Free upgrades.

My status with Celebrity entitles me to a free upgrade by 1 category.So, my question is: if I book the highest inside category will my 1 category upgrade be to the cheapest priced outside? If so, what happens if all the outsides are sold out?

Does anybody know if the free upgrade is subject to availability only ?

My status with Celebrity entitles me to a free upgrade by 1 category.So, my question is: if I book the highest inside category will my 1 category upgrade be to the cheapest priced outside? If so, what happens if all the outsides are sold out?

Hi Gail,

Thinking of booking a cruise? Come join Paul and I in October!!!!!

Also, you cannot upgrade if you are booking a guarantee cabin category. Group bookings are also excluded. They do reserve the right to restrict the cabin category upgrades at their discretion ... although rarely are you turned down if you insist and there is a cabin available in the next category. I once saved over $500 with this upgrade option, even though the future cruise sales guy was not going to give it to me at first. Usually, the savings is more like $10 to $20 pp. but hey, it's better than nothing.

You do have to ask at time of booking, as CR says Celebrity do reserve the right to restrict.

Just curious -- why would the future cruise rep not want to honour? In my experience the price difference can vary a great deal, I have known a big difference be whittled down to a mere $50 or even be the same....

I also note that you cannot upgrade unless there is actually a cabin available in the lesser class. For example I received the free upgrade from A2 to A1 on my upcoming cruise. When the price dropped on A2 recently that would make a rebook worthwhile, I could not get the A2 rate as there were no cabins available, only Guaranty category bookings. The A1 rate is higher than what I paid so it was not worthwhile to rebook...yet!

I think some may believe that when booking and giving their CC number that they would be quoted on the basis of the upgrade. The benefits list doesn't say 'one category upgrade (only if you remember to ask at the time if booking).' I just feel it's a bit sneaky not to be automatic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it is subject to availability. It is only available within a category, i.e. inside to inside, outside to outside, veranda to veranda etc. through Aqua. It is only available in Concierge from C3 to C2, not to C1. Family verandas are excluded. It is also sometimes not combinable with certain TA rates, since sometimes travel agents have the cruise for sale for less than can be purchased directly from X.

You do have to ask at time of booking, as CR says Celebrity do reserve the right to restrict.

Just curious -- why would the future cruise rep not want to honour? In my experience the price difference can vary a great deal, I have known a big difference be whittled down to a mere $50 or even be the same....

I've gotten it several months after my booking was made. As a matter of fact, Celebrity called my neighbor and asked if she wanted that complimentary 1 category upgrade nearly 6 months after she had booked. So, I think it may be inconsistently applied.

The time the future cruise rep didn't want to honor that upgrade is that cruise I booked where the savings was hundreds of dollars. Either he was just bad at what he did or they told them not to offer this when the savings is over a specific amount. I can see them doing that ... say it is up to the company's discretion. Of topic, but once in Murano, I ordered both soup and a salad, along with an appetizer and entree. If I were to get both the soup and salad, the waiter told me that I would have to pay the $85 for the Five Senses menu option. I already had the premium package so that seemed totally outlandish to pay nearly $40 more for a salad. I know he must have been told to say that or why would he risk ticking off a paying customer like that? I can only think this is the same thing that happened when I tried to get that one category upgrade. The future cruise rep kind of rolled his eyes (at least that way my perception) and mentioned it was up to the cruise line on whether or not that would be offered. I did end up getting it but not until after he called someone to explain the situation. It was only an oceanview room ... so not sure why the big stink ... but it was a huge savings. In my mind, I think they must have been told that if the savings is over x amount of dollars, it may not be offered. That was a while back (2014 for a 2015 cruise) and haven't experienced it happening since then but then again, I have never seen that kind of savings again on cruises / room categories that I book.

Another time, I was in the future cruise office with a friend and they wanted Aqua Class. When asking about the one category upgrade, he tried to talk our friends out of the A1 cabins as they are all in 'lousy' locations under the pool deck. Didn't even want to entertain the thought that maybe that wouldn't bother my friends and only wanted to show them the A2 category cabins that were available. Not sure if this was the same situation as above but it could have been. However, to give the future cruise consultant the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't want an A1 over an A2 so maybe he was just trying to be helpful in this case.

I think some may believe that when booking and giving their CC number that they would be quoted on the basis of the upgrade. The benefits list doesn't say 'one category upgrade (only if you remember to ask at the time if booking).' I just feel it's a bit sneaky not to be automatic.

The rules are spelled out in the T&Cs for the Captain's Club benefits. I would imagine it's a manual undertaking to get the discount applied because of the variables involved when choosing a cabin.

Directly from the UK site:

ONE-CATEGORY UPGRADE

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 (subject to exclusions above) on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®, Celebrity Xperience℠ and Celebrity Exploration℠. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.