Clothes for South America in January.

I have issues packing , even for Caribbean cruises !!!! Just made weight limits using hold luggage (52lbs..marked heavy) and carry on which was way over the limit, together with huge handbag.

Anyway, have promised husband I will cut down....not sure I can, but will try.

Booked next.cruise on Emerald Princess, Valparaiso to Buenos Aires January 2018 with 2 days pre and 3 days post, so I desperately need help. I appreciate the key is layers .

To begin with, I thought joggers and jeans with trainers ,fleece jackets, gloves and hat: but further reading made me think maybe cropped trousers.....and footwear ?????? What about evening wear ? We have three formal nights...long or short sleeves ??? ...Argh !!!!!!!

Please be kind enough to offer some thoughts.

Many thanks.

I have issues packing , even for Caribbean cruises !!!! Just made weight limits using hold luggage (52lbs..marked heavy) and carry on which was way over the limit, together with huge handbag.

Anyway, have promised husband I will cut down....not sure I can, but will try.

Booked next.cruise on Emerald Princess, Valparaiso to Buenos Aires January 2018 with 2 days pre and 3 days post, so I desperately need help. I appreciate the key is layers .

To begin with, I thought joggers and jeans with trainers ,fleece jackets, gloves and hat: but further reading made me think maybe cropped trousers.....and footwear ?????? What about evening wear ? We have three formal nights...long or short sleeves ??? ...Argh !!!!!!!

Please be kind enough to offer some thoughts.

Many thanks.

January is SUMMER in S. America!

Bring a rain coat and umbrella as this is the rainy season,

Lots of bug spray and summer clothing and you'll be fine.

Look at some weather sites to get an idea what you're getting into. Most likely hot and humid.

To reduce your stuff....

Mix and match your clothes by choosing things that go together.

Bring just enough toiletries, meds etc

Do laundry

Pack for a week and repeat.

Share what can be shared.

Rethink electronics

Good ideas on this thread

Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2379281

Also look at

ladylighttravel.com on how-tos for packing toiletries etc

theviviennefiles.com for color coordinated outfits.

Edited by SadieN

For daytime, I brought mostly summer clothing. For evening, I brought mostly casual dresses, maxi dresses ... really anything that is versatile and can be worn with either flats/sandals or heels. For formal nights, simple cocktail dresses. Also, a cardigan or two for evening, especially for some of the venues that tend to be a bit chilly. I may have packed a very light and foldable windbreaker/rain jacket.

It's SUMMER in the southern hemisphere during our winters. Their "spring" starts in Oct...and summer is Dec-Feb....then fall starts during our "springtime"...

Bring summer clothes!

Really ??

I appreciate January is Summer for South America.

For Cape Horn ???? Average temperature showing 8 degrees by day

Port Stanley,Puerto Montt, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Puerto Madryn showing 15 degrees.on Internet weather sites,

We did a cruise from Port Canaveral, around Cape Horn, and ended in LA several years ago in January, for a total of 46 days. It is summer in South America, Buenos Aires was experiencing a heat wave during our 2 day stay there with temps over 100degrees. And even Cape Horn was a little warmer than expected with temps in the high 30's:D during the day. However, Ushuaia was rainy & cold.

I wore mostly capris & sundresses until we arrived in Ushuaia, then switched to layers with jeans for a few days, then back to summer clothes once we arrived in Valparaiso.

It was an amazing cruise, I would love to do it again!:D

Sherri:)

We did a cruise from Port Canaveral, around Cape Horn, and ended in LA several years ago in January, for a total of 46 days. It is summer in South America, Buenos Aires was experiencing a heat wave during our 2 day stay there with temps over 100degrees. And even Cape Horn was a little warmer than expected with temps in the high 30's:D during the day. However, Ushuaia was rainy & cold.

I wore mostly capris & sundresses until we arrived in Ushuaia, then switched to layers with jeans for a few days, then back to summer clothes once we arrived in Valparaiso.

It was an amazing cruise, I would love to do it again!:D

Sherri:)

Thanks, Sherri...very useful.

Am I to assume open toed sandals with capris and dresses and trainers/walking shoes with jeans ?

Did you take a padded jacket ?

How was the ship during the evenings ? Sleeveless with wraps or long sleeves??

Thanks so much.

Thanks, Sherri...very useful.

Am I to assume open toed sandals with capris and dresses and trainers/walking shoes with jeans ?

Did you take a padded jacket ?

How was the ship during the evenings ? Sleeveless with wraps or long sleeves??

Thanks so much.

Good assumption!:D For me, evenings on the ship feel the same whether I am in the Caribbean or Europe or South America so I wear the same types of clothes. I rarely wear wraps, but will, on occasion, wear long sleeves. Most of my evening wear was sleeveless.

I did not wear a padded jacket (don't own one) but the pullover I used under my rain jacket kept me warm enough. The only time I used it with the jacket was in Ushuaia, we did an outdoor excursion to a protected penguin island and with the drizzling rain plus the spray from the boat, it did get chilly when we were sitting waiting. Once we got hiking through the island, I was fine.

The day we sailed around Cape Horn was beautiful, lots of sunshine and calm seas. I was comfortable in jeans with a long sleeve tshirt and my pullover but my husband wore a heavy hoodie with a knit cap. The captain did say we were fortunate enough to have better weather than usual.:D

I think you need to be prepared for both extremes.:D

Sherri

We went all the way round South America, and in Southern Argentina and Chile it was cold at times. When we were cruising Cape Horn and Glacier Alley for example I've got photos of me on deck wearing my goretex jacket, a fleece, hat and gloves