ATM at airport

j in tx

Hi, all,

Wondering if there are atms at the airport (FCO). I'm considering arriving on a Sunday when many things are closed, but I'd need access to Euros quickly. I have previously used an atm inside a post office (felt very secure) but it might not be accessable on a Sunday.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

J

• 3 weeks later...

Just be sure you are using an ATM/Bancomat machine and not a Travelex machine that passes itself off as an ATM. If there is no ATM for your bank, you'll have to suck it up and pay a couple of dollars to get that first 100EU. That will get you out the door. Then, head to a Bancomat that your bank does use - be sure you have a list of them of you can find it easily.

Sorry but absolutely no one should ever arrive in Europe without some euro brought from home

Pay whatever it takes just don't arrive without euro

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree.

Find a bank that charges a minimal fee and has a comparatively good exchange rate and bring enough foreign currency to get you to an ATM.

One mistake a lot of rookies make is to assume that the sole bank ATM near a small port will still have money on a Sunday after a ton of cruisers have made withdrawals.

True on the "always have euros when you arrive." But, some leave their common sense at home on vacation ;) They don't think that will be a hundred other people in line at the airport ATM. They don't think that the airport ATM will run out of money. They don't think that the one ATM at the port will run out of money or go OOO.

Someone asked about an ATM at the airport - we answered. How they arrive monetarily is their own issue...

Never had a problem getting euros at the ATM in the airport. I leave on Sunday and will get my euro in Amsterdam during my lay over.. don't worry about atms running out of cash..there are plenty of them in the airport. Have been to Europe many times, lived in London, would go to the continent to exchange my pounds to any currency I needed. Have fun relax and enjoy your vacation.

I always bring some euro from home and whatever the exchange is I don't worry about it

Spending thousands on a vacation so an extra couple dollars to have euro on me when I arrive is of absolutely no consequence to me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have always kept a stash of about 100EU here at home. That way, I have my cash ready to dash out of airport and onto a train or into a taxi and get away from the airport crush. I have enough to get lunch and walk around to find an ATM at my leisure. When I'm leaving, I will make a last stop at an in-town ATM to "top off" my 100EU. It's a small enough amount that I do not care about exchange rate fluxuation between my trips. I don't have any fees, either, so no worries there.

Sorry but absolutely no one should ever arrive in Europe without some euro brought from home

Pay whatever it takes just don't arrive without euro

Having done it a half dozen times in the past 4 years,I would have to take exception to your comment. I plot out my first stop and know where the money is available. Arrive in Amsterdam in June and will get euros there.

Having done it a half dozen times in the past 4 years,I would have to take exception to your comment. I plot out my first stop and know where the money is available. Arrive in Amsterdam in June and will get euros there.

Is the reason you do this because you want a better exchange rate? Or because you don't want to pay a few dollars in fees?

It's more than worth it to me to take money from home.

To each his own

We have a 5 hour layover in Toronto Pearson and I was just planning on using one of their ATMs to take out some Euros. Is that a bad plan for some reason? I thought that would tide me over until I can visit an ATM in Rome.

We have a 5 hour layover in Toronto Pearson and I was just planning on using one of their ATMs to take out some Euros. Is that a bad plan for some reason? I thought that would tide me over until I can visit an ATM in Rome.

I didn't realize ATMs in Toronto gave out euro

If they do it's not a bad plan I guess I just think the small fee ...$7.50 minimum for me ...to get the euro from my bank at home is worth it

I just am of the thinking that I'm not leaving home without 100e minimum on me

My major fear is the airport ATM eating my card and noway for me to get it back in addition to it being an open air ATM that may or may not have security issues

Others will disagree of course but I'm good with the $7.50 for peace of mind

I don't think those are actual ATMs, but those Travelex faux-ATMS. They are cash exchanges, subject to their exchange fees, your bank fees...

But, if you want, go ahead. Sometimes you have to live with what is available to get through.

Truly, I'm not pushing back, but looking for guidance. I was thinking these were Canadian bank multi-currency ATMs:

https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/how-to-bank/fx-map-en.pdf?int_id=Int-ForEx-PearsonMap-E

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/advice-centre/travel.html

If I'm interpreting that correctly, it seems easier than ordering currency from a local bank and trying to take time off during the work week to go get it. I know what you mean about the gouge by travelex. My local bank just isn't being very helpful and I'm thinking they are not going to offer me very favorable rates.

If it's too difficult to deal with your bank then of course an airport ATM makes sense

Perhaps just wait until you get to Europe though in your case

In my case my bank will have them to me at my local branch if I order 1000 e or more with 24 hours for pick up

Or mail it directly to my if under 1000e

I also have an Amex exchange office in town

Not saying their rates are any good but it convenient

My bank is $1.18 to 1E

Amex is probably same or slightly more

Not the best exchange rate at approx .10 more out of my pocket per dollar versus a European ATM machine

Still I like euro on me from home and the euro from previous trips is gone

Also if I order 100 e or 1000e the fee of $7.50 is the same

Of course I still lose that approx .10 per dollar.

Your Not going to get euros from an ATM in Canada.. u would have to go to a currency exchange booth who's rate will be unfavorable. Wait until u get to Rome.

Truly, I'm not pushing back, but looking for guidance. I was thinking these were Canadian bank multi-currency ATMs:

https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/how-to-bank/fx-map-en.pdf?int_id=Int-ForEx-PearsonMap-E

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/advice-centre/travel.html

If I'm interpreting that correctly, it seems easier than ordering currency from a local bank and trying to take time off during the work week to go get it. I know what you mean about the gouge by travelex. My local bank just isn't being very helpful and I'm thinking they are not going to offer me very favorable rates.

To be honest, I've never seen a bank ATM that offered multiple currencies. Possibly CIBC is ahead of the curve. I wonder - do they charge just the standard ATM fee and dole out the currency according to the daily exchange rate or do they charge an additional "exchange" fee? I'd be curious to know.

As others have said, to each his own. For me, I never buy currency in the USA. Before I retired at the end of 2015 I traveled overseas extensively. I never sold currency back when I was leaving a country so I usually had a few of the local currency in my stockpile but usually it wasn't enough to get me much more than a sandwich or a cup of coffee. There are ATMs everywhere including virtually every airport. I also keep a few $100 bills in my wallet so if worse comes to worse I go to a currency exchange kiosk and buy a $100 worth of local currency. Virtually never end up doing that. ATMs are everywhere - use them.