska and even hit 100 mile an hour winds while in the inside passage. Kind of unheard of in my book but the Captain announced it does happen every so often. We still had an incredibly wonderful cruise but there were days of freezing rain pelting us across the face and then that wind. That ship was was really rocking and rolling. A number of the crew were quite sea sick. Funny thing is, the passengers were not so much affected ... at least nobody really seemed to be. We were warned not to walk on the outer decks and ladies were requested to forego the high heels for dinner. It was a fluke but the only time we've gone that late in the year and this was our experience.

We never go on a cruise outside of the regular school schedule ... in other words, we never go during summer vacation but made an exception this last year for my SIL's 50th birthday. She wanted to go to Alaska and her birthday is in August, so we broke our longstanding rule. We boarded the Grand Princess last fall (August 19-29) where we were forecast to get some rain but generally decent weather conditions. Well, wow! We hit the jackpot. The seas were as calm as could be and for those that have sailed up to Alaska out of SF, well, you know that is a bit of a rarity. We enjoyed several days of bright sunshine and no rain at all. I am almost a convert as to going in August instead of Sept from here on out. The prices are generally better in the shoulder season but you just cannot put a price on experiencing that kind of weather and those calm seas. Again, probably just a fluke but if not early early Sept, I would book a late August instead one that goes into late Sept.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your trip to our most favorite place to cruise. I doubt, once you see it, that it will be your last trip up to the great frontier.

I chose the August 26th cruise for the longer days and better weather. No guarantees, of course, but the odds are with better weather if you go earlier. Last year, I booked a mid-September Alaska cruise and had to cancel at the last minute. I kept an eye on it and they had rain most every day.