Not Checking Luggage?

Our departure is at 8:30. I'd like to just take it straight to our cabin and not have to wait on it. I also don't like to have it just sitting in the hall waiting on me. At what time do you think we could board and not have to check our luggage?

Our departure is at 8:30. I'd like to just take it straight to our cabin and not have to wait on it. I also don't like to have it just sitting in the hall waiting on me. At what time do you think we could board and not have to check our luggage?

Ship?

Port?

Date?

This is probably going to depend on how big the X-ray machines are but some of them are big enough to take a full size suitcase. When I arrived for a cruise in Seattle there were no porters outside so I assumed it was a weird port thing and we must drop off inside. Except I could never find anyone and the next thing you know they were shoving my giant suitcase through the X-ray despite my protests that I really really didn't want to carry it on. That was around 1:30pm. No idea if it would have been different earlier. I kept saying I wanted to check it and everyone kept insisting that I keep moving along with boarding. Weirdest port experience ever.

The last 3 cruises I was on, I never checked my luggage. But I did arrive around 30 minutes prior to final boarding. I don't think I'll do it any other way. I just like having everything and not waiting!

I'm not sure time of arrival matters, just that if you arrive before cabins are open you will be carrying it around with you. It must fit through the scanner which is usually a bit larger than those at the airport. There have been some reports of cruisers being sent back to check their bags in so ymmv.

I'd arrive after 2pm. We've cruised on Adventure several times and once or twice staterooms did not open until 2pm.

I just carry a sling bag with me. So checking with everybody else. The crew told me at 12.30pm that the room will not be ready till 2.00 pm. But when I went to the room to leave my bag outside the room it was ready already.

1 to 1:30 pm if you are only bringing carry-ons. That is what time the cabins are opened.

We carry on EVERY cruise, and with this typical times, we target 1:15 to step on board.

Gives us some time to walk to the far side elevators where nobody is using them.

I'm not sure time of arrival matters, just that if you arrive before cabins are open you will be carrying it around with you. It must fit through the scanner which is usually a bit larger than those at the airport. There have been some reports of cruisers being sent back to check their bags in so ymmv.

The only time we've ever been turned back was in Boston. And not because of the scanner, some port person decided that we could not carry on our luggage. Which was a pain. FWIW, we've carried all of our luggage on for over 30 cruises.

When we did a Carnival this spring the porter took ALL of our bags, except shoulder bags. Lesson learned to pack differently since dinner time came around and we didn't have a change of clothes etc.

Beyond the packing lesson, I'd like to keep all of my bags unless we take a checked bag on the flight. Do you think if we arrived at 4:00 or so we could take a large checked sized bag straight to our cabin?

When we did a Carnival this spring the porter took ALL of our bags, except shoulder bags. Lesson learned to pack differently since dinner time came around and we didn't have a change of clothes etc.

Beyond the packing lesson, I'd like to keep all of my bags unless we take a checked bag on the flight. Do you think if we arrived at 4:00 or so we could take a large checked sized bag straight to our cabin?

4pm should be fine. A few weeks ago, we arrived to the Jewel at 3pm, and walked straight to our cabin.

Wanted to add that the latest we were allowed in our room was about 4:30 pm on Celebrity, due to norovirus cleaning, so it's hard to predict when you be able to get into the room. I hate having to drag my carry-on everywhere. I think Legend had a 3 PM rooms open once due to norovirus too.

We once had a B2B where we disembarked one ship and boarded another the next day. Both ships had late boarding. One due to customs, and the other due to norovirus.

In Galveston, we had a late board of 5:30 pm due to fog.

We're planning on leaving our bags at that restaurant in San Juan while we explore. I thought if we could board late enough we wouldn't have to check bags. If we were going to hang around the ship before the cabins are ready then we'd check everything for sure.

I've read about some people checking in on the ship and just leaving again to explore, then come back with their luggage. Something like that is probably what we'll do.